“Excellent Staff!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Glenlo Abbey Hotel

You added Glenlo Abbey Hotel to your Saves list
Glenlo Abbey Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bushypark | on the N59 to Clifden, Bushypark, Galway, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bushypark
Salem, Connecticut
“Excellent Staff!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed at several 5 star hotels while in Ireland. This hotel was charming,clean and well appointed. However, the most outstanding component was the staff. Sandra, the front desk manager was a dream come true. She was friendly and quite knowledgeable. She gave us wonderful suggestions for touring which lead us to attractions we were unaware of and the best routes to travel. She was also helpful and supportive when we had a problem with our rental car. We were made to feel welcome and comfortable. I would stay there again and highly recommend it to other travelers. The breakfast buffet was outstanding. This hotel gets 10 stars. I hope you'll have the good fortune to meet Sandra. Rest assured you'll be in very capable hands.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
GlenloAbbey, Guest Relations Manager at Glenlo Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Charlene1754,

My goodness, 10 stars! What a wonderful rating! Thank you for your kind words and comments which I will very happily pass on to Sandra and everybody here who I know will find them very encouraging indeed.

Warmest regards

Glenlo Abbey Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Greek first
Benton, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The grounds and view here are Beautiful, A very friendly staff espically Maura she remembers everyones names and was very helpful in planning our day out. She was just delightful!! Our room was a little dated but that's part of the character here. My only complaint is there was no air conditioner but luckily it was cool so could open up windows. I believe this is the quietest place I have ever stayed in you could hear a pin drop. Great location to drive the Connemeras and see some castles. Short taxi drive to Galway City. We got in late and I was hungry so they made me a sandwich and brought to my room I thought that was very nice! All & all this place was a very nice stay and I would recommend it to anyone. Also, a good location to go see the Cliffs of Moher we took a bus tour just to take a break from driving it was great!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisAustinDublin, Manager at Glenlo Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear stephanie p,

Thank you for your review which we enjoyed reading! We are most fortunate to be set in such an aesthetically pleasing back drop overlooking Lough Corrib. Glenlo is such a peaceful place! I will pass on your kind words to Maura and the entire team here in Glenlo whom I am sure will find them most encouraging.

Chris Austin
Regional Operations Manager, Tifco Hotels Ltd.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

So aristocratic and non-updated. Room 302 had a lovely view of the river, very spacious. Magnificent breakfast room, with a white Liberace-like piano (for show). Delicious food. Beautiful drawing rooms downstairs. Quiet, with beautiful music in the background. Extremely willing and energetic staff - they bring fresh coffee or tea immediately to your room upon awakening! Ah! An idea we could all profit from.

We had dinner on the authentic 1920's Orient Express railcar on the grounds. Just superb, and the head waiter/manager (Kevin I think) is a scream.

Would love to return. There was something so restful and peaceful about the place. Really special.

Room Tip: Our room 310 had a lovely view of the river.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Queen1000,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! It is heartwarming to read your kind words. We would agree that Glenlo is such a peaceful place and we choose our music carefully to compliment this. We are always happy to deliver tea or coffee to guests bedrooms in the morning to offer a welcome caffeine boost to kick start their day! I will pass on your kind comments to Kevin and the entire team here.

Thanks again Queen1000
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights this April and were very disappointed. The hotel had lovely grounds and views, however our room was just plain awful! I was traveling with my mother and we had requested double/twin room. The assigned room was overlooking dump containers where maids collected dirty linen. In hotel staff's language - room overlooks walled garden. Sure, wall of dumpsters.
Old, uneven beds, Linens and "quilts" were very old and frail, pillows flat. We had 5 mismatched tables alongside the walls. Still not sure of a reason except this was the room to dump old furniture.
Furniture was old and very uncomfortable. Internet available only in the business center.
After a long day of driving in the car I was hoping to rest and sleep well. Not in Glenlo Abbey.
This was not a 5 start hotel! Avoid

Room Tip: If you are looking for double room, get a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Irene M,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. We were disappointed to read your comments however feedback of all types is welcomed and used to strive in our commitment to enhancing our guests experience.

