“AMAZING HOTEL” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Frankby
wirral
“AMAZING HOTEL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

We got married here and it was the best day of our lives, Venue is beautiful, Food was amazing, staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough for us, Craig and Lisa treated us like long lost friends whenever we saw them, cant wait to return and celebrate our anniversary. Thank you all at Hillbark for making our day so special x

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
fisherman123777, Manager at Hillbark Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Hello Mrsme

On behalf of Craig and Lisa and all the team here at the Hillbark Hotel,congratulations!!!!!!!.....We pride ourselves on making Hillbark a relaxed,family atmosphere and we would like to thankyou for letting us share that most special day with your family and friends.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Peter Fisher
Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

We spent Christmas day at the hotel which was made very special by the warm welcoming atmosphere. The setting is magical made better by the snow and we felt part of the family. Food could not be faulted all courses excellend sered professionally. The first time I have ever eaten out on Christmas day and will make sure I visit again soon. Great value

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
fisherman67, Manager at Hillbark Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
Dear busycity,

First of all let me pass on a big thankyou from all the team here at Hillbark for the review.We pride ourselves in delivering a first class experience from that warm welcome,Stewart Warners fantastic menu's and outstanding,professional service.

You are right!!!!!......Hillbark Hotel looks absolutely amazing in the snow and people were amazed at the sight of our frozen fountain.

Peter Fisher
Restaurant Manager
Boston, Lincolnshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

My wife was lucky enough to win a competion with the prize being Dinner, Bed and Breakfast at the Hillbark (and lunch at the Wro). The approach to the Hotel and the facade were pretty impressive and the informal reception maintained the impression of grandeur. The walk to our room took us through the hotel overlooking the formal and informal bars and eventually though to the bedroom wings. The feel of this area was less grand and I wondered if were going to be slightly dissapointed. However, our room, The Deva Suite was, quite simply, magnificent. Exotic (and erotic) decor, Fantastic bed, adorned with plump cushions with a full length ceiling mirror overlooking it!! Spotlessly clean, chocolates and fruit provided. The bathroom contained a double, jacuzzi bath. Probably, the best room I have ever stayed in.
Dinner was in the Grill, rather than the Yellow Room (which I would have loved). However, no complaints. Duck Confit with spicy lentils, followed by a Rib Eye Steak and finished with and excellent Creme Brulee. Service was excellent. Back to the room after and the bed was made, more chocolates provided and our own bottle of wine put on ice. Small touches, but GOOD touches. Breakfast was OK. Nothing special, but subconsciously, I think, we were saving our appetite for The Wro!
I dont know whether we got special treatment as competion winners, but this was a superb night away, in a fantastic room and a beautiful hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

The Hillbark was built in 1891 and then moved to its present location on the Wirral in the 1920s. It’s a tycoon's idea of repro-medieval and while it’s undoubtedly impressive when you first see it, you soon realise that it lacks real charm or atmosphere. It’s very . . . synthetic, all surface appeal, which fits rather snugly in this part of Britain, in Cheshire, famous less for cheese these days than for conspicuous wealth. This is Bling Central. And Contessa Hotels, which runs the place, keep a fleet of Rolls-Royces and Bentleys and do a terrific trade in weddings and other functions. So why on earth would anyone want to stay here?

Well, the only reason I showed up was to sample the cooking of Aiden Byrne who is getting some rave reviews on the influential egullet website. Byrne also runs a pub in Lymm, about 20 miles away, and he was formerly the chef at the Dorchester Grill on Park Lane. I get the impression that foodies eat at the Hillbark on weekdays and leave the weddings for the weekends. Personally, I thought the decor in the restaurant was beyond gruesome - sort of Barbara Cartland meets Wayne Rooney, if you get my drift.

The food is here is very serious, very modern in style, aiming for at least two-star Michelin level. You can have a basic two or three course a la carte but I opted for the 10 course signature menu for £80 plus £45 for a flight of wines. The food is rich and of high quality - one fish dish misfired, I thought, and the main dessert was much too rich and even sickly after all that had gone before. The service by the maitre d, two pretty young waitresses and the expert sommelier, was outstanding. Reasonably priced, too, though I’m sure prices will skyrocket if Michelin awards a star or two.

As a hotel, the Hillbark was a smooth operation, though judging by the cars in the car park, I think I may have been the only paying guest that night. I was paying £155 for one night B&B single occupancy, but they upgraded me to one of their principal rooms, No 4, which had a great view across the Dee Estuary to the Welsh coast. The room was lavishly appointed, though some details were neglected, notably the mess of wires by the desk and two rather huge and probably redundant chairs looked as if they had been parked rather than belonged. The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath and a shower that might have taken you to Mars but didn’t actually work as a shower. One jet gushed boiling hot, another freezing cold, and both at the same time.

