“A magical place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars

Maesmawr Hall Hotel
Long Length, Caersws, Newtown SY17 5SF, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Caersws
Ogden, Utah
“A magical place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We had excellent service to begin with. Our voltage converter quit working and they offered to fix it and did. The accommodations were clean, comfortable, spacious with an outstanding view of the beautiful garden. The original building was started in the 1500s and the management is working to restore into a very lovely place. They are doing a beautiful job. The linens and bedding js all new as is the bedroom decor. All of us, my husband, daughter and son-in-law wished we could stay and enjoy it longer.

• Stayed June 2013

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night back end of May 2013 as I had a business meeting in Newtown the next day. I had searched local hotels, and this one looked good.

Its at the end of a drive off the main road, and when I stayed, the bluebells were out, so it was very scenic, they also have a little wooded area and it had masses of wild garlic growing in it, which again, the white flowerheads of the garlic were very pretty.

The staff were very attentive, helpful and courteous, the hotel was in very good order for such a very old building, but from reading some of the information about the hotel, its had a lot of money spent on it over the past few years.

Its full of character, low beamed ceilings (remember to duck when you go through the bedroom door), I had I guess a suite, so it had chairs/sofa to lounge on, TV, although the number of channels on the TV were a little limited, free wireless access to the internet.

My only criticism of my particular room was, the two big cast iron radiators were on full, and it was quite warm outside, i managed to turn one off, but the other one, had the turn off missing and you would have needed an adjustable spanner (wrench for you americans reading this) to turn it off, so I opted to open the windows, which did the job, but the rooks/crows obviously like waking up as soon as it gets light, so I was woken at 4am by them cawwing. I live in the country anyway, so this wasnt a novelty to me, although it maybe to some, but just consider packing some earplugs, although they may have left later in the year.

But, all in all, a very pleasant stay and if I have to visit Laura Ashley HQ again, I will be staying here no question.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My stay here was absolutely wonderful. The grounds and rooms are beautifully kept - clean and well-maintained. We stayed in the main building and the room was very spacious. But, the service was what stood out the most - it was excellent!. Staff was very attentive to all our needs. And the food, absolutely amazing accompanied by impeccable service. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and had booked their lowest cost room, unfortunately it was tiny for 2 of us and the dog and showing it's age. The staff had said on the phone that it was small and offered me an executive suite but it was nearly twice the cost. The coach house rooms are due for a big up grade very soon so maybe we'll have to try again.

Staff where very friendly and helpful, but to me, it's quite pricey so very good service should be a given. It's in a great location and nice grounds. They need to sort out access to the river footpath but the dog enjoyed the adventure.

The breakfast was nicely presented and well prepared but I'm not sure how local the ingredients where. I have a thing about restaurants that use straight sausages!!

Room Tip: Go for the recently refurbished rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Caersws, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Have just come back from the maesmawr hotel restaurant, and had to say how excellent our meal was, i had booked a table for four but one of our guest couldn't make it, but each one of us enjoyed every part of the meal we had, and would highly recommend the restaurant.
The staff polite and courteous, we felt well look after.
I can not wait for my son to visit from the u.s.a so we can show that we too in Wales have a place to go that do excellent food.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Stoke-on-Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Maesmawr for three nights and chose a room in the coach house. We were informed before we confirmed that the room we had chosen was dated and small in comparison to rooms in the main building. Having stayed in the room we were pleasantly surprised and mentioned that if that was one of the worst we look forward to staying in one of the others. The Hotel is going through a refurbishment at the moment, but that hasn't affected our stay. The room was clean and comfortable; the Hotel has bags of character; the breakfasts were amazing and we must give special mention to Lee, David and James who were all professional, pleasant, attentive and approachable (and of course the chef who produced some amazing breakfasts). We are sure that the remainder of the staff, who we didn't meet personally, are equally as professional. We will definitely being staying at the Hotel again on future visits to the area. Not only is the Hotel a great place to stay, but it lies in some magnificent countryside.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

me and my wife stayed here for the weekend.when we arrived we were given room 1,we were being charged £120 per night for this room,wow what a disapointment,allthoughe clean the wallpaper was ripped and stained the carpet had inprints of iron marks whiche had been melted into,we had to take the head board of the bed because every time you turned it banged on the wall,the bed was terrible we rolled in the middle constantly and to finish of at 630 in the morning the central heating was knocking really loudly for approx 1hr,we complained to the manager who managed to move us to a muche better room the next day.now the good point the hotel itself is lovely full of character,the staff are a credit to this hotel very freindly and attentive,the manager was sorry dont know his name was very understanding and is also a credit to this hotel.the hotel is currently going throughe a refurb,but i feel they should drastically reduce the charge for this room or wait till this room has had a complete refurb before they let it out.

Room Tip: please note this hotel is going throughe a refurb,make sure room one is done or avoid this room at a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Maesmawr Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!