“Not what I expected!” 2 of 5 stars

+44 (0)151 625 2400
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Afternoon Tea at Hillbark Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 5 Restaurants in Frankby
Cuisines: Tea Room
Cheshire UK
“Not what I expected!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I arrived to be greeted by stunning views, a grand interior with beautiful decor. I walked in and a lovely lady offered to take my coat and walked me through to where I was meeting others for afternoon tea. The choice was £25 for afternoon tea with an option of champagne for £33. So, as it was a special occasion I went for the champagne option, however disappointed to find that this was only half a small champagne glass, we did query this and were told that the glasses would be topped up, unfortunately we had to ask for them to be topped up!

I was quite disappointed we were not asked which tea we would like and instead were brought out tea which tasted metalic, when we eventually found a waitress, we complained and it was changed to another tea instead. The afternoon tea in iteslf was pleasant with finger sandwiches, cakes and scones with a lovely waitress who talked us through the contents of the teired plates. We were a large party and I was disappointed that this was not catered for as we were not brought all our cakes/scones at the same time, so we didn't have enough for everyone and had to wait quite a while before the rest was brought out. There was more; we ordered water and had to get up from the table to pour the water ourselves, we then had to keep on asking for our tea to be topped up, for milk to be brought to the table, for condiments to be brought to the table and that was only when we ever got a glimpse of the waitress. Don't get me wrong, but for a 5* hotel and paying £33 for afternoon tea I would expect a better standard of service and at least a choice of tea! As we were leaving and paying at £25/£33 per person I was told that there would be a 15% service charge! We didn't pay it. Thankfully the company was fantastic it is just ashame that this one off special occassion couldn't have been matched with a 5* service and a 5* menu.

Visited November 2013

Bebington, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Beautiful setting but very disappointing. Very overpriced for what you receive. A few finger sandwiches, a few small cakes (traybakes cut up into small pieces) and cups of tea for £25.00. If you wanted two VERY small glasses of champagne you paid £33.00!!!
Food isn't even that great and the tea was revolting (funny taste to water). This improved slightly after I complained but I had to go looking for someone to complain to. Service was dire. Twelve of us arrived to be told we would have to be split up to sit on different tables. Obviously we were not happy and this was rectified.
A good afternoon due to the occasion we were celebrating do not rate the food or service at all.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bebington, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea to be avoided!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

A real disappointment, our afternoon tea had been arranged by my daughter to celebrate her friend's forthcoming marriage. The food was truly mediocre, the tea was very unpleasant to drink and had to be changed and finding any sort of waitress to look after us was a skill in itself! Someone had to leave the table and go in search of the waitress every time anything was required. Very good company sadly mixed with a grossly overpriced poor quality afternoon tea.
The icing on the cake ( as it were) was the request for us to pay, after minimal service, a 15% service charge - we declined!

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bromborough, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea a must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I took my mum to the Hillbark for afternoon tea as a treat and wow!
The waiter (Older guy) was very attentive and looked after us spot on.
The sandwiches and cakes were nice and I upgraded to the Champagne option as it was a special occasion.
Faultless and highly recommended!
Will make a return visit soon.