“Would recommend to anyone” 5 of 5 stars

Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Berwick Road, Little Sutton CH66 4PS, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Little Sutton
Wakefield
“Would recommend to anyone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

I stayed here for one night with my 13 year old son. We were away on a short break to cheer us up after a family bereavement. We were there to visit Chester Zoo and Cheshire Oaks. The reviews we read about the hotel were mixed but we booked anyway and were so glad we did. We were in one of the refurbished rooms and it was modern and comfortable with everything we could need. The room and bathroom were tidy, clean, modern and very nice. We both used the pool which although small was lovely and warm and very clean and we enjoyed it very much. I also used the gym which despite being small had good equipment and I felt much better after my workout. We ate in the restaurant and the food was good as was breakfast in the morning. All the staff we encountered were very pleasant and we couldn't have asked for more. Thank you to everyone for making our short stay so lovely. The location was good both for the zoo and the shopping centre and we would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

503 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Checked in with a group of app 70 pax, my wife and I had friends in the area and checked with the management that we could eat seperate and off the main menu and we would pay for any differences.
Went to bar for pre dinner drink and was told I needed registration card to charge to our room, as we hadn't been given one the bar man refused to serve us asking for a credit card, when I gave him my credit card told me to take it to reception, who then insisted taking a pre authorization for a set amount, saying that it was hotel policy , asked for manager and all we got was a arrogant and aggressive person who insisted that I pay for all prior to receiving it. We left with our friends and had a fantastic dinner and very pleasant service in the wonderful Wheatsheaf pub in Raby Wirral.
On checking out the very rude and abrasive staff insisted that it was normal policy in the hotels, NOT in any I have stayed all over the world and I am in my 60's.
Appalling , outrageous, and extremely arrogant I have never been accused of been a thief before and am well aware that it is a criminal offense to consume food & beverage without paying for it . They then took an elderly man and his wife off the bus claiming that he had not paid for his bottle of wine and only by the luck of God he had paid for it with a €20 note which they found in the till, once again no apology.
It is management & staff like this that is doing so much damage to the hotel industry and perhaps to should change jobs to Sumo wrestlers or some such appropriate work

• Stayed October 2010
gm-woodhey, Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2010
I was very sorry to hear that this guest felt that he had been treated badly by my team members at the Woodhey House Hotel.

We do care about what matters to our guests and I am concerned that our guest felt that he had been subjected to a serious accusation of theft. Off duty, but in close proximity to our reception desk I witnessed the conversation. My team members only spoke politely and professionally to this gentleman and only tried to confirm our company policy for taking pre-authorisation for extra's purchased on room accounts. At no time was any type of accusation made to this gentleman.

If indeed I had heard my staff being rude to a guest I would have intervened immediately.
In reference to pre-authorisation for credit accounts to rooms, this is a common procedure implemented by most hotel companies in this country.

I am sorry that we were deemed unprofessional and rude in this situation. If we make mistakes in our hotel we endeavour to correct them, but we will also apply our right to respond if we feel that comments made on a public website misinterpret a situation and which could have a negative impact on other individuals' views of this hotels and our service standards.

Travelers are raving about these Little Sutton hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

booked this hotel through dealcheckers all inclusive two night stay. six of us stayed friday to sunday and had a ball. hotel was spotless food was great helped your self to breakfast with someone coming round with tea and coffee (great for a hangover). the staff were so helpful and friendly couldnt have made our stay any better recommened to friends and they are going this weekend . will definetly go back again

keep up the good work thanks again joanne jones

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Burnley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Good location for shopping at Cheshire Oaks and also only about 7 miles from Chester. Excellent price, including food and drink all weekend & all of excellent quality. Staff very helpful especially Matt. Will be back!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
leeds
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

Very disappointment with the poor standard of the room. Someone had been smoking in the room, the room was very tired, dirty and the mattress was very stained.
Breakfast was not hot and items such as the eggs and coffee needed refreshing.

The staff seemed pleasant however, l would never recommend this hotel and will never go there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

Had read previous reviews and was a bit worried as I was travelling with my mum who is 81. our room was extremely clean (I checked beds etc) and was surprised by the hotel overall. The bar and dining room were fine and the choice of food offered was to be of a high standard and extremely tasty. I suffer from coelia disease and the staff catered for me without any problem at all. The only fault is the hotel is a bit remote and there is no entertainment, so after your meal can be a bit boring.If you have your own transport there are a few other pubs close by. I would have no hesitations about booking this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

