“Excellent B&B and would stay again!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lorne House

You added Lorne House to your Saves list
Lorne House
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   London Road, Box, Corsham SN13 8NA, England   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Box B&B and Inns
Sugar Land, Texas
“Excellent B&B and would stay again!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We spent two lovely nights at Lorne House while visiting Bath and the surrounding area and would definitely recommend it. A solid 4.5 stars from me and my husband.

I did a lot of B&B and hotel research before booking this place and I can tell you that places fill up FAST in the summertime, so if you are looking to stay in the area, book early. We booked their last room for a Thursday-Saturday stay and we are very pleased. We stayed in a double room on the bottom floor which they called room 5. There are 4 rooms shown on their website, and we stayed in the 5th, unshown room. Our room was similar to the ones in the photos with a comfortable queen sized bed, coffee/tea equipment, wet room for a bathroom, etc...

We arrived a little early but called ahead to alert them. We were met by the 20-something son who was nice but a little out of his element. He showed us to our room in the basement and we settled in. The room has a small window to the outside, but we didn't need it open at night even though it was very warm outside. Being in the basement, our room stayed cool. The bathroom was nice and very modern. The shower had options to come from a handheld or rain shower in the ceiling. The shower is part of the larger bathroom and there is no clear distinction. I would have liked a slight step down into the shower because the first time I turned it on, I expected it to get the bedroom carpet wet, it didn't. The sink is quite tiny and the toilet was fine. The bathroom was really pretty but not as functional as I would have liked. A slightly larger sink would have been nice. Honestly, this was my only issue the whole time. The room also had a TV which was nice to watch in the evening after a long day of walking around.

The house is super cute. There is a garden out beck and a 2nd floor deck that is a great spot for breakfast or hanging out in the evening. The B&B is the childhood home of the Rev. W J Awdry, author of Thomas the Tank Engine. There is a historic building marker on the outside.

The staff was great. The owner was nice and quickly had suggestions and advice for anything need had questions about. In the room they provided a box with flyers on all the close by attractions. The owner and staff (Jackie) gave us advice on where to park in Bath (Cricket Club lot is best!), and how to take a bus if we wanted to not deal with a car. We chose to drive into Bath each time which was easy.

Parking: This was one of the few B&B's I found with free onsite parking. They have a few spots on their property and on the weekend, you can park (for free) next door in the doctor's surgery. We never had a problem with parking and the B&B was full the whole time we were there.

Breakfast: Delicious! Jackie makes a full English breakfast to order. We had eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, toast, cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, etc... I tried homemade lemon curd and WOW, it was amazing. I had never had lemon curd before and it was amazing! The breakfast was very hearty and delicious.

WiFi: There is free high speed WiFi available and it worked great. Being from the USA, I wanted access to my smartphone and the WiFi was perfect.

If you are looking for a place to stay in the area, don't stay IN Bath, stay outside in one of the many small towns. We paid an average of £90 a night which was half of some of the hotels and B&B's in Bath. It took us no time to drive the 4 miles into Bath when we wanted to go there. We also had free parking and no traffic for when we wanted to go to Avebury, Lacock, and other small villages around.

Don't spend a ton of time like I did looking at B&B's and trying to find convenience, cost, WiFi, parking, etc... I did the work for you and found Lorne House. Stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ashover
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Very friendly and most comfortable B&B in a quiet little village.
The room we has whilst being a little on the small side was very comfortable and benefited from having a super wet room. The beds were very comfortable overlooking a pleasant back garden.
The breakfasts were exceptional served in a lovely Victorian breakfast room.
When the B& B was busy parking could be tight and a little challenging.

Room Tip: Ask for room to the rear as it is very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Frankfort
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

My family and I stayed two nights. This was such a great place to stay! The proprietor was Jackie and was so very nice along with two other lovely women! Very nicely ran and very clean. Wonderful bath with a wonderful shower! The breakfast was so good with amazing English bacon! I would love to go back to this great little village!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
nz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed here for omly one night. The room was delightful. So quaint. We were well looked after by owner. Well priced and in good walking distance to pubs and restaurants, highly recommend this to couples.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Leyland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights for visit to Bath and local area. Room was large with comfy king size bed and modern wet room Breakfast lovely with lots of choice. Jackie was very helpful with directing us to great local pub, The Northey for dinner, terrific food. Great location for visiting Bath,on site parking allowed us to leave the car and just half an hour to Bath city centre on local bus.

Room Tip: worth paying for a deluxe room, one double room (not the one I stayed in), which I assume is a stand...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed a night at Lorne House in May 2013. The house has been well restored and is in excellent order.

Our room was on the first floor and was very neat and clean. The bed was wonderful and comfy and we had a great night's sleep. The decor was lovely and the room was supplied with lots of teas, coffees, hot chocolates and biscuits. The wet room was of a good size with a great shower. Breakfast was nice with a range of options. The lady serving the breakfasts was particularly friendly and helpful and gave us some good sight-seeing tips for the area.

The house was the childhood home of Reverend Wilbert Awdry and its close proximity to the rail line was said to be his inspiration for writing the Thomas The Tank Engine books. A great find and I recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

When I say pricey, it's in keeping with most of the accomodation round here - that said I can't really fault the house or the room, other than the room being a little on the smallish side. However, the adjoining wetroom is very chic, and the shower superb. Cant get used to sitting on a square toilet though - seems a bit, well square. I now understand why conventional toilets are shaped the way they are!! But 10/10 to the owners for flying in the face of traditionalism and trying something bold for this type of house.
Parking is limited in a smallish driveway at the side - there is another property just at the bottom of the driveway, and if the owners cars are there it's very very tight to turn around. That said there's a doctor's surgery next door and you'll be allowed to park on it outside the working hours of 9 - 5:30. So my advice would be to do this if you can. I was unaware of this until I'd parked in the driveway.
Breakfast is as high a quality as you'd expect for an establishment like this.
I'd be happy to stay here again - however being on a tight budget and having to pay my own expenses - it would have to be only occasionally. If you have your expenses paid though, Go for it - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Lorne House? Share your experiences!