“Gorgeous birthday treat” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Southern UK
“Gorgeous birthday treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

On my birthday, 6th August, my (generous) husband booked us a table at La Perle. It was not our first visit and I looked forward to enjoying another great evening. Being Tuesday it was 'mussels night', always a bonus for me as I was born in Vendée on the west coast of France where mussels were frequently served at home when I was a kid (well, still served today too!). We had a lovely table by the window and started the evening with a Kir. I chose the 'crevettes' for starter - HUGE portion and the mayonnaise was out of this world (yes, just like Maman used to make - no joke ;-)) My husband had the Lymngton dressed crab, just as lovely and delicious. I then had the mussels (and as I'm cheeky, asked the waitress to put a few more on my plate as it was my birthday). So, again, I was served with a very generous portion of Moules Marinieres - yummy-finger-licking-yummy. Husband had the lamb which was beautifully presented and perfect.
It is a fairly small restaurant (advisable to book) and the French owner/chef most definitely knows is trade. It's a pity he never seems to make an appearance in the restaurant to chat with customers... but, I guess diners prefer to think he keeps busy in the kitchen rather than make everyone wait for their food if he spent too much time in the restaurant. The waitresses were totally charming, quick, discreet and attentive. The menu is not extensive but there's still a brilliant choice of dishes and you can guarantee that nothing will disappoint. I chose not to have pudding but my husband had a lovely ice cream. However, the waitress brought me 2 delicious little chocolate truffles with a candle. I was so touched and the truffles were truly gorgeous. So, once again, another splendid evening at La Perle. Can't wait to go back there again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

97% Recommend
Ipswich
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

If you are in Milford on Sea then you must eat at La Perle.
Fantastic cuisine!
I had the veggie option which was packed full flavours. Other half had bouillebase (sp?) which he said was very good.
Starter of crevettes which were size of langoustine.
All I all very good restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

If you are in the Lymington / New Milford area, this is the pick of the crop. 5 dots in the event -- but in France, it might only merit 3, as all is relative.

The menu is simple and well presented -- something for everyone. On Tuesdays, the special was moules mariniere. Very tasty and well presented. The rib-eye steak was very good, if a little thin in the French tradition. The bearnaise was the first decent steak sauce of the week in the area (perhaps a little unfair to the Mill, but their reduction was a mere gesture). The lemon sole meuniere was done perfectly. Deserts were good, the creme brulee proper. A competent meal in the French manner.

But why would a French Bistro not offer baguette and butter to start the meal? And Pastis should come with a little jug of cold water -- you shouldn't have to use the water in your water glass? Lastly, (a snide comment to be sure), if you are a French bistro, your wait staff should at least understand the French pronunciation of the items on the menu?

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southam, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My fiancé and I recently discovered ‘La Perle’ at Milford on Sea just this weekend. After one visit we are already planning our next one! We both enjoyed the lunch special (one light dish and a glass of wine/beverage for £10), and both of our plates of food were very nice indeed, as was the wine. I enjoyed a selection of charcuterie, and my fiancé enjoyed steak hachee. Both dishes were very good indeed, but the real winner was the ambience of the place; we have struggled to find a pleasant restaurant to have lunch in, especially one that offers such interesting cuisine. I am especially looking forward to sampling more of the extensive wine list, and the delicious sounding a la carte menu.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ringwood, Hampshire
“Birthday Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We took a friend for her birthday treat as she had been told this restaurant was good. It was indeed, and obviously has several regulars, which is itself a recommendation. The owner/chef came and talked to us after our meal to see if we had any criticisms or suggestions! This is both sensible and brave! We enjoyed it all and will definitely be returning.

Visited April 2013