“Quirky, homely B&B in a fantastic position for walks.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Balsporran Cottage Bed and Breakfast

Save Saved
You added Balsporran Cottage Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Balsporran Cottage Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Drumochter Pass, Dalwhinnie PH19 1AF, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Dalwhinnie B&B and Inns
Aberdeenshire
“Quirky, homely B&B in a fantastic position for walks.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I just stayed one night in Balsporran before I took part in the Drumochter Estate grouse count along with my German Shorthaired Pointer, who stayed in the room with me. The white house is easily spotted from the A9 and sits right by the railway line as it used to be used by railway workers prior to conversion to the comfortable home it is today. Phil and Ann are welcoming hosts who have done a lovely job of converting the place.
My room was small although we a decent sized bathroom, and scrupulously clean. I enjoyed seeing the trains go by my window and they stop at night so they didn't disturb me, nor did the traffic on the A9 which is far enough away not to be a problem. The midges however, are a problem once you are outside so come prepared! I would have liked to open the window in my room but was a little scared of being eaten alive!
I enjoyed an evening meal which is taken in the dining room along with other guests at one big table - this was nice for me being on my own.
There is a level crossing right by the house and you are instantly on the beautiful Drumochter/Ralia Estate so there are plenty of walking opportunities.
Ann prepared me a packed lunch for the grouse count which was great. My whole stay including everything was £67 so very reasonable. I will definitely stay here when I am in the area again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

We have just spent 3 nights at Balsporran, and despite the harsh weather ,we had a lovely time ,great B&B ,lovely hostsand amazing location.We heard and felt the trains go past, while being cosy in our well set up room.....We will return....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Shipley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

It's out a bit in the middle of nothing, the closest wee town being Dalwhinnie, so one needs a reason to come here, like climbing a particular Munro. But the B&B is lovely, the owners are obliging, and all the rooms are en suite.

• Stayed October 2010
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

My husband and I stay here for 2 nights and it was great. Ann and Phil were great hosts, we stayed up the first night chatting. We did some traveling the following day and the location was a great half way point to our desitnation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I stayed here, probably the same night as the previous reviewer, with my young son and a family relative, who had stayed here before on a few occasions. It was on his recomendation that we stayed here, on our way up to Durness, and what a recomendation!

It is a snall (4 bedroom) B&B in an absolutley stunning location. The views out of the guest lounge (which is both ample and very comfortable) are breathtaking and the hosts are very lucky indeed to live here.

It is just off the A9, but far enough away so that traffic noise is not an issue. It is also very close to the railway line, in fact our bedroom was probably the closest one to it, and I agree with the previous reviewer, this just adds to the charm and character of the experience. My son was very excited everytime a train went by, which wasn't too often, and I think the last train was at 22.00 and the first one in the morning was 07.30 ish, so it wasn't intrusive at all.

We enjoyed our stay so much we stopped over on our way back from Durness. We were made to feel very welcome.

The food was great. They make a lovey venison (Stalkers) pie, and I enjoyed haggis on our return visit.

I enjoyed the stay so much I was prompted to write ths, my very first review on Trip Advisor, and I would not hestitate to recomend the Balsporran to anyone.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
annBalsporranB_b, owner at Balsporran Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 13, 2009
Thanks for your comments Shane. Hope to see you next time you're in Scotland. Ann
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

My husband and I only stopped one night but were absolutely delighted with the cottage and the scenery was spectacular. What on earth the last reviewer was on about I don't know.......yes it is near to a major road but not near enough for it to spoil your stay. The noise from the road was minute and when you were in the cottage you could hear absolutely nothing and yes it does shake a little when the train goes by but so what it just adds to the quirkyness of the place. We went on to stop in a 5* b and b after this which wasn't a patch on Balsporran. Rooms were lovely and the breakfast was just the ticket for somebody who was cycling 90 miles!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
annBalsporranB_b, owner at Balsporran Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 2, 2009
Thanks Vicki for your kind words. Glad you enjoyed your stay.
south
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

Balsporran Cottage is a nice place but unfortunately it is stuck between the main road (A1) to Perth (with lots of trucks) and the train tracks right next to it, just under its windows. The house actually shivers when the trains pass. Unfortunately, that information was not apparent neither on their website nor on that of the Scottish tourism board or in the accomodation guide.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Balsporran Cottage Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!