“Perfect Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Perfect Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

Having read some of the reviews of this hotel on Tripadvisor, we were a bit apprehensive. Our son had given us a voucher for the hotel so we really had no choice but to go to this particular hotel. However, we found the hotel to be excellent, the staff very friendly and helpful (the sort of real Irish welcome you expect and hope for), the food in both restaurants to be among the best we've had in any hotel in Ireland (and normal hotel prices), and our room was perfect. Some previous reviewers have commented on shabby rooms, we had a deluxe (or club room) at about 30 euro extra per night, and it was very spacious and well finished, the bathroom was nothing to write home about, but nothing wrong/broken/dirty (and who spends much time in a bathroom anyway?). The leisure centre, of which we made plenty of use, was very well equiped with a good gym, pool, hot tub. My wife and I have added it to our short list (of three) hotels in Ireland where we would love to go back to (combination of hotel facilities, location, service, and food). I would recommend it particularly for an off season getaway weekend (and a reasonable drive from most other parts of Ireland). As a by the way, they accomodated my wife's coeliac requirements very well, even telling her that all items on the menu (bar two) were suitable for her (that is quite exceptional), and they also had gluten free bread available at all meals. I think we will become regular visitors.

• Liked — Food and Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

Went here with my partner for a couple of nights in February. This is the second time we stayed here. We got a very good deal which included an evening meal at the restuarant. I have to say for the price we paid there was nothing I could complain about. The staff were excellent - very friendly and helpful. The food in both the restaurant and bar was also excellent and the room was clean and comfortable. The location of the hotel is beautiful - overlooking the bay. I'd recommend a soak in the hottub while watching the sun go down. My partners only gripe was the price of the wine in the bar, expensive even for Dublin! The leisure centre was well equipped with a decent pool (thankfully, not many kids around for the time of year). Didn't try any of the beauty treatments - just didn't get a chance as there's so much to see in the West.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2008

I was very surprised to read the recent reviews on this hotel as we had a very disappointing stay here. My boyfriend and I headed to Galway for a quiet weekend away in a nice hotel. We selected the hotel based on its 4 star rating and the gorgeous photos on the website.

The room we stayed in was nothing like the photos on their website. It was small, damp and mediocre. The window was permanently full of condensation due to a long radiator directly underneath it. The rad was covered with a cheap plywood covering and looked awful. The shower leaked in the bathroom and the wood on the side of the bath was worn away from the ongoing leak. The toilet roll holder was not securely fastened to the wall. The top of the tap came off when I turned it on. I could go on and on.

We had breakfast delivered to our room in the morning and both ordered the works - full irish with toast, OJ and tea/coffee. What arrived in the morning was 1 pathetic shrivelled up sausage, 1 hard piece of bacon, a rubbery fried egg and half a tomato. We couldn't believe it.

The only positive comment I can make is that the view from the hotel is amazing.

I do not know how this hotel maintains a 4 star rating. Would I ever stay here again? Only if I wanted a cheap weekend away with little or no expectations.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The accomodation
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sheffield, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

So glad our visit was a spur of the moment visit as I usually rely on Trip advisor when booking hotels, and I could easily have been put off by some of the negative comments written about this lovely hotel. The location is FABULOUS, all areas SPOTLESSLY clean, food EXCELLENT. The nicest experience however was the OUTSTANDING customer service from EVERY member of staff we came into contact with. The hotel has an exceptionally friendly and relaxed atmosphere and the people who work there made us feel very welcome. I would recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Liked — The outstanding customer service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

A short, 4 day, honeymoon was made even better by the friendliness, service and ambience of this hotel.

The setting, with grounds running down to the beach, takes some beating, and the views across the bay are on occasions breathtaking.

We found ourselves upgraded to an Executive suite (bigger, 2 sofas and massive bed) and every member of staff was friendly and helpful.

The restaurant is of the standard expected of what claims to be a 4 star establishment (and is by general standards although on a International scale I would put it a very good 3 stars) with well conceived and executed dishes that will leave you full (especially if you eat all the vegatbles that came in addition to those on the main dish!).

All in all, thoroughly recommended and a snip at the price we got from Expedia.

• Liked — Location - right on the coastline
  • Disliked — Public internegt not working for 3 days
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

Having stayed in Furbo some years ago and not at that time being able to afford to stay at the Connemara Coast, we returned there this year - what a dissapointment.
Firstly the rates of €90+ per person were too much for what was on offer in the hotel. Both the outside and inside decor of the hotel was tired and needed attention. The room we stayed in stank of bleach the first time we went in, the bed felt damp as though it hadn't been used for some time and the bathroom was terrible - the mirror was rusty, the handbasin was cracked, there was mould on the bath and tiles.
The staff were friendly and the breakfast was OK. We filled in a "Comments Card" and outlined our dissapointment at our stay and the so called facilities..........but surprise surprise we never got as much as a phone call apologising!!!!!!!!! Would we stay there again? There is a campsite about a half mile up the road from it and that would be preferable.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

For the money, this place was terrible. If it had been half the price, I would have rated it three or four stars, but for USD$250/night double, I thought it was pretty poor.

The room size was relatively small, and the bathroom I would consider *very* small -- just a tub/shower, small sink, and toilet; very cramped.

The rooms were also quite old and crusty: The bathroom door wouldn't close completely, and the paint was obviously several dozen coats old. I've seen nicer Holiday Inns.

Like another reviewer said, the website makes the place look like a beach paradise, but the reality is something else. Just not up to snuff for the price.

In its favor, the location on the (rocky) beach is quite beautiful, and they do have a nice lobby/residents area and there was a terrific guitar player in the (small) bar at night. Again, if it were USD$125/night my review would be much better, but I considered it a very poor value.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Connemara Coast Hotel? Share your experiences!