“Most Dissapointed” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bowfield Road, Howwood PA9 1DZ, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Howwood
“Most Dissapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

My husband and i have been going to the bowfield for over a year now because its local to us but we feel its out in the country so we love that side of things

First we arrived at reception and we looked at the set menu for 2 courses for dinner, we decided that this would be nice and booked our table for 8pm

On arrival we were told we were to late for this set menu and had to pay for each course which was so upsetting and misleading

We both decided to go for a swim but on the way back to our room there were no towels, i asked at reception to be told the delivery hadn't arrived but when it does we will be allocated towels to our room, which is appalling because most love a shower after swimming, and we always prefer to go back to our room for this so it is more comfortable

We were allocated a room for 2 nights facing a white wall so again asked to be moved and that seemed to be no problem

We then had a lovely stay until the morning when we went for breakfast because this was a disaster

1 There were very little tables cleaned from previous guests so we scrambled for a seat
2 We then relaxed and were offered tea/coffee which when arrived was cold so when arrived was still cold
3 We had to ask for our toast to come
4 When it came it was burnt and hard
5 My husband who decided having a few cuasoine with butter but when arrived was hard inside
6 We asked for more but all that happened was the chef heated them up in the micro so they were soft inside but still not fresh
7 We left the dinning room in disgust because of the lack of service/food

Please note if you decide to go in to the breakfast then please remember they do not top up with anything on the buffet table that has run down - But please ask the staff, although nobody should need to do this

Room Tip: Always ask for a room on upper floors , rooms on low level has little tiny windows which are dark
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
bowfieldhotel, General Manager at Bowfield Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced during your stay at Bowfield Hotel & Country Club.

I am glad the our team were able to give you a room you were happy with, although I am not aware of any of our rooms which simply look at a white wall. We are also in the process of changing our laundry supplier to eliminate the towel problem you experienced.

I have discussed your comments regarding breakfast with our Head Chef and assure you action will be taken. We do pride ourselves on good quality, simple, home made food and your experience is not what we aim to deliver.

Once again please accept my apologies and we do hope that we can welcome you back to Bowfield in the future.

Craig Stewart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Having travelled all over the world and been in some dodgy places, when I read the reviews it all sounded Greer, I can only assume the writers haven't been very far trsvelled, the only redeeming feature was the pool, it was lovely, the room smelled damp and badly needed an update, we didn't eat in the evening as we were going to a birthday dinner in Lochwinnoch, hence the overnight stay. Breakfast, what can I say, it was absolutely appalling, hard fried eggs with crispy black whites, very poor quality sausages overlooked, cardboard like bacon, even rotten chewy toast, where was all this fine dining, it was a joke, it was a disgrace, I could not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Maybe the original part is better, we were. In what I assume to be the extension, had to walk past t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

I am delighted to advise that we are planning to refurbish our bedrooms later this year and shall certainly take your comments on board with this process.

Craig Stewart

Travelers are raving about these Howwood hotels

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We held our daughters fourth birthday party here and we were really pleased with the event. It was easy to book, the staff were all very helpful and it was great value for money. The facilities were perfect - a medium sized soft play, which was available for the first hour (only the children from the party were able to use it, so it was really safe for the little ones), followed by 30 minutes of staff led games - you choose the games and provide the gifts (if you want) and they have a brilliantly sized space to allow 15+ kids to run around. They also have a decent sound system, which they set up (I provided them with kiddy music, but they have party music also). Finally, the children are taken to a room for food (again, very good) and ice cream. The staff will cut birthday cake and wrap for party bags. We also ordered tea/coffee and sandwiches for the parents - again, well priced & decent quality. We were lucky to have Donna looking after us...she was great (as was the other girl....Rachel or Debbie!) I'd recommend it to anybody looking for a well priced kiddy party and even more so as the soft play is about to be updated with a new fit out . Out little girl left saying 'that was the best birthday party EVER' :-)

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you very much for your extremely kind comments.

The girls are delighted to here your feedback, as am I and the whole team here at Bowfield.

We look forward to hosting many future parties in our new soft play area.

