“Perfection” 5 of 5 stars

Ixworth House
and 1 more site!
You added Ixworth House to your Saves list
Ixworth House
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   St Edmund Close, Ixworth, Bury St. Edmunds IP31 2HP, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Ixworth B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

I booked Ixworth House very last minute online as part of a business trip and had no real expectation of what to expect. So I was delighted to be met by Sharyn and John when I rang the doorbell to their impressive home.

I use the word 'home' very selectively as that is exactly what it felt like when I walked through the door. The welcome was warm and sincere and it was instantly obvious that they have incredibly high standards, as the reception hall is decorated beautifully.

Whilst I was speaking with Sharyn, John had kindly taken my case up to the room - which as a regular business traveller is so unexpected and appreciated, as I normally have to juggle my way to the room with bags, briefcase, spare suit and shirts.

The room was perfection - a very good size, with very smart bathroom, and very tastefully decorated. The bed was extremely comfortable and they used fine bedding and quilt - I had a great nights sleep.

I judge my overnight business accommodation by the bed, the bedding and the shower - so I was delighted that the shower was hot and free flowing from a large shower-head.

Breakfast was a joy - and an unusual luxury for me - so after a great selection of cereals, yoghurt and fresh fruit, I chose scrambled eggs with smoked salmon from the extensive menu. All cooked perfectly and presented beautifully. Gallons of fresh coffee to wash it down, completed the most perfect start to the morning.

Sharyn and John are the perfect hosts; there know when you need them to provide conversation and their extensive local knowledge, but clever enough to know when to give a guest some space - this is a rare skill, but one which they are blessed with.

Proudly displayed on the dining room walls are the many awards and accolades that Ixworth House has won, and I (just like the other reviewers) would wholeheartedly agree with those well-deserved awards.

Ixworth House is a real gem, run by really lovely people, and I would have no hesitation in recommending anyone to stay there.

As I said in the title - perfection !!!,

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Dovercourt, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I was taken to this delightful home for a short break to celebrate my birthday.
Lovely warm welcome. John used his muscles to carry our bags upstairs while Sharyn put the kettle on. We stayed in room 3 with the beautiful roll top bath that really did tempt me to " wallow" in bubbles.
Breakfast set us up for the day the next morning and we had a thoroughly relaxing couple of days.

Would highly recommend Ixworth House.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

I simply cannot rate Ixworth House highly enough. The house is an absolute credit to John and Sharyn. It's warm, beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean and it even smells divine! I stayed in room 3 which has a superbly comfortable king size bed, desk space and a fabulous bathroom with the property's original roll top bath just begging to be filled for a long hot soak!
I was greeted like an old friend on arrival and very much enjoyed chatting to both John and Sharyn who took a genuine interest in my work and my day ahead. Breakfast was delicious - smoked salmon and scrambled egg - with a choice of fresh juice, cereals and toast. Sharyn will even pack you up a breakfast picnic if you have an early start. I really do hope to have reason to stay again and wish John and Sharyn all the very best with the business in the future.

Room Tip: Room 3 has a roll top bath - perfect for a good soak at the end of the day.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

My husband and I decided to take a country break from London over Thanksgiving weekend and this was the best place we could possibly have decided to go - it had everything a getaway should have: peace, quiet, a gorgeous setting, lovely food, and a spacious room. John and Sharyn felt like family from the moment of our welcome and we felt at home immediately. We will definitely be returning!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Battle, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights earlier this month. John and Sharyn are wonderful hosts and offer a warm welcome, in a beautiful home. The attention to detail with their hospitality is their gift.
Guests are genuinely cared for during their stay. We plan to return next year Rob & Ros Thomas

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Prenton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed three nights and from the minute we walked through the door we felt the warmth and care that Sharyn and John provide for all their guests. Ixworth House is beautiful, clean, warm with a wonderful breakfast and was everything we could have hoped for. The environment inside and out is calm and welcoming. The interior design is fabulous, which I believe is all down to Sharyn, in fact this B&B is quite unique. Ixworth is a lovely village with three excellent places to eat and is just a few miles from the market town of Bury St Edmunds. We can't wait to stay again in 2014.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Newent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights. Sharyn and John are lovely hosts and were always interested in what we had been doing during the day. The room we were in was perfect, very large with a nice sofa and a great shower room with a rain shower. There was plenty of choice for breakfast which was always very well cooked and nicely presented. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ixworth House? Share your experiences!