“The Ship Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dover, England, United Kingdom
“The Ship Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Booked in with family for Sunday lunch. Never been there before so unsure how to access restaurant and walked through one bar then into another bar as no signage advising where the restaurant was. Approached the bar with my daughter-in-law to ask directions, (who was carrying my Grandson who is 19 months old) to be told quite surly that children are not allowed in bar areas! Once we located the restaurant and we're seated and other family arrived, the staff were polite but not friendly and obviously don't encourage children. The food was lovely, no complaints there, but feel children are not welcomed at all. Sorry but they should advise people that children are not welcome, although they probably realise that they would lose custom.

My review should be more about the food, as it was lovely, roast dinner as it should be, but the whole experience was ruined by their total lack of warmth. Certainly wouldn't recommend for families!

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Staffs
“Gastronomic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Popped into the Ship Inn for lunch and couldn't have been more surprised!
A super little traditional pub at the front serving a good range of real ales which are kept at their peak.
When we walked through to the restaurant which was very busy for 1.15 on a Wednesday lunchtime, we were surprised to have a fabulous view of the sea. The wine list was the the finest I've seen in any pub and would not look out of place in a fine-dining restaurant.
The food was a real gastronomic experience with fresh fish and seafood and I can't wait to revisit the place again.
In a nutshell it's a "True Gastro Pub" and fabulous value for money!

uk
“Fantastic service and lovely food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a favourite restaurant of mine particularly as I am within walking distance. The décor is very modern and although this day was not sunny the view was lovely. I started with the scallops and the only reason why I did not give the restaurant 5 stars on this visit was because this dish was only lukewarm, and I am a bit picky about my food being served piping hot. The flavours are good, although I do prefer the pea puree which the dish used to be served with as opposed to parsnip puree which I think it was this time.
My friend and I both had the skate wing which was absolutely delicious as usual, and this is served with a caper butter, little potatoes, and a salad. As the skate was just a tad on the small side I could have done with just a few more potatoes especially as I don't eat much of the salad , but that's just me.
We both bypassed desert and just had coffee. As usual we then spent hours just chatting and although all the other guests had left a long time ago we were never rushed or made to feel guilty about still being at our table. I think that is the sign of good service, and when we finally left the staff were polite and friendly. I fully recommend this restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Essex, UK
“Absolutely fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Restaurant is clean, bright and stylish with fantastic views of the sea and a great atmosphere. Staff are very welcoming, friendly and attentive (especially Sam), The food is always excellent quality and well presented. Roof terrace is great for lunch and drinks on a sunny day. A little gem in Sandgate.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kabul, Afghanistan
“Excellent service, great food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Just had lunch as a large family group with young kids. Staff were really attentive and accommodating and food was delicious and clearly homemade. Excellent experience all round.