“Lovely meal out” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My friend and I had a lovely day at the Spa in Quy and we're starving when we left. We quickly checked online if the White Swan serves food on a Saturday night and went straight away. We stayed in the bar area and it was lovely. The atmosphere is like a real local pub and you feel very welcome. I had only been once before and I remember that I really enjoyed it then too. People are friendly, the menu is really nice and the food not only tastes very nice, it is also presented very nicely. I know that the owners also run the Brunswick in town and I'm looking forward to giving that a go. It's so nice to get a nice home cooked meal (I had a vegetarian pie and my friend had the fish pie followed by apple-strudel). I even asked for a take away dinner for my other half as the food was so nice. All in all I can just say, try for yourself, chances are you won't be disappointed!

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Superb food, fine beer, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

The line-up of cask ales in this family-run free house usually includes the lovely citrusy JHB from Oakham Brewery alongside Adnams, Woodfordes and one or two more obscure names. They are all carefully looked after of course; they really care about beer at the White Swan.
The food is superb - top restaurant standard but much more affordable. Last night my friend and I both chose what turned out to be an amazing dish: medallions of wild boar fillet (served delightfully pink) with a caramelised onion and wild mushroom bread and butter pudding, green beans and a fabulously rich juniper gravy. Amazing! Those diners who chose from a wide selection of home-made pies were equally delighted and the cheeseboard was excellent too.
There was a great atmosphere in the pub which was populated by a good balance of dedicated locals and visitors. And, best of all, there was none of that ghastly canned music!
The toilets were spotless and we were even offered a lift home by a staff member at the end of the evening. It doesn't get much better!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely Sunday Roast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We arrived at midday without booking and were seated in the bar area, right by a cosy log burner. The staff could not have been friendlier to us or our two young children with our meals arriving promptly. The portion sizes (2 adult, 2 kids) were very generous, and very good value. Just a shame that we had no room for some very tempting deserts.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A gem of a find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Looks like just a standard pub from the outside, inside is a very warm welcome .
We went here as we were meeting a friend and this was in the middle of both destinations.

Arrived early 5.30pm, but they didn't serve food until 6pm, so we ordered drinks, sat down, a lovely friendly lady came over with the menus and a specials board and said that as soon as we had decided she would put the order through.

They food arrived was amazing, better than most restaurants that I have eaten in, the presentation was a work of art and it all tasted delicious.

I would recommend this pub and can not wait to go again.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ware, United Kingdom
“Shocking experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Myself, my husband, my 3 young children, my mother and father in law and 2 of their friends came here to eat on the 1st Jan. I rang before we came to ask if my 5 month old puppy chihuahua was allowed in as well and they said yes, but just in the bar area which was fine.
We all sat down and ordered our food which we thought was a tad expensive (£11.50 for fish and chips) and had to wait a very long time for it to come out even though they were not busy. We asked for 3 child portions of fish and chips but only got 2, my young daughter received a adult size. We mentioned it as the lady brought it out and also when she took the plates away. Her reply was 'well it has all been eaten hasn't it?' What she should have said was 'sorry and of course you will not be charged for a adult size portion' but customer service didnt seem to be her strong point.
I took my puppy outside every 15 minutes to see if he needed the toilet but on the occassions I took him out he didnt. Then as I was in conversation my 8 year old son noticed he needed to go and went to take hom outside but the owner started to stroke our puppy by the door which stopped my son from taking him ot for a few seconds, by which this point our puppy had started to go to the toilet (number 2 unfortunately). BUT it was only 2 small bits and I very quickly took him outside to finish and my daughter picked the poo up from the mat by the door. As I was outside with the puppy while he finished, the lady owner snapped at me to get back inside to clear it up as it was upsetting all her customers (there was only about 4 people in there apart from us) and we had just spend alot of money with them!
When I went back in the man owner was cleaning it up and ranting and raving about the dog 'crapping everywhere' and how we hadnt apologised! I apologised myself 3 times to which his reply was a grunt.
I would like to point out that he was a puppy chihuahua so would hardly crap everywhere. Just a note, do not leg dogs in your pub unless you can expect and accept the odd accident. Your reaction was unecessary, rude and shocking. My children were upset by what happened and we just all sat there when we got home, gobsmacked. We had a lovely stay at the Missing Sock which is just up the road and was very sad to have ended it as it did at your pub.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gerry S, Owner at The White Swan, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for visiting our pub. Your review is factually inaccurate, you allowed an untrained animal to defecate in a public place, there was no apology, you scurried out without any embarrassment or thought for anyone else and you became offensive when confronted by your actions. The only thing you neglected to mention was that you were barred from the pub for your behaviour. We love and we welcome well behaved animals unfortunately you did not fit in to either category.