“Lovely Experience - with reservations” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
20% Discount on Suites
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Milton
West London
“Lovely Experience - with reservations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

We have been to this restaurant twice now, both for special occasions, once DB&B once for lunch.
The building is exquisite and a lovely environment and when the weather allows it is lovely to sit in the garden before or after the meal.
The staff, mostly French are very attentive without being overbearing. Service is efficient and attentive, just right.
Once we tried the Découverte discovery menu (10 course £116pp) and once the Classiques (5 course £96pp). The food is lovely and the bread of many types is wonderful. I would say the food is slightly better than I have had at another 3* Michelin restaurant in the UK.
The wine list as would be expected is extensive from about £30 per bottle to just over £3,000, but you can locate several bottles at £30 to £40 (phew!).
So a wonderful special experience overall.
Gripes: We (x4) decided to have a glass of champagne while choosing the menu. OK I expected the £12 per glass although the 125ml looked a bit lean for that, but I was a little taken aback (when I later saw the bill) at the £24 per glass (125ml) for the Rose champagne (offered as an alternative) – It would have been nice if they either filled the glass for that or mentioned that it “was a alternatively priced”! Also noticed that on a menu at £95pp there was a £3.50 supplement if you wanted a side dish e.g. spinach. An experience like this could be made much nicer if you didn’t feel in the back of your mind that they were adding as much as possible to an already pricey event. Go wild chuck in a bit of free spinach Raymond !

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
CambridgeUK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

A late posting...We stayed last summer. In lemongrass - wonderful room. We had a lounge lunch (excellent salad and chips (maya gold potatoes, best ever?)). Scones in afternoon were best too! The gounds are lovely to hang out in. The hotel feels busy with it large lunch (day trip) trade. Crowded in lounge and around house in garden (rows of tables)

Wonderful setting, great service. We had planned a picnic to take when we left - which was prepared beautifully.

The down point was dinner - tables are packed in. I ordered some vegetables (as i do in all swanky restuarants) and was really excited as they were grown metres away -but they were overcooked and over seasoned. Firsh was tasteless. However, the staff service was lovely - friendly, attentive, flexible (bringing in a complilmentary extra course we had spied on the lunch menu that was off the evening one)

Expensive. Great experience. Worth it at least once definitly.

Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Le Manoir in Citronnelle. We were celebrating our 37th wedding anniversary. I didnt realise that my husband had told them this at the time of the booking. This had been remembered and we were presented with a glass of champagne in our room. The food and wine was excellent during our stay. The hotel itself stands in beautiful grounds with an organic kitchen garden, tea garden etc. with beautiful statues around. The overall feel of the place is peace and tranquility. It felt like home. The icing on the cake was meeting the man himself. You can see why he is such a success with what he does. His eye for detail is so apparent here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

We had our wedding reception at Le Manoir and decided to go back for our first wedding anniversary, tempted by a mid-week promotion they had on. This was the first time I had stayed rather than just eaten at the restaurant.

I have always found that the charms of the place are subtle. It doesn't wow you in the way that some restaurants do, but you realise at the end of the evening that you have had one of the best, most magical evenings of your life. There's something special about the service - it makes you feel like you are being taken of care of totally without being fussy. We met Raymond Blanc too, which was a nice bonus.

If you like the restaurant, then would recommend staying there once at least. Everything was as perfect as you would expect from such a place. We stayed in Cameo which was fabulous, with a great view from the bathroom.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

I had a lot of expectations when I booked Le Manoir for my wife's 30th Birthday. Some good, some not so good. I was worried about our ages... would we feel out of our depth here? Would my lack of knowledge of food and wine be glaringly obvious and ridiculed by the staff team who obviously live and breath fine dining?

Well, my fears were unfounded. From the second we parked the car, it's obvious that this place is a little special. It was pouring with rain when we arrived. We parked the car as the car park wasn't too busy. Within seconds, a very polite man arrived complete with umbrella to escort my wife to shelter, then coming back for me whilst I opened the boot to get our luggage. We were asked our name, which was confirmed from a list very quickly, and our room was then advised to us and we were told that our luggage would be there waiting for us.

We took the umbrella's with us and walked to reception. Again, we were extended a very warm welcome. We were very quickly shown around the main house (the lounges, champagne lounge, the location of the dining room) and then guided to our room. We were shown around our room, asked if we wanted tea served in our room (which we did) and then left alone. Having already paid a deposit for the booking, I wasn't asked for anything vulgar like a credit card, we were simply shown the room and allowed to relax and unwind - after being advised of our dinner reservation - 8.30pm for 9.00pm dinner.

