“Looks great but.......” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Betchworth
San Francisco, California
“Looks great but.......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Arriving at Hartsfield Manor is very impressive with a great setting, beautiful building and amazing reception hall.
But, our bedroom was on the second floor and there are no lifts! The bedroom was large but the bed a small (a double... just). The decor was clean and tidy but the only drawers were in the small bedside tables. The wardrobe was just big enough.... once we had emptied the ironing board, iron, tea tray, kettle and hair dryer out.
The bathroom was clean and big enough but the towel rail did not work (it was the only form of heating), it was reported but nothing happened in 4 days! The shower screen had the plastic strip missing off the bottom so every shower meant a puddle on the bathroom floor, it was reported and nothing happened in 4 days!
First night we booked the restaurant only to find there was only a bar menu available but the food was good. There as no atmosphere as there was only 1 other couple in this large restaurant.
Perhaps we went at the wrong time but we will not be rushing back. Pity as the initial impression was so positive.

207 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We paid extra to stay in the main manor house which is definitely worth it. We did have to change the first room they gave us because it was cold and the radiator in the bathroom was not working. But the staff were very friendly and helpful and the second room was lovely and spacious. The food was excellent.

Kent, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

It isn't that there is anything really wrong with this place but they need to try harder.
The room (in the main building) was really pretty basic and it was cold. We did ask for and get a very small electric heater which made a little bit of a difference. There was an electric towel rail in the bathroom but no way of turning it on could be found and the room was cold. The lighting in the bathroom was poor, with no light over the mirror.
However the food (dinner and breakfast) was excellent as was the service.
But why oh why charge for the use of a credit card? I can't remember if it was £2.50 or 2.5% but this is just a mean spirited thing and really the cost should be built in.

Room Tip: We were in the main building and from what other people said we were glad we were.
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

The main hotel is a lovely old building set within beautiful grounds. We opted for a room upgrade so as not to be in the modern annexe. The bedroom was huge and tastefully furnished. It was exceptionally clean as was the bathroom. The only downside was that the bathroom was dark despite the halogen bulbs. If one had been placed over the mirror or there was an additional mirror light, it would have been perfect. The bar is cosy but be warned prices are quite high. The breakfast room was pleasant and airy and the breakfast itself was of a good standard. Staff are lovely and friendly. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: It's worth paying extra for a room in the main (old) building.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I was fortunate enough to get one of Devere's bargain breaks and booked for two nights. Having read some of the previous reviews I was a bit nervous as to how my room would be so was prepared for disappointment. This is the second Devere I have stayed at and I love that there isnt masses of signing from roads all around. The signing is almost invisible, but its discreet and sympathetic to the surrounding countryside and villages.
I turned up Sandy Lane, not believing that there could be a large resort hotel up this pretty lane. At the entrance, I noted the lodge house, apparently privately owned, how nice! And pretty approach to the main hotel. All looking very nice. Parking excellent..right outside the entrance and nothing to disappoint on entering either. Reception staff very welcoming and surprise - because there was a party that night in the main hotel, I was in a room in the Lodge, the little house at the gateway...interesting.
I decided Id check my room out first, just in case I might want to move for any reason. My room was lovely, spacious, with a big window overlooking where I could park my car. No fridge but I stored my pint of milk outside overnight! My only little niggle, not even a complaint is that for a lady, none of the lighting is good enough for creating facial artwork!!! Not a problem for me on this occasion...I was chillin'.
It is a lovely place to stay to explore nearby shopping towns of Dorking and Reigate, equidistant in each direction, and pretty walks through lanes and the village nearby. Go right out of the gate and you'll eventually come to an estate with a herd of deer and a pretty mill and stream.
The public rooms in the Hotel are classic and stylishly decorated with contemporary furniture against old room details with pretty views over the grounds through large picture windows.
A modern corridor leads to the business/computer centre/cafe with stylish artwork and photography throughout.
I didnt eat on the premises but the restaurant was perfectly lit for romantic dinners and the menu looked very nice.
The only blip to my stay was that I had no hot water on my final morning. It turned out the whole hotels system had gone down with the exception of one wing, where I was offered to take as long as I wanted to bath etc there. They seemed to have got to work on the issue very quickly and fortunately for them, hadnt had many guests overnight that night. Im sure it must have had something to do with power failure due to the horrendous storm the previous night. But staff handled the issue very well indeed. I look forward to trying other venues. Thank you.

Room Tip: If you are happy to be a distance from the bars etc, then a room in the Lodge house is lovely. Ther...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Limoges, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We had booked the hotel a few weeks prior to turning up, upon arrival we were told that due to a function the restaurant was closed but there would be bar meals available in the bar area. We were then told that our room was in a building completely separate from the Hotel and this was a considerable walk, bearing in mind that that we had our 3.5 year old daughter with us and it was pouring with rain, We refused, we ere then put into another building adjacent to the main building and still a walk but a lot closer.
The room was average, the bed small and any longer than one night would not have been acceptable. We went across to the main building for our evening meal at 7pm,only to be told that due to the large number of people attending the functions we would not be served until at least 9pm.........totally unacceptable and we duly complained, then then decided not to take any more orders and more residents were going to have to go out to get a meal, the whole night was a fiasco and totally avoidable if we have been told about these functions, because A) we would have not stayed there or B) we would have looked for something eat prior to check in.
The receptionist was very good and eventually the person in charge made sure we were all served, the management really need to get their act together as this was far from being acceptable with no compensation offered to any of the guests.

Room Tip: If you do have to stay at this hotel make sure you get a room in the main building ,Otherwise try so...
Wigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

If I were to give the drive up to the hotel marks out of 5, then it would receive full marks,the welcome at reception, 5 too, the general ambience well...yes probably 5. The guest lounges were super offering stunning views over the parkland. Initially we should have housed in the annex but the three families were accommodated in the main building and I can safely say we were all pleased with the rooms.
The only downside, we couldn't book a meal in the restaurant as there were thirteen in our group and they had to cater for a wedding but we walked five minutes down the drive to The Red Lion and we had excellent meals in a warm and friendly pub. Unless you have difficulty walking or the weather is inclement, there is an alternative food venue!
It's a good hotel offering great hospitality in a convivial setting. They serve an excellent breakfast to start the day but this was rightly at an extra cost.
To cap it all, at £49 per double room, it was true value for money.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main house offer wonderful views.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hartsfield Manor? Share your experiences!