“Best thing is the decor” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: International
Description: Restuarant attached to a Pub / Hotel
Description: Restuarant attached to a Pub / Hotel
“Best thing is the decor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

What a shame that the effort that's gone into the styling has not gone into the food. This is the only place I have ever been with my girl friends and there was nothing on the menu that appealled a pretentious collection of cobbled together flavours. We opted for a selection of staters which were mean in terms of portion size and average. Having been three times with different people I have decided not to go back. Over priced under delivered.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“The next big thing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

I do not usually write reviews but o my god simply breath taking food was a bit nervous considering price 2courses for two and good house wine for 29.95 I thought cheap can not be good but simply amazing ingredients cooked expertly and presented to a Michelin level and I've eaten at auberge du lac and this restaurant will be soon giving them a run for there money to start I had moules marinere and my partner smoked salmon and devonshire crab firstly class for mains I had breast of duck and my wife chicken which were both cooked to perfection even though I wasn't asked how I like my duck cooked but this chef is talented a cooks it how should be just perfectly pink with the most amazing mixture of wild mushrooms for dessert we shared a creme brûlée that blew us away it came a light from the kitchen amazing will definitely be a regular simply breath taking just needs a bit more attention on service to go with the soon to be awarding winning food and this place could be great go soon before it's to busy

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Ok decor, shame about the chef!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

PLEASE KNOW IT IS NOT THE BELL NOW BUT RUSTIC FOOD CO. Was served raw mussles and undercooked duck! Not good considering the chef boasted he worked for prince previously! After complaining "nicely", chef came into restaurant and told us not to ever come back and then verbally abused me! Shouting, swearing and banging around in the kitchen bit embarrasing! Also, on departure, rumpus in the bar resulting in one of the waitresses being sacked on the spot! On speaking with local people they say it's gone right down the pan and is almost always empty. I have to say, I preferred it when it was the Bell and under different management!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Codicote, United Kingdom
“Nice food shame about the land lady”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

Visited pub at the weekend with friends. Food was lovely but spoilt by the shouting and swearing coming from the kitchen area, with young children this was less than ideal environment to eat lunch in. The children went outside to play. The children were playing out front with the stones, the land lady came outside for her cigarette break and was very rude to us (I suspect it was her shouting and swearing in the kitchen). Will definitely not be returning. Shame as the food was very nice and up to that point we was considering having my husbands birthday drinks with all our friends there. Even though there was six of us eating and we bought 3 rounds of drinks (spending around £90 in our visit) we were still treated like second class citizens to the three regulars at the bar buying one pint of beer every 30/40mins. Not a place to take your children, I'd recommend you drive down the road to the Wellington in Welwyn, where the food is great, there’s a lovely atmosphere and the staff are warm, welcoming and friendly to children.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere