“A backwater worth visiting” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: European
Northamptonshire
“A backwater worth visiting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

It was our anniversary and also the day of Andy Murray's final at Wimbledon, when we visited the Millhouse Restaurant at the Cambridge Quy Mill Hotel and considering that the hotel boasts two AA-Rosettes, we were rather surprised to find it nearly empty.

Quite why, beggars belief! My wife and I enjoyed a very tasty Treacle Cured Salmon for starters and our son plumped for the Ham Hock Terrine - both were exceptionally good! Mains saw the others enjoy pan-fried cod with new potatoes, whilst I went for the traditional roast; lamb, it was this week. The fish was cooked to perfection and I have to say that my little lamb gave up its life most honourably, to provide one of the tastiest roast lamb dinners that I have eaten for many a long year. Vegetables (included) were copious and many went back to the kitchen untouched, so parsimony is not a feature of this eatery! Dessert saw my wife and I enjoying mint poached strawberries with a prosecco syllabub, whilst our son went for the chocolate brownie and home-made icecream (well, he is only 12!) Both were absolutely delectable.

The wine list is eminently affordable, with the most expensive offering locking in at £65 (in so many AA-rosetted restaurants, you can often find wine priced in the stratosphere) but here the list had been carefully thought through and most tastes would be satisfied... as it was summer, we went for the Italian Rose at a very good value £19 a bottle! My one quibble was that I almost had to beg to see the winelist... asking for it four times seemed a tad excessive!

I have to say, there are few restaurants where I can find a menu where not a single dish is unappealing, but this was the case here... if I were a glutton, I could easily have enjoyed every single item on the menu and this did rather make the choice difficult - but we all left well sated and pleasantly replete to listen to Andy Murray's triumph on Radio 5 Live in the car on the way home!

A perfect summer's Sunday lunch!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Where do I start. I have already written a review for the hotel (which was great) and I did not want the terrible "fine dining" experience we had at the restaurant to affect the very good rating that I gave it. The menu only has five starters and five mains for the first two courses so when we were told they had run out of scallops (which was on two, or 20%, of the courses) we should have gone somewhere else. Although the restaurant was fairly empty we were sat by the door on the smallest table in the room and subsequent couples who were seated were also seated around this door area, the reason for this I do not know, perhaps to make the place look busy on a friday night. I have to say that if a restaurant is trying to be fine dining then the staff should not be dressed the same as the bar and hotel staff in aprons and open shirts and a little bit of customer service training for these particular members of staff would not go amiss. The atmosphere in the restaurant was like a morgue, every single noise of the fork on plate or whisper of conversation between diners could be heard. There was some horrendous Jazz music for the first hour or so but this just stopped during the main course leaving our whispers as the only sounds. We were asked if we wanted any bread before the starters and we paused in making our decision only momentarily due to the fact that we did not want to fill ourselves too much, before the impatient waitress stated "it is complimentary you know!" My starter was distinctly average, a hot smoked salmon which tasted ok. My wife ordered the pumpkin soup with Baji and as the waiter placed the soup on the table just as he was about to walk away he said "oh yeah, we've run out of Baji's". No scallops and no baji's, things were getting worse but I was assured by the manager that the chef was saving the scallops for the accompaniment to the main which was a fillet of hallibut. Now I'm not usually pedantic but when the menu says scallops you expect more than one. Not in this case. I had one scallop, one prawn and a fillet of fish that was only slightly bigger than the scallop. The flavours again were average and certainly not worth the price. My wifes steak was okay, fairly lean, not the most tender in the world, but for £26 I would certainly have expected better. I did make an attempt to tell the waitress how disappointed I was but she found the story of the missing baji quite amusing. We couldn't take any more and left before the deserts. There have been some good reviews of this restaurant but we certainly did not have the best of experiences. I have eaten in many fine dining and michelin starred restaurants and this restaurant certainly does not compare with others of similar price or reputation. Won't be going back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“What a treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had lunch here as a stop off on our long journey home. We had had a terrible experience in the hotel we had been staying in in Birmingham and were in desperate need of TLC, Quy Mill certainly delivered. Nothing was too much trouble for the helpful and polite staff and the food we ordered was excellent, and promptly served, despite our not having a reservation and there being a large party in one of the other rooms. The ambience was perfect - calm, quiet and relaxed and every room we went in was spotlessly clean. My meal - Gosts Cheese salad followed by risotto was, strangely, exactly the same as that offered as the vegetarian option at the wedding we had travelled north for, but what a difference! My husband had soup so lovely I wanted it as well, but he wouldn't share. His bubble and squeak, haddock and poached egg was, he says, heavenly and he didn't want it to finish. Even the bread, butter and oil with balsamic was delicious. If passing by we will go again. Thank you Quy Mill.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Skelmersdale, United Kingdom
“Helpful and friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

They very kindly gave us a room to ourselves for the pre wedding meal the night before. Several of us are vegetarian and were pleased that there were several options. The food was excellent and the staff very helpful.

Visited August 2012
Cambridge
“Perfect for summer evenings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel is a perfect place to stay, lovely hotel within grounds and close to Cambridge. The only downside is the food, very a la carte and not very good value for money I would not recomend eating in this hotel.

Visited November 2011