Thanks again

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I use this hotel during my business trips, the hotel is located on the A737 and so makes for easy travel to Glasgow or Ayr, the A737 gives easy access to the main motorway system. The hotel it's self is quaint and feels historic, the rooms are clean and the reception staff are excellent. The hotel has just added WIFI to the rooms, however I would suggest you join everyone else in the lounge.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments.

Great to have such a great review and it makes our commitment to hospitality worth all the effort. We will continue to endeavor to make things as good as you write and assure you of our commitment to this throughout our future development and improvements.

Kind regards

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I purchased an on line deal for afternoon tea with full use of leisure facilities, for my fiancé and I, we were told when we booked that towels would be provided and when we got there they told us they were not and had none at the moment but would get two to us within an hour.
When we got changed and went to go into the pool there was an aqua fit class going on so no room to swim, then thought let try the jacuzzi but it had a pipe going into it and a sign saying it was being cleaned. So we used the steam and sauna instead, after the aqua fit class we did use the poll which was very cold, there wasn't any member of staff to about until after we had been there for over an hour, then I seen a young man and asked about our towels and the jacuzzi, he said it was broken and was unlikely to be fixed anytime soon. But we did get two towels after a good while.
The changing area was fine but the showers were a bit grubby and did smell of urine.
Wasn't expecting much for the afternoon tea but I was pleasantly surprised the girl who served us was lovely and the afternoon tea was great.
When we were leaving we were not asked how our visit went so I asked for a comment card and filled it in with my address and telephone number.
We won't be hurrying back to the bowfield anytime soon.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback following your recent visit to Bowfield Hotel & Country Club.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time using the facilities, I am delighted to advise we have commenced our development of our new changing rooms which will be completed late summer. Your comments shall certainly be taken on board regarding this.

Our Jacuzzi was out of action for a few days due to an unforeseen fault, but I am delighted it is now fully operational.

I am pleased you enjoyed your afternoon tea and your kind comments regarding our team are very welcome.

Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We bought an online deal for afternoon tea with prosecco & use of pool and facilities. We found the hotel,easily enough. Had a friendly check in at reception and were shown where to go. For the spa/pool we were disappointed to find out that no towels were offered and none of us had brought any! We asked at reception and we got 2 hand towels ( for 4 people) and were told more would come in 30 mins ( they didn't).
The pool area was very dark, there was a snack area at one end that was closed and 2 loungers at the other end. The jacuzzi & steam room were good, the steam room was quite large. The changing rooms were again very dark and we found it strange there was not a spinner for wet items but plastic bags were on offer. We arrived for our afternoon tea which was lovely and fresh, and the service from the young girl & man was really good. We enjoyed a few cocktails afterwards which were enjoyable too. I think the hotel and facilities could be doing with an overall update to make it more enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your visit to Bowfield Hotel & Country Club.

I assure you your comments regarding our facilities will be taken on board as part of our ongoing refurbishment program. We have started our new changing rooms and plan to develop further areas of the hotel & club.

I am delighted you enjoyed your afternoon tea and your kind comments are very much appreciated by the team here.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I bought 2 spa and afternoon tea vouchers from Itison for my friend's birthday last month, the vouchers stating that the treatments last 30 minutes. We set out in plenty of time but got lost, and the hotel is not well sign-posted, but when we arrived, the sole receptionist was on a lengthy call, so I waited while my friend went to find the spa, but there was no- one there to sign in either. Eventually, the receptionist finished her call, but then proceeded to sign for a parcel which caused further delay. Apparently, it is only the hotel receptionist who can give you the health form to fill in before you go through to the spa area, and by the time you have done this and chosen the oils that you want for the treatment, you have very little time for the actual treatment. I did email the manager and was told that he took my comments on board, but was not offered any recompense.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
bowfieldhotel, General Manager at Bowfield Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to Bowfield Hotel & Country Club.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment you experienced during your visit.

I am sorry that you were unable to accept the alternative appointments you were offered when you arrived late for your appointments. This offer was made by our therapists who did not want to inconvenience any of our other clients on the day by making all our treatments over run.

I can also confirm that from the main A737 road that there are tourist board signs directing you to Bowfield Hotel & Country Club at every junction.

I do hope that you will consider returning to Bowfield in the future and enjoying some more treatments.

Your sincerely

Craig Stewart

Been to Bowfield Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!