“Nice food, but service....” 2 of 5 stars

+44 1923 770055
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Buon Cibo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 53 Restaurants in Rickmansworth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London
“Nice food, but service....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Booked for 3 p.m. Mothers Day. Very busy and didn't get to our table until 3.20 but as it was packed for MD I wasn't that bothered. Ordered straight away and asked for our two childrens mains to come at the same time as our starters. This happened, but not until 4 p.m! Starters were delicious, the whitebait and goats cheese salad. My son said his spaghetti carbonara was delicious, and my daughter was happy with her spaghetti with butter and ham. So far, so good (apart from the wait!) and I couldn't wait for our mains. But I did wait, and wait, and wait... At 5.10 I told the Manageress I was not prepared to wait any longer and we were going to leave. She went away and came back and said our meals were just about to come out, so we hung on. We'd been at the restaurant for over two hours and had only had our starters.
The veal with spaghetti bolognese I had was ok, but isn't bolognese supposed to be a meat sauce, mine was just tomato sauce. Can't remember what my wife had, but she did say it was nice.
So, no major issue with the food, but the service leaves a lot to be desired.
When I was discussing the issue with the Manageress she said that they had to wait until they'd served one table before they could start on another tables meals as they only had a small kitchen! Amazed they can run the place like this!
Oh, they did take the cost of some olives and ciabatta off of our bill because of the wait, but I don't think I'd bother again.
I rather fancied a coffee, but thought it might get served up with a bowl of cereal the next morning!
I am also curious about the bolognese sauce. I must remember to ask an italian friend of mine if this is normal.
If I was marking this on the food alone, it would be a four. If it was on the service alone, it would be a big fat zero. So in the interests of fairness, they get a two.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London
“Used to love this restaurant - what's happened???!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Used to go to this place all the time but only go every now and then as they haven't changed the menu in years so it get's a bit samey. I was really looking forward to it as the food and atmosphere is usually very good even midweek. Restaurant was about a third full so not busy. The food was ok but the service was very poor. Slow and couldn't be bothered, so we won't be bothered again.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Cheap but, for me, not cheerful.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is such a small, very ordinary restaurant that I was surprised to see it on TripAdvisor. My wife and I went as our friiends wanted to try it. On Saturday lunchtime there was only one other table occupied. This is basically a Pasta and Pizza restaurant with one or two specials. There was nothing on the pasta or pizza menu that I actually wanted. My wife had a rather gross tuna pizza (£5.99) which she quite enjoyed (see picture) and I suppose if you want a large, cheap pizza, this is the place to go but since you can get a better choice of both pasta and pizza in many other restaurants, why bother to go here? (But the lunchtime price of £5.99 with a reasonable choice is cheap!) I had Spaghetti Vongole which was OK, (£9.99)
Despite being nearly empty, our dishes took a very long time to come. Goodness knows what would have happened if they had been busy. My friend asked if he could have his pasta dish with Spaghetti instead of Penne, which he dislikes. The pleasant waitress said no problem but after the long wait, penne came anyway. They offered to change it but my friend did not send it back as he probably rightly thought that we would all have finished our lunch before he got his returned. He ended up leaving half. So, you might enjoy it but with so many other restaurants offering better dishes at much the same price (there are actually two nearby), personally I would not go back. There is a free car park quite close.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Worst bolognese ever...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Went to Buon Cibo for lunch today. Service was good and starters were ok. I ordered my usual which has unfortunately changed for the worse but still edible (we've been visiting this restaurant for lunch for over 5 years). However, my partner ordered Penne Bolognese which has to be the worst Bolognese we've ever had, anywhere. Watery and tasteless with large lumps of meat and little or no sauce. Overall not a bad restaurant but I'd recommend avoiding the Bolognese if you visit. In the past we have had great food at Buon Cibo so hopefully this was just a one-off.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
buoncibo37, Owner at Buon Cibo, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Firstly I would like to apologise, as a regular customer you recognise that this was not the usual Bolognese dish that we pride ourselves on here at Buon Cibo. I thank you for brining this to my attention and have addressed the matter to make sure this does not happen again. Our company policy is that if you have any problem with a dish we will endeavour to change it as soon as possible or we will take it off the bill. Thank you for your feedback and hope to see you again in the future when we can make amends for your disappointment on this occasion.
“Lovely warm atmosphere and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My partner and I love this place its ace. Food is nice but the stand out service makes it our restaurant of choice

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere