“70's thro-back - pitch a tent it will be more modern.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Healey Hotel

You added Healey Hotel to your Saves list
Healey Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Towngate Road, Batley WF17 7HR, England (Formerly Alder House Hotel Batley)   |
Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batley
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“70's thro-back - pitch a tent it will be more modern.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Stayed at this hotel as we were visiting family for a celebration, I wish we had pitched a tent !

The hotel looks like Fawlty Towers and the Asian lads did not have a clue. (Although they seem to be the only ones there) The grounds are beautiful and it seem the money is spent out there. The breakfast was greasy and looked like a truckers cafe style - thrown on ! Don't worry about the noise coming from the Kitchen we heard everything the chef had to say... sorry shout about !

We spoke to the new manager Dave Glendon who seemed to know what he was doing and treated us very well. He explained that the hotel was undergoing many changes and that many changes were to the rooms, service and products. . . Good luck to him !

Whilst at the reception I witnessed a young man checking in with 3 small children, although I was not "earwigging" I overheard that they were from the emergency housing and that the hotel has many such people staying, I understand they need somewhere but I felt uncomfortable.

I have never before been to a hotel where I am asked to pay BEFORE I get the keys and also some Indian chap asked if we could pay by cash. . . very unusual.

Unfortunately I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone until the new manager gets the changes done including the terrible TV's - Antiques Road-show eat your heart out !

From booking to checkout I had trouble understanding the receptionist boys. Beautiful location extremely poor hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else !
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Cranbrook, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

I had read the reviews on here - I even phoned the hotel up to ask them why some reviews were so bad - they persuaded me things had chnaged and so I booked with the provison that if it was bad - I would leave.
The rooms are fine and serviceable and clean.
The hotel very clean and clearly they are redecorating.
Breakfast good - big and quick - tea great.
Staff could not have been more attentive and helpful.
Very quiet location

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

Dirty hotel with staff who struggle to speak English, say the hotel manager arguing with a contractor telling him he wouldn't pay his bill.would recommend you keep well clear.

• Stayed March 2011
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

Avoid room 16. This room is beneath the laundry and the washing machines run till 11pm. Not suitable if you need to rest.
apart from the hotel own restaurant, There is no other decent restaurant around.
The evening staff is not very helpful.
the state of the rooms is poor.
on the first floor, the floor is very loose. You can hear a squeaking sound each time someone walk along the corridor.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Mirfield, West Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

Not living far from the hotel I wasn't even aware of it until I was to attend a do there but thought it would be easier to stay over rather than mess around with taxi's.
On checking into the hotel, the staff seemed polite and friendly and we were given an upgrade to the Nightingale Suite which was very comfy with it's four poster bed. The bathroom was quite big too with a bath big enough to fit 2! The room was a little warm but that was sorted once we had turned both radiators off.
Had breakfast there the following morning which you had a choice of, anything cooked was freshly made and didn't take long.
The hotel has plenty space at the front and around the back for car parking too.
I would definately recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

I stayed at Alder house hotel in mid november. I arrived half an hour early which seemed to be no problem and was greeted on arrival very politely. I was then shown to my room and given a hand with my luggage. I really liked the room which was very clean and cosy. I decided to have dinner at the hotel and the food was lovely. I really enjoyed my stay as the room was lovely and the price was good compared to other hotels in the area. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I was offered the best of service and couldnt ask for more. I would definately go stay there again and certainly reccomend it to everyone

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Aylesbury
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

Booked over internet because it looked a quality place to stay. It isn't! My wife and I were appalled by the state of the room that we were expected to stay in. Linen had not been changed and the bed was full of hairs! The bath was also full of hairs and there was mould - disgusting! When we drew the managers attention to it we were given another room but this was no better! Carpet was filthy dirty, food debris on floor, surfaces felt tacky and worse of all there was what appeared to be the remains of projectile vomitting on the wall! Was too late to look elsewhere so reluctantly stayed the night! Didn't unpack because place felt so dirty! We decided that given the condition of the room we wouldnt chance breakfast so booked out early next morning and went and found a McDonalds instead!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Healey Hotel? Share your experiences!