Regional Operations Manager, Tifco Hotels Ltd
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Myself and my husband have just arrived back from a wonderful weekend at The Glenlo hotel.
The best and most efficient way to describe the experience is to say Thank you to all.
From booking with Sandra, phone calls from Maura whilst en route to hotel and then the welcome on arrival by Anna, we honestly felt like we were special friends. what we would give to have them all as darling nieces, we would visit constantly ( lucky ladies not to be) . How Maura maintained this level of cheery helpfulness daunts me, she is a powerhouse of information and shares it so enthusiastically , these ladies are certainly the foundation stones of this hotel.
The hotel is fabulous , deserving of such wonderful staff, a love affair between two entities!!!
Old world charm abounds, beautiful sitting /reading rooms, magnificent dining room, our bedroom was huge and so comfortable with all the amenities of the 5 star quality we expect.
Breakfast in the beautiful dining room was fantastic, with buffet or breakfast cooked to order, the fresh fish of day was scrumptious, once again congrats to catering staff for such fresh servings.
I thoroughly recommend anyone visiting Galway and wanting to have total quiet and tranquility 10mins from a major bustling city visit Glenlo abbey, it is the best in my books and I am not known to be the most tolerant of guests, honestly!!!!
We just so want to go back soon to visit our new friends.
Enjoy.... I know you will.

Room Tip: Just talk to receptionist, they are so honest and helpful.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rathgardublin,

My goodness what a lovely review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Ffrench Room and Library are indeed very comfortable and conducive to whiling away the afternoon with the newspapers or a good book. It is lovely to hear that you made new friends here and know that you are remembered fondly in Glenlo. I will pass your lovely comments to Maura, Sandra, Anna and the entire team whom I know will find them heart warming.

Regional Operations Manager, Tifco Hotels Ltd
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Hotel was very good apart from fact that Pullman Resturant is not open every night which was not made aware to us when we arrived so when we went to dine there on second night it was disappointing as we were most looking forward to eating on the Resturant. The dinning room was lovely but the meal was average and not what I expected. However the hotel the service and everything else was excellent

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Caroline O,

Many thanks for your recent review. I am very happy to read that you found the hotel and service excellent. Our apologies for neglecting to inform you that The Pullman was closed however perhaps this may provide the ideal excuse to return!

Chris Austin
Regional Operations Manager, Tifco Hotels Ltd.
Ballymore, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here on the June Bank Holiday weekend as our wedding was on the Saturday. The hotel staff were all so friendly and helpful. We both felt like VIPS for the whole stay. Any request or queries that we had were dealt with immediately and efficiently. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for the perfect place for a wedding as the grounds for photographs are amazing and you really do feel like you are in the middle of the country even though you are so close to the city.

Maria the wedding coordinator was exceptional and we could not fault her on anything - we did not have to arrange anything once we arrived and the room was everything and more that I ever could of wished for. Every single one of our guests commented on how helpful and friendly all the staff were especially Sandra on the front desk who greeted everyone with a smile. A few of our guests even opted to stay a second night as they did not want the weekend to end. The food that they prepared for our dinner was perfect and even the food the previous night in the cellar bar was delicious.

We really cannot wait to come back in a years time for our 1st anniversary dinner!!

Room Tip: We were in one of the suites on the second floor with a view over the lake which was stunning!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Treasa H,

My goodness what a wonderful review! The team here in Glenlo were delighted to be part of your wedding day. We would agree that Glenlo is indeed the perfect location for such a special event. Thank you for your kind words about our service and food, I will personally pass them on to the whole team, Sandra & Maria. I know they will all be deliighted!

Chris Austin
Regional Manager, Tifco Hotels Ltd.

Been to Glenlo Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!