“Top Notch B & B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Winifred's Rest B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trefriw
Winifred's Rest B&B
You added Winifred's Rest B&B to your Saves list
Conway Road (B5106), Trefriw, Snowdonia National Park LL27 0RQ, Wales   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Trefriw B&B and Inns
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Top Notch B & B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We recently visited Winifred's Rest B & B for a three day visit, sharing the twim room with private bathroom. We found Gwen delightful, very friendly and hospitable. We were visiting for Mountain Biking and Gwen accommodated our requests for storage and washing the bikes. The B & B was very clean, decorated in a modern feel with a relaxing and carming feel. The room was of an adequate size. I found the bed slightly uncomfortable due to my height, but an average size individual certainly would find it fine. The room had good facilities, and having a private bathroom that was adjacent to the room was a benefit rather than a negative. The B & B location is well situated. The Fairy is just over the bridge and the Ship is just down the road. Good food and ale. Gwen was kind enough to accommodate our request for an evening meal on short notice. The meal was the best Thai meal I have had for a long long time and would highly recommend that you request one. Restaurant prices, but worth it. The Breakfast was the best I have ever had in a B & B. Both the full Engligh Breakfast and the Dutch Pancakes were lovely. Locally resourced food. Certainly enough energy for a hard day in the hills. If you are visiting for a long weekend, I would recommending eating at the B & B one night, and the Ship the next. One word of caution, wait to stroke the dog when gwen is around. It is a lovely dog but has a small issue with enthusiastic strangers. In summary, I would highly recommend a visit to the village and to Winifred's B & B. I'm not one to stop trying new accommodation, but this is certainly a high standard to beat in the area. Thank You Gwen for such a lovely stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Pipsquik, Owner at Winifred's Rest B&B, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Robert,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your experience of your stay at Winifred's Rest. We are delighted that you found our establishment relaxing and the food enjoyable. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back next time you're in the area.

Many thanks,indeed. We wish you both all the very best.

Kind regards
Gwen Ong

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

We had a lovely 2 night stay at Winifred's rest. It was following our graduation and Gwen even gave us a bottle of wine when we arrived. We saved the wine, however, for the second night and had it with the Asian meals cooked in house which were superb - really really tasty, clearly lovingly cooked. In short, something a bit special.

Trefriw is a lovely area stunning scenery and nice walking. We had a lovely time and are definitely planning to return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I booked the 3 rooms for 4 days and found out that there are 4 bedrooms not 3 as on the internet because we were told the guests in Bedroom 1 had to be evicted in the middle of the night due to causing a disturbance. No complaints with the food, the decor is simple and pleasant, but I would dispute 4 star rating. Our stay was marred by coffee spilt on the bedcovers and a bill for £34.83 for replacement of top sheet and duvet cover. I asked Gwen about this and said the top cover had been washed with bleach, but it was still stained. I did not agree about the duvet cover as there had been no attempt to wash it as it was still on the bed. Her mother sugested a hand wash and then a machine wash. Gwen's answer was 'Mother our lives dont revolve around washing'. As there is no where to sit apart from the beds then I would expect that at times there will be accidents, but if there is then beware you will have to pay for extra washing or replacement. The duvet cover was washed and it was OK, but I was charged £4.00 for extra washing. The final bill I had to pay (in cash) was £25.20. I took the top sheet home rubbed with some neat bleach washed on 60 degree wash and the stain has come out. I am sorry to say that we did not experience the helpful and friendly manner which is reported in other reviews.

Room Tip: Dont choose room 2 as it is above the kitchen and every morning at 7.00 you hear water turning on an...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Pipsquik, Owner at Winifred's Rest B&B, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Dear Mrs Ross,

I'm sorry your experience at Winifred's Rest left you somewhat dissatisfied. We provide 2 chairs in each guest room so guests don't have to sit on their beds whilst enjoying a beverage. We also allow our guests the luxury of the large lounge with a 42 inch wall mounted tv and stereo set where guests can also chill out with their drinks. We've never had problems with our guests having tea or coffee in their rooms - that's why the hampers are there.

I would, however, have appreciated if your son and his girlfriend had informed me of the spillage when it happened rather than try to tuck the damage out of sight between the bedside table and the bedstead. Incidentally, it wasn't just the sheets that were affected but the carpet had to be scrubbed out as the stain had set overnight. I was disappointed that two adults old enough to make a baby did not think it important enough to tell us about the accident which you had eventually had to pay for. We believe in providing good service but Mrs Ross but we do not drop everything to hand wash duvet covers at your request to try to get a stain out.

As for the 4th room you mentioned, I'm truly perplexed. The fourth room is actually a store room where we keep sheets and other supplies. There were no other guests present at the time of your stay. I think you may have confused us with another B&B.

Once more, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your experience. I wish you and your family well.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

It was an absolute pleasure staying at the Winifred's Rest B&B. Gwen went out of her way to make us feel welcome and she certainly went the extra mile to ensure that our needs were met. Our dog was also in her element and even had her own dog bowl and treats in the room. The room and bathroom were exceptionally clean and very comfortable. We had our own little 'hamper' with biscuits, tea, coffee, milk and bottled water - certainly more than you would find in other hotels. The full English breakfast was fantastic and all the ingredients of high quality. We highly recommend the Winifred's Rest B&B. It certainly exceeded our expectations and we will definitely come back. Thanks Gwen!
A&G and Cassie

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

We spent 4 nights at this fabolous B&B and we were absolutely delighted about everything. Gwen decorates and maintains the house very nice. The room was very cozy and clean and the breakfast was amazing. Selfmade pancaces as well as English breakfast are available. Parking is possible behind the house and the area is perfect for day trips to the Snowdon, Anglesey and so on. In conclusion, it all exceeded our expectations!!!!!!!!!!! We will come back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Shipley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

In my experience, particularly in the UK, one infrequently experiences service which is genuinely orientated to the customer but this is what the owner of Winifred's rest has managed to achieve.

The B&B itself is very clean and tastefully decorated. Car parking is to the rear and off the main road - which we appreciated more when we saw where guests appeared to have to park in other locations.

The toiletries and tea/coffee biscuits provided in-room are of a very good standard and variety.

There are a good range of options for breakfast and the owner's home cooked Asian options for dinner are excellent. At short notice the owner also provided us with a very acceptable pack lunch to fuel a day's walking.

Room Tip: Excellent location for walking
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Liskeard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Not sure where to start really, because it was all so good!

The location is great for exploring the village, and Snowdonia. The guest house is scrupulously clean, the room was small (but very comfy King sized bed) and it had everything you needed and wanted - tea/coffee, water, biscuits, toiletries.

Breakfast was lovely, well cooked and fresh and we also choose to have an evening meal with my mother and brother in law who were on holiday with us but staying in another guest house. It was suberb south east Asian food and plates were left very clean!

Gwen the owner has a dog and it's a very dog friendly place (they were greeted with a large bowl of water and a bag of treats each!)

I had to do three hours of work on my first morning there, which was completely unexpected. Gwen leant me her laptop and insisted that the dogs came out of our room and use the small garden and she would keep an eye on them. I worked in the sunny dining room and could concentrate on what I needed to do knowing they weren't cooped up and bored. One sunbathed and the other followed Gwen around for most of the morning!

We will definitely stay again, very reasonably priced and just a lovely experience. Nothing is too much trouble. And I would just like to say that people that don't have dogs, sometimes avoid dog friendly places because they think they'll be less clean - couldn't be further from the truth, an exceptionally clean and stylish place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Winifred's Rest B&B? Share your experiences!