Downstairs, there are several reception rooms with some rather naff landscape paintings as well as some striking contemporary design ideas. It is charmless, even vaguely corporate, and the enormous permanent marquee in the grounds reinforces the impression that this is first and foremost a wedding chapel.

The previous chef fell out with owner Craig Baker. I wonder how long Aiden Byrne will last with this sort of set-up.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

Amazing hotel in beatiful surroundings. Got married there and spent our first night together as husband and wife. Rooms are amazing. All individual decorated to a v. High standard. Staff were extremely helpful and has a family feel.
Food is excellent as well.

• Stayed September 2010
Wirral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

I wanted to take my husband somewhere special for his birthday and having been to a wedding at Hillbark a few years ago I thought we would give the Yellow Room a try. I am so pleased I hadn't seen any of negative reviews as I probably wouldn't have booked it which would have been a big mistake! We opted for the £75 wine tasting menu where we enjoyed a good 6 wines during our meal. The food was absolutely delicious and the presentation could not have been faltered. I saw one review where the gentleman was left with thimblefuls of wine, well that certainly wasn't the case with us! The sommelier was very attentive and well informed, had we not liked any of the wine he presented he would have happily changed it and he would have kept us topped up for the duration of each course had we needed it! We’ve dined in Panoramic, the London Carriage Works and the Michelin starred restaurant Fraiche so we have certain expectations when it comes to fine dining and the Yellow Room for us did not disappoint. I want to say a big thanks to the Hillbark team who made our evening truly special.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I got married at the Hillbark on 3rd Jan 2010 and it was amazing. The whole process was a pleasure and it truly was the best day of my life.

It all started Dec 2008 when we booked the venue. I am a singer who plays at A LOT of venues across the country and Hillbark was my first choice. The venues wedding planner Kim is brilliant, so good in fact she made it into the speeches and we had to get her a lovely bunch of flowers. We had quite a few meetings with Kim and every time we were reassured and guided through every step of the day. The month before the wedding I was at the Hillbark every week!! Kim even set out all the chairs for our ceremony so we could see if the gospel choir I had booked would fit at the back of the hall. Nothing was a problem. When my Husband had a moment of "Oh my god Im getting married in 3 weeks" after our last visit to the registrar Kim got him a stiff drink and brought the colour back to his cheeks.

1 week before the wedding the hotel rang and upgraded 5 rooms for my family and friends to beautiful suites just because they were still free. I thought this was a lovely touch because they could have left them empty instead that made a lot of people so happy. Some of our friends and family had saved up for the standard room and suddenly they were in a £400 suite!! Our best man and his wife are now pregnant and she blames me for the upgrade!!

The night before the wedding me and 6 friends stayed in 304/306 and the rooms are beautiful with amazing views of Roydon Park. Breakfast was lovely and nothing was ever too much to ask from all the staff.

The food for the wedding was beautiful. The free flowing champagne and canapes were great and everyone commented on how warm and friendly the hotel is as well as being stunning to look at. I perform in many hotels and sometimes it feels like a conveyer or the venue is so big its hard to get an atmosphere. Thats why I chose the Hillbark. We had 60 guests to dinner and it was delicious and I loved the attention to detail when our desert came out it had congratulations written in chocolate and extra chocolates were given to us with coffee. Kim had made sure the room looked exactly as I wanted, all my place names and favors, candles and kiddies gift bags were in the right place.

When Kim left after running around for me all day.. she honestly didn't stop. Peter took over and he is brilliant. The bacon butties and chips were gone within minutes and Peter kept them coming until all the guests were stuffed. I never had to worry about my guests it was all taken care of. We had a chocolate fountain that Kim supplied and everyone gathered round eating as much as they possibly could.

The whole evening with my 3 bands!! was perfect. A few of us then stayed in the bar till 4 singing around the piano. The bridal suite is stunning, its HUGE! We had a lovely jacuzzi in the morning and then met everyone for breakfast.

What more can I say but thanks to the owners Craig and Lisa who are a wonderful couple and own a magnificent hotel. and if its good enough for Beyonce, Kelly Rowland and Tiger Woods then its good enough for me!

If anyone would like more info on Hillbark for their big day email me from www.tonijames.co.uk

• Stayed January 2010

Been to Hillbark Hotel? Share your experiences!