“Comfortable Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rickmansworth
london
“Comfortable Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I had an appointment in Rickmansworth so I booked this hotel. I read the reviews and some kind of put me off booking as a bit negative but I thought it's only for 1night so I decided to book. And actually I am glad I did. Ok it's not the Ritz. However, its very clean which in my book is very important. I have stayed in 4star hotels and they have been dirty with rude staff. However non of that at The Long Island Hotel. The staff couldn't have been nicer. The reception staff were very helpful and welcoming. The restaurant staff were helpful and a very quick service. And I met the lady who cleaned the rooms and she was lovely. Very friendly.
Ok the furniture in the rooms could have been in need of updating but the new manager, Richard, explained the reasons for this. The bed was very comfortable and a nice large double bed. Nice size TV and free internet to log onto with your tablet or laptop or IPhone
The tube station is within spitting distance with a half an hour journey into London. The subway you have to walk through to get to the hotel is perfectly safe. Looks a little tacky but its fine. Altogether a very safe area.
A short walk to Rickmansworth High Street where this a selection of restaurants to eat.
I would recommend this Hotel and would definitely stay there again if the need arose. Well done to Richard the new manager who is doing a good job

Room Tip: I would say in the summer request a first floor as the window on the ground open wide and maybe not...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Richard D, General Manager at Long Island Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you find the hotel good value and you enjoyed our breakfast offering. We work hard in all areas of the hotel to provide fantastic value for money. It’s good to hear that you had a positive experience. If you ever decide to come and use us again please contact me personally on 01923 779466 and ask for Richard Danylak the General Manager and I will arrange for you to get a refreshed room. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Working away it's ideal cheap and cheerful , wouldn't stay there for pleasure but it's great for contractors to stay, good showers ,comfy bed,nice food and warm rooms. Good sized car park , not to far from M25. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed . Staff are helpfull

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at Long Island Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you find the hotel good value. We work hard in all areas of the hotel to provide fantastic value for money. It’s good to hear that you had a positive experience. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Having been a guest at this hotel on and off over the last couple of years I have seen the hotel at it's lowest. The last time I was at the hotel was back in June this year and yes I do agree that the hotel needed quite a lot of tlc. However having just stopped at the hotel for a week I have to say I really was impressed with some of the changes that the new Manager has put in place. Going are the old 80s style bed rooms and coming are newly refreshed rooms. (I was lucky enough to be given one of the recent refreshed rooms, hence why I feel that I should leave a review for this hotel). No more dull wallpaper and old box style tv's, in are light colours and a large flat screen tv. Bathrooms have had new tiles and above all else the room I stopped in was spotless.

What was a nice touch was that the manager even left me a Christmas card under my bedroom door which contained a little thank you discount booklet for being a loyal guest allowing me to take the family for a meal in other restaurants and hotels.

Whilst I was there I even bumped into the newly appointed handy man who couldn’t of been more helpful. We even had a laugh about how he hands his hands full and that Rome wasn’t built in a day.

The restaurant has also recently had a make over and again I have to say I really was impressed. The meal in the evening was lovely and great value for money and as always the breakfast was just perfect to set me up for the day.

The new manager seems to be moving this hotel forward quickly and a special mention to all the friendly team at the hotel who always go above and beyond.

The reason for such a long review is that having read some of the recent poor reviews I thought It would be nice to give a true experience of my stay and would most definitely recommend this hotel to other people.

Keep up the good work Long Island Hotel and I will be back in the new year to hopefully find even more improvements.

Room Tip: ask for refreshed room
Dear Guest
Further to your recent experience of The Long Island Hotel Rickmansworth I'm delighted that you enjoyed a pleasant stay at the hotel. It was pleasing to read that your stay was positive, including the hotel's location, the friendly and efficient welcome, bedroom size and amenities, and furthermore and most importantly the cleanliness. Thank you for acknowledging the changes that we have made in some of our bedrooms. Please rest assured that all your comments will be shared with the team. We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future to The Long Island Hotel Rickmansworth.
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Due to this hotels proximity to my office I have used it many times over the last 10 years, It was never great but has now reached the point that it should be shut and completely refurbished !
the rooms are so poor that on a recent stay I could not wait to get out , carpets asr stained and worn out with what feel like holes beneath ! ,wall paper peeling and battered (the original colour only revealed where the old TV bracket had been removed . wires hanging across walls ,no lampshades and glaring light bulbs. bed seen better days ! But the bathrooms are the most worrying , again holes under the worn lino black grout rusty curtain poles and shower heads that refuse to stay upright on brackets that are about to fall off ! even walking the corridors is unpleasant with mouldy smells and stained carpets ! I may have missed something good but I don't think so . The staff and breakfast room is ok and it is near the underground station .
sorry but its gone too far down and needs urgent action

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time out our your busy day to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. We are aware of certain issues to do with the building and it pleases me to say that a maintenance programme is now currently live within the hotel along with a rolling programme to get bedrooms up to standard to improve the guests experience of our hotel. Please rest assured that all your comments will be shared with the team.

Travelers are raving about these Rickmansworth hotels

Northwood, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

my partner and I have just had the experience of staying at long island hotel. the rooms are very basic and our one smelled very damp and musty. but far worse than that is the condition of the bathroom. the tiles are filthy and need regrouting, the shower is just a spray attached to the bath. very old and look like they have never been decorated. also a lot of marks on the ceiling in the bedroom. finally we went to the bar just to get a glass of ice and was told by a very rude lady we would have to pay to in !

Room Tip: don't stay there.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Just back from a one night stay at Long Island Hotel. First impressions were that this hotel has seen better days. However, if you are looking for a clean room, comfy bed and good food you could do worse than stay here. True the room is basic and needs decorating but we had tea and coffee making facilities including biscuits. The bathroom included hair and body wash and hand lotion. We had a flat screen TV plus free WIFI. The room was warm. When we did encounter a very small problem (i.e. no towels in the bathroom) the matter was sorted out within 5 minutes. The breakfast was lovely and we have had worse breakfasts in more expensive hotels. The staff were courteous and attentive who could ask for more? If you are looking for a boutique hotel you must be prepared to pay more than the £40 we paid for our stay. Thank you Long Island Hotel for looking after us so well. We will be back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason C, Guest Relations Manager at Long Island Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out our your busy day to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We are aware of certain issues to do with the building and it pleases me to say that a maintenance programme has since been rolled out to improve the hotel. It really pleases me to hear that you found the breakfast lovely and you found the team to be courteous and attentive The team and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel was perfect for us. However, the price did not reflect the service that was provided. Breakfast was included in our stay however, we were served by what appeared to be very unenthusiastic and moody staff. We were told that we were not allowed a jug of water when requested, no cutlery at the table when asked any questions they responded by tuts and huffs.
The shining star of the breakfast was the sausage!!! Everything else on the plate seemed to be cooked in the microwave. Mushroom was dripping in oil. Scrambled egg tasted of water, beans were stodge. When a complaint was made to the manager the only defence made was that he prepared the food but had never eaten it!!!!

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for your feedback, please accept my apologies for the short-comings you experienced during the breakfast service. I will share this with the rest of the team. It’s with feedback like yours that we are able to better improve the service we offer to our guests. It’s good to hear that the majority of your stay was positive. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Been to Long Island Hotel? Share your experiences!