“Great place for a relaxing break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Whitworth Hall Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Whitworth Hall Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Whitworth Hall Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Whitworth Hall Country Park | Stanners Lane, Spennymoor DL16 7QX, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Spennymoor
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Great place for a relaxing break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night. Appreciated the very friendly welcome and efficient book in. Our room was lovely, very clean. Our visit to feed the deer in the park on site was really enjoyable and made our stay a bit more different. We dined in the restaurant and the food was very nice. Do need to agree with previous reviews about the repetitive music though. Breakfast experience was slightly disappointing due to the length of time it took to be served our breakfast but we did appreciate that there was a wedding party being catered for too. Our overall stay was exactly what we hoped for though-relaxing and comfortable with nice food and surroundings thrown in! Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were visiting the area and needed a hotel for one night and after reading some positive reviews on trip advisor decided to try this hotel. Our expectations were high after the reviews but even they didn't highlight just how nice this hotel was. We arrived quite late so already dark when we arrived but there was ample parking with a short walk to the hotel front. The reception was small but welcoming with a very friendly receptionist and set the tone for the rest of the stay. We had experienced motorway delays getting here but on our first impression had been worth the drive. Heading to our room through the lobby we were greeted by a painted ceiling, grand wooden staircase and throughout all the public areas and corridors were an array of objects which were both amusing and interesting. Our bedroom was a standard double but nothing about it felt standard. This was a nice size and décor, comfortable bed. We went to dinner and decided to try the library restaurant. We were able to be seated straight away and were greeted by the head waiter, very polite and welcoming that had only been there for a few weeks but seemed like he had been there years how professional he was. The food we had were both good portion sizes and everything cooked to a high standard. lovely presentation and the bottle of merlot we had, although I am certainly no expert was one of the nicest I have tried and reasonable value. The hotel was a nice temperature and we had a really good nights sleep. The following morning we woke and noticed that we had a room with a lovely view that looked over the deer park. There was a good choice at breakfast. The waitress was really friendly and had a sense of humour when she asked what eggs we wanted and my partner asked for ostrich. Nothing seemed to much trouble for any of the staff here. After breakfast we decided to have a walk in the deer park, entrance is free for guests and food just a pound a bag, although I never knew how much they ate so take a few bags in with you. The drive away from the hotel we noticed lovely surroundings nearby with a pond. Unfortunately ours was a quick stop so we never got to experience it fully but based on how nice this was we are planning to visit again soon. Thanks to the staff for making this a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: view over the deer park lovely to wake up to.
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have made a reservation for the hotel for 25 th October and have not yet stayed there but have received a very pleasant reception on my various queries with a very helpful receptionist Miranda who has been very patient with me. looking forward even more so now to staying there for my partners birthday. from Linda Marlow

Buntingford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Having stayed away for 9 days whilst my husband was walking on Hadrians Wall this night was for me - a lovely hotel in excellent location. Excellent spacious room and bathroom all very clean and comfortable. Ate in but had been a wedding during the day so meal served in an extremely cold garden room and as food had to travel could have been hotter but this was rectified by the helpful waitress, breakfast also brought cold beans but again quickly rectified so all well in the end. Unfortunately weather wet so unable to look round the deer park, perhaps next time.

Room Tip: Very quite location so assume all rooms reasonably quitee
North West
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and didn't want to leave! Beautiful hotel in a fantastic location in the middle of a deer park.Our room was spacious and comfortable with a gorgeous bathroom. We had our evening meal in the hotel on both nights and the food was excellent, as was the breakfasts.
The staff were wonderful, very polite and courteous and nothing was too much trouble for them.
Especially Lal who was very charming and is a credit to the hotel. We will definitely return and have already recommended the hotel to our friends who having seen our photos, can't wait to go.
Our only regret is that we were not made aware of the Best Western loyalty club!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mirandawhitworth, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Whitworth Hall Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of Whitworth Hall. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I will pass your comments onto Lal and the rest of the staff.
I appreciate that you enjoyed your stay with us so much that you have recommended us to friends and I look forward to welcoming you back to Whitworth Hall in the near future. Incidently can you let me know if you have signed up for the BW rewards because if you havent I can organise this for you and add your points from your stay
Kindest regards
North Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

One night stay. Lovely location, good food, friendly staff and a real treat to walk with and feed the deer. Interesting place with history... Bobby Shaftoe lived here once! My only complaint was to my husband.... I wanted to stay longer!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review, I appreciate that you took the time to write it. I can cope with your complaint - we would love to welcome you back to Whitworth Hall in the future
Many thanks
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We may have only been staying for one night but it had been a much looked forward to break Lovely location beautiful house and deers - but the food was extremely disappointing - why oh why do chefs insist on not cooking vegetables - cauli, carrots were just about raw, being gluten free my husband did inform the hotel when booking and I did get a gluten fee bun with my soup, , dessert (which I'm a bit of an expert at now) was shop bought meringue with fruit salad, my husband had request not fruit salad as it's a bit of a cop out for chefs - it they have enough warning they should be able to come up with something delicious. Breakfast was equally disappointing as I'm a girl who likes a bit of toast - NO gluten free bread - some what of a shock considering I'd had a bun with my soup the night before. Although I must admitted the fresh fruit was lovely, No gluten free cereal either - so scrambled eggs and not a lot, a slice of bacon, half a tomatoe and half a dozen mushrooms that was it....my husband fared no better, one sausage, which didn't really taste of anything, beans a small portion, bacon two slices a small fried egg mushrooms again about six, he loves black pudding, but in is words, hard as hell and tasted like coal...it certainly didn't set us up for the day - staff were friendly and helpful as I said location is great - just get your act together food wise and it could be perfect

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I appreciate that you have brought this to my attention. It was myself who spoke to you on check out and we have already put in place a more suitable alternative for our gluten free guests. We have also spoken to our Chef and new procedures have been put in place regarding breakfast and also the quality of our ingreedients.
I do hope that you return to Whitworth Hall if you are ever in the area again.
Kindest regards
Miranda

Been to BEST WESTERN Whitworth Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!