“Weekend get away !” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lenham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Weekend get away !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a Manor House Executive Double, raj room nice enough little tacky themed ,with Indian elephants etc , let down by stained carpets , bed sheets also need to be checked as ours were in the last throws of usefulness . Staying as we were in a rural kent hotel set in over 20 acre of parkland we were very disappointed to find and hear our view to be of the kitchen extraction pipes and motor which had a very noisy wearing sound. Unknown to us the hotel was hosting a wedding and I am sure it makes a tremendous wedding venue ,the guest staying we're very noisy with there shouting down the corridor to the other rooms and banging on doors this went on until very late , way past 12 am . May I point out that my wife and I are in our late fortes and not prudes , just wanted a weekend way , did not wish to go to the bar in case it was full of the wedding party , who were by the sound of it a little worst of wear so stayed in our room . We were awoken very early by the room next to us passionate endeavours , at least we were not late for breakfast ! . A general chaotic affaire slow service , long waits for main breakfast meal ,I believe caused again by the above mentioned wedding party surfacing for breakfast and putting pressure on the kitchen ,food a little dry dare I say pre-cooked reheated , wife had omelette very over cooked not the level one would expected below par for even a budget hotel .Staff service very friendly, attentive and polite , not the relaxing retreat we had hope for and feel not worth the £149.00 night fee , It may be hand picked ,not by us again though .

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us over the weekend. I am truly apologetic that you did not enjoy your stay with us completely. I am equally disappointed that we did not have the opportunity to discuss your concerns during your stay as I am sure that my duty management team would have reacted positively to your issues and done their best to enhance your enjoyment of your stay. Clearly the wedding celebrations taking place at the hotel effected your stay to a certain degree despite the arrangements that were in place to ensure that they had their own dining spaces, lounges and bar facility away from our leisure guests. I am sorry that these arrangements did not allow you to feel comfortable in enjoying the public spaces of the hotel. We will certainly take on board your comments and use them as a tool to improve upon our service and product delivery.
Gareth Davies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Cheshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Was at this hotel for a work conference and black tie dinner last week. IT is in the middle of nowhere pretty much, so be prepared for tiny country lanes en route! The village of Lenham looks pretty, possibly worth a visit if you get chance. It looks lovely from the outside, slightly worn on the inside. Some areas look more worn than others; the toilets near reception for example look quite dated. The restaurant looks lovely and so do some of the smaller meeting rooms. We were put in a funciton room that was far too small for our group, although I suspect that wasn't down to the Hotel and more to do with the person that organised the event from our end. Anyway. I saw one bedroom and it was nicely decorated but again, looking a little sad and ready for a refresh. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was clean, but nothing special. I stayed at the Premier Inn Maidstone and it was lots fresher. The lunch was very strange; panini sandwiches that were not properly toasted; they were stone cold and the bread not remotely toasted. There were pastry tarts which had caramalised onions, sliced tomato and the smallest amount of cheese you have ever seen, they were more pastry than filling! The evening meal was utterly vile. The afore-mentioned tarts seemed to have been recycled for starters by adding a slab of goats cheese and re-heating them. My main course was roast chicken with grey vegetables...and brown water. It was the worst restaurant meal I have ever had. The new potatoes (all 3 of them) had obviously been sliced hours earlier and left in the air as they were grey. The green bean (singular) had been squashed to the size of a flat drink stirring straw. The gravy was an insult to gravy, it was brown water. The 2 baby carrots were the tastiest thing on the plate. My friend had roast pork which was mostly fat, atop some grey lentils, surrounded by the grey vegetables and swimming in that brown water again. Utterly vile. The dessert was a delight in comparison; white chocolate parfait/mousse with dark chocolate sauce. It was ridiculously sweet but I was so hungry by this point that I wolfed it. The service was nothing spectacular; the lunch time staff were borderline rude, the evening staff marginally better.

Compared to Wood Hall, Crewe Hall and The Rookery, this hotel is a poor relation. It could be lovely, if given some TLC, but I would not recommend it at the moment. Come on, Handpicked, you can do SO MUCH better than this!

