“Absolutely Unfair!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Gwytherin B&B and Inns
berkshire uk
“Absolutely Unfair!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I note with some incredulity a review of this property by P8R.My wife and I have just come back from our second visit to The Lion and believe me I demand high standards!This is probably the best bed and breakfast we have ever had the pleasure to stay in.It is a pub and being the excellent hosts that they are Tim and Fiona s do nothing less than bid ,as P8R puts it ,a fond farewell to their guests when the bar closes,only good manners surely?I can only assume the reviewer like us retires rather early, but good humoured farewells even at midnight did not cause us to lose any sleep.The proprietors make incoming guests fully aware of the lack of phone signal and internet at their property however.they are the most obliging of hosts and are happy to offer use of the landline and Tims laptop if required.. I for one find it rather refreshing that there are no mobiles ringing or being used.I also find Tim an excellent conversationlist who is both rather knowledgeable and very empathetic.From my experience he knows when you want to chat and is happy to hold a conversation or indeed he is wise enough to leave you alone if the mood demands.I am sure if P8R had asked Tim he would have cut down the tree or exterminated the jackdaws if requested!!I can only suggest that the ideal place for this reviewer would be one of the large plastic hotel chains or similar rather than waste his time at this beautiful location in outstanding accomodation with superb food and cracking real ale.Forgive me if I sound like a member of The Lion fan club but this place is an absolute gem and i believe the critical comments very much out of place and basically unfair

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Lion is run by Fiona and Tim. Fiona is very much in charge of the kitchen and Tim manages the bar. The place is scrupulously clean and the food is good. A three course dinner without wine will set you back around £25/£30 a head. No complaints there and no complaints with breakfast either. Our main complaint is the total lack of mobile phone service and exceptionally poor Internet service. We were offered the use of our hosts landline but not ideal by any means. We stayed in "Lavender", the only way we could get online was to stand directly in front of the bedroom door, and then connection was intermittent. The location is in a quite little village, quiet that is until chucking out time, when Tim and bar guests bid each other a fond farewell at midnight, and then at 5.30 am we were woken by the noisiest Jackdaw and family on the planet.

Look closely at the geographic location. It's not within strolling distance of anywhere.

If you like a pub, come a slightly posh B & B with decent food without any interruptions from your mobile phone the Lion might be for you. Good luck with Tim, he does like to chat!

Stayed July 2013
Location
Sleep Quality
Rooms
Cleanliness

Room Tip: Go for Lavender in hot weather as you have two windows with good air through flow
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I booked on Friday morning to stay that same weekend, finding out when we arrived I had just managed to secure the room due to a cancellation - all I can say is lucky us!! This was a lovely Inn in an idyllic location. Tim and Fiona were wonderfully welcoming and the service received was impeccable. To say Fiona was not a fan of cooking, the food was delicious and all freshly cooked to order - dinner washed down with excellent wine recommended by Tim. The room was clean and charming with all the expected comforts. I would definitely recommend the Inn and we would definitely stay again

• Stayed July 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband my mother in law and I have just returned from a three night dinner bed and breakfast stay We had a lovely lovely experience Tim and Fiona were exceptionally skilled We all felt truly looked after Thank you from Margaret David and Joan

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This Inn is located in a very small remote hamlet surrounded by hills with no passing traffic so very quiet and peaceful. The room was spotlessly clean, and very comfortable, the restaurant immaculate and the pub very cosy. Tim and Fiona are incredibly friendly and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. In our case this extended to waiting up for us to arrive until 2.30am! Breakfasts are generous and the choice of food in the evening is very good and cooked to order provided Fiona knows in advance what you require. Perfect spot for walkers and you can come and go as you please as you are given a key to the front door! We will definitely return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Tim and Fiona,

Thank you so much for our stay this weekend, I booked on the strength of reviews on here and I have to say it is all true. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the pub, restaurant and room were all immaculately presented and it is clear you take great pride in what you do. I enjoyed sampling the welsh ale (whatever it was called) and the meal and breakfasts we had were delicious. Your hospitality and friendliness were the cherry on the cake and all in all made it the perfect weekend.

We stayed as a base for our assault on snowdon and I would recommend the lion inn to anybody looking to stay in this area as it is surrounded by plenty to see and do, there were walks available right from the doorstep in the lovely welsh countryside and also games and DVDs etc. available to amuse the kids if the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Just perfect!

Room Tip: We stayed in sage, the family room which was very comfortable but I'm sure all the rooms are of...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have just returned from our second stay at The Lion Inn and we will certainly return again. The remote location is an ideal escape for rest and relaxation. The inn is kept to the highest standards with spotless rooms, stylish decor and every detail thought through. Fiona and Tim are great and they couldn't be more friendly or helpful. The food is superb, the bar cosy and the games/DVDs very handy (we sat out in the garden and played chess while listening to sheep, horses and birds). A fantasic inn with really lovely hosts. Thank you to Tim and Fiona.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lion Inn Gwytherin? Share your experiences!