“Excellent Christmas experience” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rochester
“Excellent Christmas experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed over Christmas 2012 on a 3 night package. The hotel was beautifully decorated and the Christmas extras such as the choir singing and birds of prey display made it feel extra special.

Most of our party really enjoyed the Christmas day lunch (I personally felt the turkey was very good) and despite being very busy on the day it was all served in good time. All other meals were excellent, and overall the highlight being the lovely and helpful restaurant and bar staff.

We stayed in the Carousel room, but it seems the bedrooms do seem to vary. Our mattress was rather soft and would have rather have had one the same as another room which was much firmer. Apart from the TV which had a poor-ish picture and seemed to buzz rather loudly the room was lovely - large and with pleasant views over the lake.

Overall I would recommend for any special occasion.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest
It is extremely pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Chilston Park over the festive period. We have received many wonderful comments regarding the celebrations and we are of course delighted to receive your kind words in addition. The choir and birds of pray show went down particularly well and it’s great to read that you also enjoyed these activities.

I hope to welcome you back to Chilston Park again in the future and once again thank you for the review.
Gareth Davies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed here for one night in order to attend the evening reception of my Godson's wedding.
My Husband had been due to attend as well but could not, due to illness, so I went on my own.
My room, 'Adam', was in a cottage next to the main building. It was cosy and welcoming on a cold weekend, with beamed ceilings and antique furniture.
Wide choice of organic teas, coffee, hot chocolate etc in the room, plus shortbread biscuits.
Decent sized bathroom with huge walk-in shower, (I had requested a room with shower only). The bed was extremely comfortable and I slept very well.
I requested the vegetarian breakfast in my room, at 9.30am, on the Sunday morning.
It arrived promptly and was hot and delicious, with the best veggie sausages I have ever tasted.
A couple of very slight 'niggles',there was some noise of footsteps from the room above, but other than that the room was quiet and peaceful. Also the room was quite dark, even with all the lights on.
I would also have found a magnifying mirror and slightly better positioned light in the bathroom useful when applying my make-up.
Apart from this I cannot fault the location, accommodation or the helpfulness of the staff.

Room Tip: Discuss your requirements on the phone with a member of staff before booking. I found Sian very hel...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to record your experience here at Chilston Park on Trip Advisor. It is extremely pleasing to receive such positive comments regarding your stay, thank you for your kind words in relation to the accommodation offered and service delivered by the team. I must also thank your for the constructive suggestions made to improve the overall experience for our guests. We will certainly look into the suggestions you have made.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Myself and my Mum visited Chilston Park Hotel in December for a night with Tony Stockwell, this included a three course meal and two drinks, we decided to book a room also. We had a fantastic time, the staff are very helpful and friendly, and the food was lovely, we had full english breakfast included with our nights stay. The actual hotel is stunning with chandeliers and open fireplaces and a big sweeping staircase, our room was very nice and comfortable with all amenities. We would both highly recommend this hotel and we look forward to going back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Chilston Park. The event held by Tony Stockwell proved to be a huge success and by all accounts the evening was enjoyed by all who attended. This year we are holding a number of different events throughout the year and we very much hope to be able to host Tony and another of his psychic medium nights within this calendar of events.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

It’s taken me a while to think about how to write this hotel up but it was like a hotel in two halves

When I booked the marketing team phoned and established that it was my husbands birthday, the package, what time we wanted to eat, the fact that we had a guest for one night and I was really impressed. As it was a special occasion, I had booked a junior suite. When we arrived, we were offered two rooms and my husband chose the one I had not booked on account of it having a nice view (beautiful actually, over the lake)

The room was a ‘themed room’ and pleasant enough. However the bathroom could not possibly be called romantic in any way. Even ‘functional’ is being kind as the mirror was too high for me to see in. This bathroom really needs to be addressed VERY quickly. Horrible.

