“Outstanding stay” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boughton Lane | Sandway, Lenham ME17 2BE, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lenham
“Outstanding stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Thouroughly enjoyed a 2 night half board stay at this classy, beautiful, stunning, countryside hotel, more a staely home.. Any issue we had with our room was straightened out immediately and we were swiftly whisked to a new spacious, lavish room with the promise of an upgrade to a palacial 4 poster bedroom on our secondday. The room overlooked the front lawn and lake and made the entire trip worthwhile.

We took the opportunity of one of their 4 countryside walks, inside their own vast grounds and trecked in our wellies for ages. The surroundings are stunning, their tree lined, half mile carriage drive with cows and sheep watching you from both sides a joy to view.

Finally, I have to mention the staff.. Victoria is a gem, all the staff were polite and more than enjoy working there, but I have to keep the food until last... amazing, is an understatement.. local produce, top quality, plated perfectly and plenty of it too. Was a great shame the menu remained the same for both nights we were there, but there was adequate choice to make anyway.

Being non drinkers and having read other comments regarding high priced drinks, as we are non alcoholic drinkers, I was concerned their soft drinks would also be pricey, but with a diet coke coming out at a small cost of £2.20 found that very reasonable and the staff had no issue with us ordering a jug of iced "tap" water at dinner on the first night, they brought us another jug on th second night without us asking.

Will we go again, absolutely and are starting to save the pennies again for the next visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for placing your review on Trip Advisor, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Chilston Park. I am glad that we managed to resolve your original issue with your accommodation so well and you had the opportunity to enjoy the best of the properties bedrooms. Thank you your kind words in relation to Victoria, you are quite right she is a real gem and I am very proud to have her as part of the team here at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming back to the hotel again in the future, once all those pennies are saved!!
Gareth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Had a champagne weekend break at this lovely hotel on 1st September; the location was ideal with lots of places to visit close by. The small town of Lenham, just a few minutes from the hotel, is definitely worth a visit it has an antique centre, cafe and some nice shops. The hotel and grounds are stunning, and the staff very attentive and professional. We love the history of this elegant hotel with its antiques and paintings. Our room had a 4 poster bed and it overlooked the lake, I only wished we had stayed longer but we will return! In the evening we dined in the restaurant and the food was excellent! The menu was varied with lots of local produce and my main course of Hake was amongst the best I have tasted. They have a good selection of fine wines and we selected a bottle of Italian wine (from Toscana), which was exceptionally good. Breakfast next day was delicious and relaxing. In fact, this is the reason why I always like to stay in a "Hand Picked" Hotel. I would like to thank Julia Hands, the founder and owner, on creating such a wonderful collection of country house hotels for that relaxing and self-indulgent weekend experience.

Room Tip: The room descriptions are on the hotel's website. We stayed in the old house part of the hotel r...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for placing your very positive review on Trip Advisor, it is truly wonderful to read that your visit to Chilston Park was so successful. I will be sure to pass on your comments regarding the team to them and our chef will also be made aware of your glowing report on his new Hake dish.
Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Chilston Park in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 3rd Wedding Anniversary here during August this year, We did the "Champagne Getaway" special offer which cost us £149.00 for our room which I must say was upgraded on arrival to a four poster room at no extra cost, also included was a 3 course fine dining dinner for two, a bottle of champagne and breakfast for two the following morning. This experience completly exceeded our expectations and was very good value for money. The food was delicious and well presented and all the staff we had contact with were attentive and polite and looked after all our needs to a very high level. I will not hesitate to visit this lovely hotel again in the future. The only down side was the cost of the wine, which came to my attention when I bought a small glass of Pinot Grigio at over £9 a glass! Luckily I had a free bottle of champagne to drink during the meal and finished it off after the meal. Lager was around four pounds a pint which we could just about justify buying for my husband to drink On the positive note as a whole overall package we felt that we had a good deal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for placing a review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to the hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your short stay with us and found our current accomadation and dinner offer to be great value. and exceed your expectations.

Workington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

A beautiful country hotel in heart of Kent countryside. Ideally located off motorway and main roads, within a hours drive of Kents seaside towns. The hotel looks superb as you drive up to it. Ample carparking in lovely grounds. The reception staff were very pleasant and made me feel welcome. Thankfully, our room was ready earlier than expected, so after a 400 mile drive that was good news! Room was clean and airy. Breakfasts sumptuous, evening meal fantastic. The waiters/waitresses were brilliant, so helpful. Kept smiling throughout even when the ducks from the hotels lake tried to invade the dining room. Highly recommend this hotel to any readers. Thank you to the Manager and staff for a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest
Thanking for taking the time to record your experiences here at Chilston Park on Trip Advisor. It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the restaurant team and kitchen brigade.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope to welcome you back to Chilston Park in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed for a one night stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary and birthdays.
Received a warm welcome from the receptionist and directed to our executive room which was superb, very clean, spacious and bright.
Dined in the restaraunt in the evening and despite them getting my wifes meal wrong the quality of the food was outstanding, all fresh local produce. Breakfast was also of the samme standard and a varied menu even smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.
The staff were very accomodating and seemed to want to make our stay enjoyable.
Large grounds and lake making a very picturesque location. Giant chess and croquet available.
The hotel is quite expensive but you only get what you pay for. will definitely stay here again.

Dear Guest
Thank you for such a fantastic review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Chilston Park. It is wonderful to hear that the team played such an large part in the enjoyment of your stay from the warm welcome through to the team within our restaurant.

Once again thank you for your kind words and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
Gareth
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Went here recently for a wedding and managed to get a good deal on the room through the Bride and Groom. The room and hotel were beautiful and I would definitey stay here again, BUT it was £10 for a glass of wine in the bar. Yes you read that right.......TEN POUNDS for ONE glass of wine. I don't get it. I think it's disgusting and begrudge going back for that reason only. Most of the wedding guests had to go to the off licence and buy beers which they sneaked out to their cars to fill up. There is nothing around the hotel so they really don't need to charge that, they've got you there! Shame, because the hotel is beautiful and very peaceful. Breakfast was lovely too.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for placing your review on Trip Advisor, I am disappointed that you have chosen to focus this review on the only negative aspect of your entire visit to the hotel on the occasion of attending your friends very special wedding day. I hope that other readers of your comments not only note your feelings regarding our bar prices but also the very positive comments you have mentioned in relation to the accommodation and surroundings the hotel offers. From review of our wine list I note that the glass of wine that you mention being charged at £10.00 is a large glass at 250ml (1/3rd of a bottle). All of our wines are especially selected for their quality and are a reflection of the 4 red star manor house in which they are served. This level of quality as with anything in life comes with a price to match. I also note your comments in relation to other members of the party you were attending visiting local shops and bringing their own alcoholic beverages onto the site. This is something that we certainly do not encourage and in fact is covered within the agreement between the hotel and your bride and groom. So I do thank you for bringing this to my attention, I shall be sure to follow this up with them shortly.
LONDON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My friend and I had a wonderful nights stay at Chilston Park. The hotel is set is stunning surrounding and the hotel itself is very classy. We had a beautiful twin room, beds were really comfy, room was tastefully decorated and had a huge TV! We had a great 3 course dinner and breakfast, which were excellent, locally sourced produce and ingredients. Staff were really polite and helpful. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Guest
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Chilston Park and thank you for recording your experience on Trip Advisor. I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the cuisine offered and quality of our bedrooms. I am delighted that you found our team to be polite throughout your stay.

I very much hope that I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Gareth Davies

Been to Chilston Park Hotel? Share your experiences!