After reading some of the reviews we were a bit dubious about visiting this hotel but all our fears were unfounded. We had booked by phone and Jenny had been very patient and helpful regarding all our queries. We checked in on the dot of 2.00 p.m. and our rooms were ready for us, no waiting around and Maria who checked us in was very friendly and explained all that we needed to know.
We had specifically asked for ground floor rooms but, on reflection, it would maybe have been better to request the first floor as we didn't have much of a view, only a hedge, albeit a very nice green one!!! The room was not overly large but not small either and it was bright and sunny. There was a flat screen TV, tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer, toiletries in the bathroom and nice fluffy towels. It was very clean and the beds were comfortable. We were in the newer wing of the hotel so we didn't get chance to check out the older part. Apparently the hotel has been under new management since February 2009 and since then has had 30 rooms re-furbished.
It appears to be wheelchair friendly as there are ramps around the hotel. Offers change every two months and these, according to the Reception staff, can be checked with them or on Travel Zoo or Hotel Shop on the internet.
The pool was small but very warm and, according to our friends, the steam room and sauna were first class. The only downside about the leisure facilities were the changing rooms, these do need updating which, apparently, will happen at some time in the future. There was a musty smell in the corridor outside the pool area but it was confined to a very small space and did not impinge on our enjoyment of the pool and facilities. We used the pool on both days and the first day we had it to ourselves and on the second day there were only three other people around. It was like having our own private swimming pool.
I must say something here about the staff and this includes all of them ~ Reception, waiters and bar staff with whom we came into contact. They were, without exception, very friendly and helpful. When we arrived we found the batteries in the remote control were missing ~ obviously the person in the room before us had removed them!!! I went to Reception where two of the cleaning ladies were just about to go home but insisted on coming with me to the room to sort it out [how often would you get that in a hotel, most seem to want to leave for home as soon as humanly possible]. I tried to dissuade them to let them go home but they wouldn't take "no" for an answer and soon sorted new batteries out for us.
There was free internet access but I found it only worked in the lounge area. There may have been some rooms with mains connection but it wasn't available in our room. The only real downside for us were the chairs in the lounge which were not very comfortable when sitting there for a few hours. However we are elderly travellers so maybe this is not something that would worry younger people. The settees were low, squashy and comfortable.
The food was very good and the menu varied, I would think there would be something to suit everyone bar very picky eaters. The following is the menu from the second night of our stay
STARTERS
Soup of the day [this night it was leek and potato, the previous night was tomato]
Tuna Salad with Cucumber and Red Onion drizzled with Olive Oil Greek Salad of Feta Cheese, Tomato, Cucumber and Red Onion [ they had forgotten to change this item on the menu and it was Mozzarella Salad but, no matter, was still good] Deep Fried Mushrooms Stuffed with Stilton Cheese
MAIN COURSES
Oven Baked Plaice Fillet sat upon a bed of Stir Fry Vegetables with a Butter Lemon Sauce Pan Seared Port Loin Steak served with Sautee Potatoes and Calvados Sauce [this sauce was sublime] Stir Fry Chicken in Black Bean Sauce served with a Timbale of Basmati Rice Turkey Pizza ~ Turkey Breast Topped with Vegetable Ratatouille & Buffalo Mozzarella Vegetable Tikka Massalla served with Basmati Rice Char Grilled Sirloin Steak with Homemade Chips and Grilled Garnish [£4 supplement]
DESSERTS
Selection of Farmhouse Cheeses and Biscuits Apple Crumble served with fresh Dairy Cream Profiteroles with Chocolate Sauce Vanilla Cheesecake served with Wild Berry Compote Classic Creme Brulee
SIDE ORDERS
Chips £2.50 Onion Rings £2.50 Garlic Bread £2.25 Garlic Bread with Cheese £2.50 Side Salad £2.50 Steak Sauces £1.50
The standard of the food and presentation was very good. It was hot and we didn’t have to wait long for any course.
The deal we had was Bed, Breakfast, Lunch, Evening Meal [two courses either starter and main or main and dessert] and all drinks between 7.00 and 11.00 p.m. for £44.00 pp. When you think that you would pay £35 + for Bed and Breakfast anywhere I think you will agree that this was a good deal. We had two nights there, plenty to eat and drink and only paid £1 when we left which was for newspapers.
Breakfast was freshly cooked and very hot, even the toast was hot and crisp. There was a choice of three juices, a Deli section consisting of Ham and Salami Plate, Cheese Plate, Danish Pastries and Croissants. The “Healthy Burst” consisted of a selection of fruits, natural Yoghurt, Strawberry Coulis, dried apricots, sultanas, nuts, muesli, cornflakes, Special K, Rice Krispies, Bran Flakes and Weetabix. There was freshly brewed coffee and a choice of teas ~ even down to green tea. Our friends had the full English breakfast which consisted of eggs [any which way you wanted them], bacon, tomatoes, sausage, hash browns, beans, mushrooms and fried bread.
Regarding the breakfast I think that at the weekends and at other times when they are busy the breakfast would be put into bain maries and would be on a help yourself basis but as it was quiet was cooked to order by the chef. I believe that weekends are very busy.
If you want a 5* hotel with luxurious facilities then this is not for you, find somewhere and pay 5* prices, if you want a short break in a hotel which is out in the country, has good food, is reasonably priced, has exceptionally friendly staff, is clean and comfortable then the Woodhey House Hotel will fit the bill nicely. We are certainly looking forward to going back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel? Share your experiences!