“Absolutely beautiful and perfect hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Hartsfield Manor
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Sandy Lane | Betchworth, Betchworth RH3 7AA, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Betchworth
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Absolutely beautiful and perfect hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed at the Hartsfield manor Hotel for one night prior to flying out from gatwick the following morning. We wanted a romantic beautiful hotel to stay in to start off our holiday. We were thrilled when we arrived and it looked like a beautiful castle with lage beautifully kept grounds. Parking was plentiful and easy, we were greeted nicely when we arrived at reception. The lobby was stunning with original windows and immacuate decor. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We were checked in quickly, given our key and directions to our room. We went into our room and it was huge, modern, beautifully decorated in mushroom/black/bergundy tones, lovely comfy bed, perfect modern large bathroom, tea/coffee/ trouser press/ tv/ dressing table/ toiletries....everything you could want for! In the morning we had a lovely breakfast in the restaurant...cooked was available but I just had museli and toast and tea which was lovely. The staff were very polite and helpful. We could not fault this hotel and will definitely be staying here again! Thank you so much!

Room Tip: no 19 was perfect and quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

A beautiful location and stunning building really let down by the annexe. We stayed one night in the annexe following a wedding. The hall, main hotel rooms were prettily decked for Christmas, and all seemed well until we opened our bedroom door!
We should have been warned as the corridor leading to the annexe rooms was chilly and very unwelcoming!
We felt as though we were staying in out of date hospital room. The room was dated and fully equipped for disabled guests with a wet room instead of a shower. This would not have been a problem, and we welcome the enlightened hotel that caters well,for all it's guests, but the wet room was clearly tired and elderly and could have been so much more welcoming for all guests. The bedroom was tiny and the double bed, barely that. The draughty window, despite double glazing managed to chill us through most of the night. Not an experience we will repeat.
Talking to other guests, we understand the main house bedrooms offer a far better experience. If we were to find ourselves here again we would opt for that.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Woking
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have seen some of the other review for this hotel and can only say that our experience was everything we could have hope for. We got married there last October. Second time round for both of us and we wanted a venue for 40 or so immediate family and close friends that could be our own country house for the day.

Hartsfield will give sole access to the entire main hotel if you take 20 rooms, this fitted perfectly for our party with the 10 extras for the evening and we ended up with the rum of the hotel, superbly staffed on the day, our every request was met and it did feel like we owned the place. The quality of food was better than most and we supplied our own champagne for a very modest corkage charge.

The hotel accomodation is very good without being out of the top drawer but it is really the feel of the place and the attetiveness of the staff that made it a perfect setting. The whole experience from the planning meeting to the trial meal and the final event was so stress free as to be unnoticeable. The weather played its part too but just added to the rosy glow.

To be recommended

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed at the hotel last Tuesday night as part of a corporate booking for 20 or so rooms. On Wednesday after I had checked out of the hotel and was on my way to a function, I realised that I had left my iPhone charger in the room, so I called and spoke to a woman at reception and told her that I had left my charger plugged in on the right side of the bed in room 15, which happens to be at the top of the stairs right next to reception. The woman said she would check the room and call me back later that day. No call was received.

I then phoned again the next day, got the same woman and asked if she had been able get my charger from the room. She told me that she hadn’t as yet, as the room was now occupied and she had to speak to the manager. I asked her why the manager was needed and enquired whether it would be possible for her to just call the room, ask the current occupiers if the charger was there, and ask if she could come up and collect it from the room. Not difficult one would have thought. However, she said that this was not possible and that she would have to speak to the manager. I said that this was fine but asked if she or her manager could call me back. Again she took my number and said that I would receive a phone call later that day from someone. Again, no phone call was received.

On Friday I decided that I would give it one more chance. I called again and this time I got through to a different woman. At last, I thought, someone who would be able to help me and who might actually keep to their word! I explained the situation with the charger and the fact that I was supposed to receive a call back on 2 separate occasions but hadn’t. The woman apologised and said that no phone charger had been found by housekeeping. I explained that this wasn’t a case of me dropping or misplacing the charger, and that as I had explained on my initial phone call the day I checked out, the charger had been left plugged in next to the bed, where my phone had been charging during the night. I said that I didn’t understand how a very simple issue had become so complicated and time-consuming.

She apologised again and said that she would check again and call me back. I made sure that she had my number and asked for her assurance that I would receive a call back given my previous experience of being told I would receive one.

Guess what? No call.

I have now given up with this hotel and would far rather have the hassle and cost of going out and buying a replacement charger than have to deal with the wholly inept staff who work at this hotel.

It is actually a shame about the staff as the hotel is good, clean and well-presented, and the food was great too.

If you choose to stay at this hotel, be warned, don’t leave anything behind and expect any of the staff to care or do anything about it!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I booked a one night stay at Hartsfield manor through "Booking.com", as I was speaking at a local conference the following day. BIG MISTAKE.