The room (Eugenie) was outstanding. Very calm, relaxing environment. Soft music played quietly in the room and the "extra's" I ordered were there as requested - including chilled Champagne and home made chocolates. In addition, there was still and sparkling water, along with Madeira Wine and a selection of fresh fruit.

The usual selection of toiletries were available in the bathroom - all very nice. Water pressure was superb in the shower (it makes a difference when you're expecting the best!) and the bath was just amazing. Simple touches like a fragranced sprig to run under the bath water to create a relaxing bath make all the difference. A large LCD screen graced the room - showing a selection of the popular channels. In short, on all occasions we needed to ring room service, food and drink arrived promptly, beautifully served. The ironing board and iron we requested was delivered almost immediately.

On to the food then... Well, it's amazing! We arrived at 8.30pm to be greeted by the friendly staff. We were escorted to the lounge and asked whether we would like pre-dinner drinks. We were given time to look through the menu's, to which we decided upon the 5 course menu - the Classic menu. The Sommelier arrived for our wine order - after taking some advice before we went, we asked him to suggest wine's for each of our courses - which were, of course, perfect. A full description of his choices ensued - very informative and he was very happy to discuss further when prompted. Something I found very interesting.

Having previously rung through to them to advise them of my wife's aversion to Cheese, this was remembered and our waiter asked us if the menu was to our satisfaction and if we would like any courses to be exchanged for an alternative - they would be very happy to do this. We didn't in the end, but it was refreshing - they really do want you to enjoy the food and don't want to force you to eat food you don't want! A nice touch was that everyone who we had contact with wished my Wife a Happy Birthday - a really addition to their outstanding service levels.

I took the Cheese course and the Sommelier came along to advise me on the best wine to accompany my choices. Again, this was near perfect and really set my Cheese course off perfectly.

In short - it really was fantastic. An amazing place, with outstanding service. Upon returning to our room, our slippers were left out either side of the bed. The bed had been turned down ready for us. Water was placed on the side tables, the lights were lit accordingly and it was just the perfect end to the perfect day.

In the morning, we asked for breakfast to be delivered to our room. It was promptly delivered at the time of our asking. Beautiful pan au chocolate, croissants, VERY fresh orange juice, toast, preserves, tea and coffee.

Check out was smooth and simple. The bill was explained to me very clearly and they took the time to ask about the stay and took genuine interest. Everyone called us by name when contacting us, which really adds to the personal feel of the place. We were asked on our plans for the afternoon, to which we advised we were heading to Bicester outlet village. We were presented with a VIP card to use giving us 10% discount (needed after the bill!) and a full explanation of how to get there and what to look out for.

We felt valued and appreciated throughout our stay. The service is outstanding. Not once did we feel out of place and the people whom we engaged with (in terms of humour or conversation) were reciprocal in terms of humour and conversation. If we engaged, so did they - if we wanted leaving alone - they did it instinctively.

Yes, it's expensive. However, not once did I feel that I was paying for something I didn't see the value in. The food was outstanding. The knowledge of their craft was a pleasure to witness (for example, the Sommelier). The service was the best I have experienced and my wife enjoyed every second - which was precisely the objective. My thanks go to everyone at Le Manoir - good service at it's best. If you're prepared to not worry about the money and simply relax, it's outstanding. I can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

A great place set in a lovely décor. We stayed several nights in the beautiful suites and dined in the restaurant almost every day. The quality of the kitchen is consistent at the highest level. Of course some people might not like the close attention of the staff, but I found them very non-intrusive and genuine friendly. We stayed as a family with two little children and felt more than welcome, every day. Nothing is impossible and the staff really does go ‘the extra mile’ regarding special requests. If you have seen a lot of high-end places around the world; Le Manoir will not disappoint you.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

This hotel is amazing, if pricey! My husband took me for my 50th birthday and we stayed in the Dovecote, which is a 15th century converted dovecote in the grounds. It is like having your own little house! It is on 2 floors, on the ground floor is the huge, luxurious bathroom and upstairs is the romantic, fairy-lit bedroom. It has to be the most beautiful hotel room I have ever seen.

As soon as we pulled up in the car park there was a member of staff there instantly to take our bags, and this set the tone for the whole weekend. Staff are always around but not intrusive. You might even recognise one or two from the tv programme 'The Restaurant'!

We had dinner in the restaurant, which is something special to experience. We went for the a la carte and it was all beautifully cooked and presented. Try the cheese trolley, it is amazing and the staff love telling you all the details of the different cheeses.

The grounds are beautiful, especially the Japanese Tea Garden, and tea on the lawn is wonderful.

It cost about £1200 for the one night, which I know is a lot, but for a special occasion, you just can't beat it!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons? Share your experiences!