The food as always was wonderful and the restaurant staff were outstanding: I have nothing but praise for them. However, the conversation with the marketing team may as well not have happened. The reception staff seemed to be completely oblivious to our requests and even aske if we would be ‘dining in that evening’ when we had a guest and had discussed it in detail with the marketing team! The overall impression was therefore very mixed: disorganisation on the reception side coupled with a bathroom that I would not have had at home which together, managed to let down a great restaurant

To make matters worse, someone from the water board had put a valve on backwards overnight, which meant that there was no hot water on the first morning. Instead of phoning / putting a note under the bedroom doors nothing was done to notify the guests so we all spent time trying to coax the bathroom to work. Not having any previous experience of the bathroom, I had no idea that this was not how it general was

Overall it just was not how I wanted my husbands birthday to be, despite the excellent food

Room Tip: make sure the bathroom has been upgraded in the last 20 years!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Naturally it is disappointing to read that on this occasion you did not completely enjoy your stay with us here at Chilston Park. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the areas that you have highlight as not delivering to the standard that you expected prior to your visit. Your constructive comments in relation to these aspects are invaluable to us as we strive to deliver the best possible experience to all of our guests.

I am glad your experiences within our restaurant and general interaction with our team members highlighted the levels of customer care that we do regularly deliver here at the hotel and hope that this part of your experience would lead you to consider revisiting the hotel again in the future.
Manchester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed here for one night as guests at a wedding being held here. The hotel is lovely, full of charm. Our room was at the top of the hotel overlooking the lovely gardens. The wedding went without fault and a great time was had by all. The only downside was the food, the main course of belly pork was overcooked and dry, but not at all crispy like it should be. However breakfast the next morning was lovely.

It really is a charming hotel, each room in the main house is different with its own character. Our room was spacious with a lovely bathroom, with tea and coffee making facilities, bathrobes, slippers and a flat screen TV.

Two niggles, which aren't huge but disappointing in a hotel of this calibre: we were unable to check in on arrival due to the time, which is fair enough, so we left our bags in our car. I then went and checked us in after the ceremony, and was not offered any help with luggage at all. In fact, the giy said "I'll show you your room then you can go and get your bag." The second thing was that we ordered a morning paper. At nearly every hotel I've stayed at this has been complimentary, but here we had to pay, which I didn't find out til check out. Not a big deal at all, but surprising.

Would stay here again and would recommend it, people who like charming boutique hotels will love it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that on the whole your experience was a positive one and that you enjoyed the Wedding celebrations. I must also thank you for the constructive comments that you have made that when addressed by the team and I will improve the services offered by the hotel. I would also like to offer my apologies for the experience that you have described when having to carry your own luggage from your car to the hotel. I will certainly look into this situation with my concierge team.

Once again thank you for the feedback and your recommendation for the hotel to future guests.
Hythe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I arranged a Christmas meal for 28 colleagues in the Orangery at Chilston Park. There was a lot to organise with some diners also requiring rooms.

The room was tastefully decorated for the festive season and the table once laid out, looked fantastic. The service was excellent and all diners received their meal hot and exactly as ordered from the menu.

The cost of the meal was a little on the pricey side, but the added extras of mulled wine on arrival and mince pies and coffee at the end, made the whole evening worthy of the cost, An enjoyable evening was had by all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your private event held here at Chilston Park, I am naturally delighted to read that your party enjoyed there dining experience. The Orangery is a lovely venue to hold such events with uninterrupted views of the grounds from three sides and it’s attached private bar ensures that parties have there own private space to meet and relax in. I am glad the cuisine lived up to your expectations prior to the event.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope that you return to Chilston Park again in the near future.
bromley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our large group of 16 people spent New Year at Chilston Park Hotel in a private dining room.We have spent the past 20 years at various hotels all over the south east of England and this was one of our best. The hotel is delightful, lovely bedrooms, excellent food and the staff are especially worth a mention.We have not often experienced this sort of friendly,smily and efficient service. Quite exceptional we all felt. And no we do not work of have any connection with this hotel other than being guests for just one night! Try it, you will not be disappointed. James

Room Tip: Stay in the new section
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Great to hear that your party thoroughly enjoyed our New Years Eve celebrations, we have received some wonderful comments from our guests and we are delighted that everyone had such a good time. Thank you for the kind words in relation to the team and quality of cuisine offered, I will be sure to pass these comments onto the team.

We hope to welcome you back to Chilston Park again in the near future.
Gareth Davies

Been to Chilston Park Hotel? Share your experiences!