“A great find!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Yarcombe B&B and Inns
Worthing, United Kingdom
“A great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We found this 'restaurant with rooms' and the village of Yarcombe using a Google search. We were not disappointed.

From the moment we made the booking, the service was excellent.

The food is fantastic - beautifully presented and served with a smile. It is great to come ac ross an establishment that uses local produce at every opportunity. Having to pre-order dinner 24 hours in advance is really not a problem. The wine is sensibly priced.

Our room (Coleridge) was comfortable and offered a great view across the village to the hills beyond.

Neil and Sarah-Jane made us feel really welcome from the moment we walked in.

The only other establishment in the village appeared to be the pub - and that had restricted opening hours. We found a working pay phone on a street corner!

Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Hooke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed in the Belfry for two nights while I was searching for a house to rent in the area. The landlords could not have been more friendly and helpful and the room and the meal were both excellent. The breakfast (including the most delicious poached eggs I've tasted outside of the Beverly Hills Hotel in Los Angeles) was worth making a detour for on its own. The bed and pillows were so comfortable I overslept on the second morning - something I normally never do. A return trip is guaranteed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Cornwall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We visited in 2008 and gave a 4* rating.
This weekend we returned , with family in tow, for a birthday weekend.
Sarah Jane and Neil continue to work wonders in his wonderful little hotel.
Their warmth of welcome is well written about...every word is true
The food is well written about.........very deserved, it's fantastic.
The intimate, tranquil nature of e location is a delight.
But the work completed since our last visit is worthy of mention
Superbly comfortable new beds and a new hot water system finish the touches we wrote about previously
The little island of delight is a stunningly pleasant change from the sterile corporate hotels scattered across the country.
We can't recommend The Belfry enough........ Well done Sarah Jane and Neil.....and Thanks for hosting my birthday / retirement party.
100% positively memorable.......

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I am only going to say to read all the good bits in the extensive reviews already been written. We stayed here on the 27th of March 2013 in the Coleridge room. It was a surprise destination for my partner. She loved it. The location, our room, the food and our host was very welcoming. Him being there at all the correct times. It all being hush hush for my girlfriend, I chose the menu a few day earlier. Of course I got this wrong. All three courses, when I said what was about to arrive she was not at all keen. Especially the cherry dessert! She loved them all. Everything was cooked to perfection. And tasted beautiful. Service by our host was spot on. We went out of our way to stay here, and would go out of our way again. Even just for a dinner.

Gloucestershire, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was put under an immediate miscue when my company booked me in here for two nights, courtesy of Expotel who described it as The Belfry Country Hotel. It's much smaller than I was expecting, although the web site does use the term bijou. It was out of season in East Devon. There was no evening menu, and the pub next door, the Yarcombe Inn, didn't even open on Mondays, much less serve food! Yes, the brochures do say there is a restaurant sitting at the Belfry at 19:30, but apparently not at this time of year. It was therefore left to me to find a pub and sort my own grub. More driving, after a taxing day.

However, the owner Neil was very friendly and walked me through the available facilities, which included a fridge filled with fruit juice and milk in the hallway, and a few snacks and bottles of wine in the room - albeit chargeable extras. The tea tray was attractive and had good sized mugs and 'fresh-ground' coffee bags which are so much better than the normal naff instant coffee sachets you normally encounter (however they were also there if they're your preference).

The room wasn't large, but was large enough. The bed was a kingsize and comfortable with a memory mattress. The secondary glazed window looked out over the countryside, which was very beautiful, and the closed pub, which for obvious reasons was less so. The room was spotlessly clean and smelled fresh even before the provided pillow spray coated the bed in lavender. It was comfortably warm with the radiator pushing out heat and there was even a hot water bottle in the drawer with the hair dryer.

The bathroom was spacious, with a sloping room that weirdly held the shower head over the bath - actually in exactly the right position. The bathroom kits were large pump bottles of good quality shampoo etc, which to my mind is far better than the small plastic bottles you often get in hotel rooms that I strongly suspect never get recycled!

Outside the room itself there was a guest lounge with a large screen tv (a smaller Freeview enabled screen was in the room), along with many books and CDs for the player back in the room. Each room at the Belfry is named after a poet and relevant books are scattered around the place. For info, I stayed in Keats.

Breakfast was very good. Free range eggs from the local farm, bacon likewise and the option of Cornwall smoked salmon. Fair trade tea and coffee, fresh fruit juice and proper bread toast set the day up for me. This is a private venture, run well by a family who know the little things matter. Aside from the out of season issues, this is a quality stopover.

Initially, I would have said I would prefer to have been booked into the country hotel I was expecting. However, that does imply I was going to simply sit about in the bar, and having to go out did make me interact with the landscape, and on the second night I sat outside under the stars on the picnic seating beside the hotel, noshing into very good fish and chips (from Chard, only five minutes by car). I did note the pub had decided to open, and I got a good pint in a bar that was comfortable despite ongoing refurbishments.

Despite the out of season issues, if I'm in the area again I'll be happy to stay at the Belfry once more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
hotelownerresponse, Owner at The Belfry at Yarcombe, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of The Belfry and apologies Expotel did not pass on details about the restaurant. We always need 24 hours notice of menu choices, the monthly menu being found on our website under "food and drink".
This means we cook for you as an individual, fresh to order on the day and not "en mass" for a number.
The restaurant is open every night except Sundays and Tuesdays when we avail ourselves of a night off!
Additionally, just one Monday a month the restaurant is also closed and the date of this is always detailed at the top of the menu on the website....this was why we couldn't cook for you on Monday evening...there are though as you found, some excellent places to eat locally too.
Flayosc, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is a small bed and breakfast / restaurant with rooms (I wasn't quite sure what was the main emphasis) run by a friendly couple. Our room was clean and well appointed with a more basic en-suite bathroom. The bed was lovely, very long and very comfortable, so the sleep was great!
The food was well cooked, the female half of the couple running The Belfry is clearly a good cook and much emphasis placed on locally sourced produce.
Not a large establishment but a good place for a quiet stay in lovely countryside.

Wellington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was our second visit to the Old Belfry and we stayed in Wordsworth (previously stayed in Keats). We were greeted with a pot of tea and coffee cake in the lounge. Our room was nice with L'Occitane products in the bathroom, tea and coffee making facilites, and a large wall mounted tv. There were products such as wine and gourmet popcorn which you could purchase. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. There was a little noise from the kitchen in the early evening but this did not disrupt from a brillant night's sleep. It was a cold day and the room was cold when we arrived, but we were told to make use of the electric fan heater until the heating was fully on, which was fine.

I love the fact that the food is generally locally sourced, and at breakfast, the provenance of most items were described. Dinner was delicious with generous portions and the service was excellent and very friendly. The menu is changed monthly. The restaurant only seats 12 people so is cosy, and dinner is always served at 7:30. Because you choose at least 24 hours in advance, there is no waiting between courses.

The village of Yarcombe is pretty and sleepy and there are no shops. The nearest town is Honiton which is worth a visit.

The best bit of our stay was absolutely the food and the good night's sleep. The room was nice with a lovely big window.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Belfry at Yarcombe? Share your experiences!