It turned out that I wasn't actually staying at the place in the photo. My room was in "The Superior Annexe" (read, "The gate house"). This is where they have crammed in seven or eight very twee rooms, but provided only two parking spaces. Thus, you approach it by wheeling your bags through the rain, back down the long narrow drive which inconsiderately parked range-rovers have reduced to a single track with muddy borders. Oncoming cars force you and your luggage onto these... Once at the gate-house, the common parts are heated in the fashion of the tropical house at Kew gardens, as is the room, ready for your arrival. You therefore have the choice of "too hot and stuffy" or "just right but noisy", as with the window open, all you hear is cars passing the gatehouse in the rain.

There was no desk to work at, no biscuits and insufficient power sockets as the analogue TV and freeview box had used up both of the available sockets.

A simple two course meal for two cost £60 and the "expresso" was just a cold and tiny portion of filter coffee. In the morning, the smiling receptionist found a taxi firm that quoted an hour and a quarter before they could attend. I found another that quoted fifteen minutes, but took 30.. I therefore missed my train connection and arrived at my conference with 2 minutes to spare, with muddy shoes. Really really should have booked it the night before.

All in all - I can see this place as an ideal wedding or conference venue, with excellent facilities and location for both. As an overnight stopover for onward travel though - you'll need to travel light and put a bit more planning into the experience than I did, if you want to arrive on time.

Room Tip: Find out if your room is actually going to be in the hotel in the picture, before you book.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times when on business. This hotel has a great location and is a lovely old building, hence a lot of weddings!

Rooms in main house are really nice unless they are right at the top or in the 'corporate' wing where they are tiny with short beds. Generally the rooms are modern and well furnished.

I like to have poached eggs when I stay away as I can never get them right at home. Here you can tell when they are ready as the odour of vinegar precedes them. Unfortunately they do taste slightly vinegary too.

Reception is always helpful and there is plenty of space in the bar and lounge to sit and chat with friends or colleagues.

• Stayed September 2012
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We booked a 2 night stay over the last weekend (Fri & Sat night). The staff were extremely helpful & friendly and when we arrived, we asked for a room with a bath & got room 21, very large & great view ( although the bed was not good, as it dipped radically one side) but it was a large bed, so we carried on.

We booked a table at the restaurant. Although it was empty when we sat down at 7.30pm, the staff were really helpful (again). I realise why the restaurant menu isn't on the website as it's so small in choice which at first was dis-heartening - however when the food came it was superbly cooked and tasted great, To make it even better the chef helped further in catering for my wife's food allergy and we got a dairy free desert sorted.

We slept OK, sore back but on the whole OK and went down for breakfast, small but perfectly acceptable hot buffet

So far this should be a 5 star report.

Saturday is where it started to go wrong.

We noted that a wedding party were arriving, and themed wedding decorations were being hung. It was no surprise that there would be a wedding, the venue is obviously aimed at weddings at the weekend and Corporate training during the week.

We went out for the day and returned about 6pm, and considered getting a drink from the bar. However it was evident that the bar was out of bounds as it now had a roulette & blackjack table being played on by wedding guests.

We got back to our room, to find a note from the manager that the facilities ( bar & restaurant) were being exclusively used by the wedding party, but if we wanted room service we could eat in our room ( orders to finish at 9.45pm).

It was also fairly apparent that the wedding party must have assumed they had exclusive use of the whole hotel as we got some interesting looks, bearing in mind they were dressed up for a wedding & we were not. ( I too would have been fairly miffed if in the middle of my wedding party strangers appeared)

My mixed feelings are, the venue is quite remote i.e It's a drive to anywhere for food & drinks.
We'd been out all day & my wife is 4 months pregnant, so we were looking forward to a quite meal and an early night. If we'd have been told previously that the facilities would have been unavailable to us on Saturday, we;d have stayed somewhere else,

As it turned out we had to go into Reigate, find a suitable place to eat, wait for a table and get back to the hotel around 10pm - too late to order a drink from room service.

Sunday am, we went down fro breakfast and naturally the area was set up fro the wedding party breakfast, large tables where the wedding party could sit together and a couple of 2 seaters. We waited for a while for a table to free up, and when one did, fresh plates & cutlery were simply laid over the stains & crumbs from the previous occupants. ( nice). It was also clear that the majority of the food had been eaten as we pretty much had to wait for everything to be cooked.

We packed our bags to leave, and I assumed I would give my mixed feedback to the hotel manager / staff at check out to at least voice my frustration. However no one asked how our stay was or seemed vaguely interested in talking to us, too much tidying up to do I suspect.

I sent an e-mail to De Vere hotels to register my frustration and pretty much replicated the above e-mail. I sent it 3 days ago and have heard nothing, not even an acknowledgement

So here's my suggestion - if you're staying at the weekend check as to whether there is a wedding on, and if so will the facilities be available. It's pretty shoddy to allow us to stay in the middle of someone else wedding, and effectively consign us to our room.

Would I go again. No. Not because the service or venue or food were bad, but the fact that we were treated as an after thought, which was unfair to us and to the wedding party.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hartsfield Manor? Share your experiences!