Room Tip: 30 minutes from Maidstone, no taxis at Lenham Station.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Naturally it is disappointing to learn that your experience here at Chilston Park did not meet your expectations. It is especially saddening to receive your comments considering the polar opposite feedback received from the organising party of the event that you attended who "absolutely loved our time" at the hotel. Clearly there expectations of the venue and service that they expected to be delivered did not match your own and I apologise for any disappointment caused to yourself. We will of course pass on your comments to the organisers of the event to ensure that they were indeed happy with the events as indicated in their glowing feedback. In addition I will ensure that my whole management team review your comments and look at how we can improve our product and services to better deliver for all our guests.
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We attended a wedding at this venue and stayed in a Manor House Executive Double. The only criticism is when we laid in bed we could see the cheap brackets holding up the canopy and we had rather tatty and ill fitting window curtains in our room.

The food was excellent, as was the service from the very friendly, attentive and helpful staff.

I would recommend this as not only a wedding venue but as a nice place to stay. It has a relaxing cosy feeling. Perfect for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the wedding celebrations and would recommend the hotel to future guests, thank you for this kind words. Naturally I am really keen to address the points you highlighted in relation to the quality of accommodation offered,. With this in mind I kindly ask that if you have a spare moment would you mind sending me an quick email to identify the room that you in? my email address is gdavies@handpicked.co.uk. Your assistance would be greatly valued as I am sure that we can deliver improvements in these noted areas.
Once again thank you for your review and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We went to a wedding and stayed at the hotel. We got a special room rate because we were part of the wedding party. However I would have paid the full price because the experience was so good. We paid £65.00 for the room proper price was £114.00

The room was in the main hotel and up a couple of flights of stairs. It was very spacious, with a mock four poster bed and good views of the garden. Tea and coffee making facilities.

The whole experience from check in to check out was perfect.

The only bad point was that the restaurant ran out of mushrooms and fried eggs at breakfast. I had to order fried eggs separately which took quite a while to arrive.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Guest
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a wonderful time at the wedding celebrations. Apologies for the wait on the eggs at breakfast time, I trust that this did not spoil your stay too much. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My Mum was married here on the 8th February. The staff were fantastic , the level of service they offered was above and beyond perfect. Chilston park made this a day to remember. So thank you to all the staff at Chilston Park

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to read that your mothers wedding celebrations were so enjoyable and that the team looked after you so very well. I really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

This was our first stay at the hotel. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, especially the restaurant staff who went out of their way to be helpful and give a wonderful dining experience. The food was very tasty and cooked to perfection. The breakfast was very filling and again served very well with pleasant staff. I compare the food with Queens Grill on the Cunard fleet of ships which we have sailed on a multitude of times.It compares well and some of the food was actually better.
The room was spacious and very comfortable. We had a huge 4 poster bed that was very comfortable and aides a restful nights sleep. The bathroom was well appointed with a huge free standing roll top bath. Plenty of hot water too. Excellent tea/coffee facilities.
The grounds are well kept and there was plenty of parking. There is a huge lake that is very entertaining with wildlife. All in all an excellent experience and one I will go back to.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Guest
I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your recent stay with us with many highlights standing out for mention. I very much hope that you choose to stay with us again in the future.
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed at the hotel as part of a work event and I have also attended a wedding there in the past.
I love the secluded country location of the hotel, you really feel that you are away from it all (even while being at a work do!)
The staff at reception desk were very friendly and the general staff throughout the day were fantastic. Always smiling and cheerful, ready to help out.
My room was across the courtyard and really quirky with a set of steps leading to the bathroom. The overall Room is excellent, cozy, comfortable and I could happily just stay relaxing I my room. Tea and coffee making faculties are present with hot chocolate and shortbread also part of the selection.
I slept extremely well in the very comfortable bed and the charm of the room made me feel totally relaxed. It was quiet during the night as you are literally in the country and there are no noises from roads or other civilisation.
Breakfast was a great selection of hot and cold foods, all very tasty.

I would recommend this hotel and would always come back for another visit.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us at Chilston Park. Naturally it is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your short stay with us even though it was business related!
Gareth Davies

Been to Chilston Park Hotel? Share your experiences!