“Beautiful setting” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Betchworth
Chesterfield
“Beautiful setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

One night business stay over. The main building is very traditional and in a beautiful setting. The room I was put in was situated in a separate building to one side of the hotel. I presume they use these rooms for delegates to conferences. The room was large and well appointed with big bathroom. WiFi worked well and free. Only downside was it was probably the hottest day of the year so far and when I got in there all the windows were closed and no air conditioning. It was unbearable! The staff kindly lent me a fan for the room.
I didn't eat in the restaurant but had the bar menu which I thought was very reasonably priced. A bonus was to eat outside on tables near the restaurant.
The staff were very friendly and efficient.
Free parking and plenty of spaces.
I got this hotel at a good rate on a Monday night. Looks quite expensive usually later in the week.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Abertillery, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed there for three nights on business and were fairly disappointed with the hotel. Firstly our room was one of the upper floor rooms way up in the eaves of the hotel. When we got into the room it resembled a sauna - a wall of heat literally hit you. The windows were tiny so, even when open, didn't let much air in but, to top it all, the heated towel rail had been left on all day! We couldn't turn the rail off from within the room and had to get a member of staff to do it from a central point. When we pointed out that our room was too hot the girl behind the desk seemed only vaguely concerned but did get a tiny fan sent to our room. We also noticed that one of the radiators in a stair well was on full blast (in the middle of a heat wave).
You can't use debit cards to open a tab so we were told we could pay as we went along. At the bar we were told they didn't have a debit card machine so had to go back to the reception desk to use the one there. The bar didn't open until 6pm. The breakfast was average but nothing amazing.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ilminster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We saw the "Sunday Lovin" promotion and thought we would book as near our Anniversary and it was on the way to our Daughters Graduation. What a let down. There were glasses in the corridors when we arrived and still there in the morning. The bathroom fan did not work and the television was antiquated and could not provide a radio reception.The 3 course meal that was to be in the restaurant was 3 courses to be chosen from a limited bar menu and served in the bar or outside. We sat outside and I would say that the food was passable however the tables and chairs were not in very good condition. Wine was expensive at £21 for a basic Chenin Blanc. Breakfast was good, but probably due that we were in early and I guess the amount on the buffet would of deteriorated within an hour. It maybe a good venue for a wedding or corporate day, but not for what we were expecting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main house, they MAYBE better !!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel as we were attending a wedding in the manor. First impressions as you drive up to the hotel is that it is very grand although first impressions of the reception is that it could be updated a little. Quick check in we were staying at the top of the hotel. Our room was huge. Bathroom was a good size and we were provided with shampoo etc in the bathroom. Also there is an iron, ironing board, tea and coffee making facilities and a safe in your room.
Unfortunately as it was 30 degrees on the day we were staying, despite having lots of windows in the room it was very hot. As you made your way up the final small flight of stairs you could instantly feel it becoming more stuffy. We mentioned this to reception when we checked out. They told us they have fans available but given the weather was so hot it would have been nice of them to tell us that when we arrived.
Breakfast in the morning was hot and fresh. Grounds of the hotel were lovely. Think we got a discounted rate of £115 as were attending a wedding. Although I was happy with the stay overall I don't think I would pay more that this for a room.

Room Tip: We were in room 26. Huge room but can get very hot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

For such a grand looking exterior, the interior is a dowdy dirty grey color; quite off-putting. For 135 pounds I got a room surrounded by other rooms whose doors banged at night, keeping me awake (I had to put a sign up requesting people to close their doors quietly. The bedroom had a hard-to-view TV fixed to the wall, angled away from the bed; the bathroom light over the sink shone on my head, not face -- impossible to shave; no Kleenex; no shampoo; ventilator didn't work; very awkward shower fixture; and the toilet required a hard, strong push to get some water going, always leaving a residual. Bed comfortable and window views are very nice. Wifi good, but, stupidly they put a glass top on the desk making it impossible to use a wifi mouse. The whole place has a cold, business-like, corporate feel. More about profits than traditional English good taste and comfort. The buffet breakfast food was fine but cost extra. Overall, very disappointing for the money!

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 22.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay at the Hartsfield Manor.

I had a meeting at Gatwick airport and wanted to avoid the generic airport hotels. The setting for this hotel is a world away from Gatwick but in reality only 25 mins drive away!

The building is beautiful and my room was clean and modern, albeit a bit compact. The hotel has lovely outdoor gardens to relax in as well as many reception rooms in the hotel to relax with friends or chat with colleagues.

Breakfast was excellent. Overall very nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wedding was at Hartsfield Manor in January (in the snow!) and was the perfect winter wedding. The staff, especially Ellie and Jan, were fantastic and truly helped to ensure everything was perfect. As an Events Manager in a hotel in Sussex I know how much effort does into every event an can appreciate the careful planning and attention to detail that the staff at Hartsfield provide. Even my florist said she was so well looked after when she arrived. The venue itself is just gorgeous and my guests commented on the lovely food. I highly recommend the venue and plan to visit again in the future.

Room Tip: The main house has larger bedrooms. Take the negative reviews on Trip Advisor with a large pinch of...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hartsfield Manor? Share your experiences!