“Clean and comfortable!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Elsenham
Harleston, Norfolk
“Clean and comfortable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We spent one night at this hotel with 15 Days parking and were very pleased with the choice.The room was clean, quite spacious, which is important as we had 2 suitcases,the bed was comfortable.It is very good that the hotel runs their shuttle bus to the airport terminal 24 hours and as we had a very early start it was very convenient.When we came back and contacted the hotel the shuttle bus was there to pick us up in a matter of several minutes.We will use it again !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

333 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Just stayed here on the Wed 30th May 2013, and has by far been the worst hotel experience i've ever had. Woke up, after an early night, to find a large gathering of Ants, yes Ants, having a drink from my cup of tea that a member of my party kindly made me the previous night. There were also Ants on the bed too. Needless to say i was disgusted and opted not to have breakfast – given that id probably swallowed half a dozen Ants over the course of my sleep . There was no one available at the desk when i checked out, so i've decided i will be sending a strongly worded email to the manager of the hotel. This is something you don't Ant-icpate when visiting a hotel in 2013.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Elsenham hotels

Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel in September 2012 for one night with 15 days free parking in May 2013. Just to be sure a week prior to our trip I rang and asked them to confirm the booking. They said they had no record of me booking at all. I sent them the original e mail and got a response confirming booking.

When we arrived the man at reception was very friendly and helpful he checked us in and explained the facilities which include an Indian Restaurant, more about that later.

The room was large but quite basic with a mishmash of furnishings and colours. The bathroom is good size with shower but very cheap and limited amenities.

The bed was quite comfortable and considering we were next to an airport the sound proofing was reasonable.

We decided to go out to a nearby pub for a drink and return and dine in the Indian Restaurant. When we returned I ordered a couple of drinks and waited to be brought the menus. The young lady behind the bar ignored us for about 10 minutes so I went over and asked for menus which she handed me. We opened them to find a piece of paper with Pizza, fried chicken and pasta on it. I called over and asked for the Indian menu. She told me there was no Indian food tonight only the food she had shown me. I queried how an Indian restaurant which features on the hotel website and literature does not serve Indian food. She said the Indian chef had not turned up so only pizza etc from a microwave.

We declined this and returned to the pub down the road for a reasonable pub meal. There is very little around the hotel so it is fortunate that there was a pub a 5 minute drive away. If you did not have a car...hard luck!

We slept quite well and came down for the breakfast. The offering was really limited and very poor. A couple of scruffy oranges on a plate, some hard boiled eggs which, for some reason, had mayonnaise on them a few slices of bread and a toaster for do it yourself. The up side was a coffee machine which you could make a reasonable fresh coffee from.

We went to reception to arrange for the car parking and the same helpful man gave us instructions. Unfortunately a guest who has posted a review on here was engaged in a very heated argument with him over lack of transport from terminal which did not fill us with confidence.

The shuttle bus costs an additional £4.50 per person each way£18 round trip which is a little high.

On our return we phoned the hotel and were told the shuttle would be about 45 minutes which was accurate. We had left the car in a space at the back of the hotel and was surprised to be given a different lot number for location. I walked completely around the car park and the car was not in the location advised by reception or where we had left it. The receptionist came out with me and we eventually located it no where near the advised location. However he is apologetic and froendly.

Overall this hotel is adequate for one night stay prior to travel from Stansted and offers reasonable deals for accommodation and parking. I would not recommend a two week holiday here but I guess nobody would stay in this location for more than one or two nights.

Stayed May 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Check in was quick. Room was very large... tea and coffee making facilities in the room.
Was noisy as could hear others checking in at 2am.
Left our car for the 7 days of our holiday and paid £18 extra for the transfer to the airport. Which was ok. Took 30 mins to get picked up on our return though.
We didnt eat at the restaurant as looked cold but would highly recommend the 3 Horseshoes pub less than a mile up the road. Great food and the landlord was so friendly.

• Stayed May 2013
Surrey, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Our room was quite spacious and comfortable, but not luxurious.It probably represented good value for the price, but service was quite poor. Once you leave the reception area, the decor is quite uninspirational. The evening restaurant has a comprehensive Asian menu - OK if you like curry etc. but there is no real alternative. The food was in fact very good, but the service was very slow, with little enthusiasm displayed by the waiter. The whole hotel had an early-morning wake-up call at 02.30 when the alarm went off for just long enough to wonder what it was. In the morning, many of our group did not have the benefit of hot water, as it had apparently "run out". We were part of a group of 20+ that had been pre-booked, and there were of course other guests. Breakfast service was even more sparse. Some of us gave up on the pre-paid option for a full English, before we finally saw a waiter. They just did not seem to have enough staff (or hot water) to cope with a modest number of guests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Santander and London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Used the De Sallis park and ride service on three occasions recently (the perils of pre booking). On the first time we found the large burly driver both surly and uncommunicative. On the second occasion I had to, after fifteen minutes waiting for transport to the airport, remind reception staff that I was still waiting. Words were then exchanged between the reception staff and the driver as to why I had not been taken to the airport. That resulted in a flurry of words between the pair of them. Result was transport to the airport with one grumpy driver. The final occasion was simply the worst. On the return to UK I duly telephoned for collection. I was told there would be a fifteen minute delay. After twenty minutes I called to find out what was happening. I was told the driver had been to Stansted not once but twice and could not find us. I queried why I had not been phoned to say that the driver could not find me. I was informed it was my responsibility to find the driver. Since I had a friend with me I said that we could not both miss the De Sallis vehicle as the vehicles are clearly marked. The person at the De Sallis continued to insist that a vehicle had been sent up twice. That response was simply way off the mark, as to carry out two return trips within twenty minutes does not ring through and as well as that why would a driver be sent a second time if the first attempt was unsuccessful. Also it would have cost De Sallis £4.00 in parking entry fees. Notwithstanding that there was the matter of the original fifteen minute pick up delay.

Forty minutes after the first call I had to telephone again as still no transport. Eventually the minibus turned up. The driver said he'd just come on duty and had not been to the terminal since his start of shift. What was then surprising was that there were now two other groups of people wanting to return to the hotel. So it would appear to keep costs down the De Sallis' aim is to combine as many small groups as possible. It helps to minimise the £2.00 exit fees. However, our driver seemed to have forgotten the charge entirely as he had to stop near the exit to obtain change.

Back at the hotel I raised the issue of the poor level of service. Since the De Sallis drivers get a receipt each time they exit the car park I asked to see the receipts for the supposed 'lost journeys'. I was told that would not be possible. I asked what type of vehicle they had sent up. Images of some micro size vehicle came to mind. Once again that was not to be disclosed. So any spirit of openness or transparency was non existent.

In conclusion I would never consider using the hotel's facilities again be it parking or anything else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Castanares de Rioja, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

A few weeks ago I parked my car in this hotel for a weekend but unfortunately I missed my flight and they didn't refund me the money having parked my car for less than an hour. Nothing. I asked them "I haven't got the service, at least you could only charge me the 50%" and the responsible said "Is not our responsibility if you have missed the flight, obviously we not refund you".

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to DeSalis Hotel? Share your experiences!