“Very ordinary and overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Guildhall Tavern Hotel & Restaurant
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Hall Square, Denbigh LL16 3NU, Wales   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Denbigh B&B and Inns
Denbigh, United Kingdom
“Very ordinary and overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My partner and I popped in for supper one evening. The food was very ordinary and vastly overpriced, would never return. We did not stay there but had to fill in the date to complete this review

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Very pleasant stay, Staff friendly and helpful, breakfast excellent and hearty, evening meal quality food. We stayed in the Dinbych Suite which was tastefully decorated, clean and spacious. nice touch decanter of sherry. Two negatives, they forgot to service our room one of the days and the bed needs a topper,could feel the springs, the room was expensive, they definitely need to upgrade the mattress!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
North Wales, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We are regular visitors of the Guildhall Tavern Restaurant and can not recommend it enough! We have dined several times both lunch and evening and can say that the ambience, quality of food and services are excellent! We always find the staff are polite and friendly and the food is absolutley mouth watering good!! It is so nice to have fine dining food in a relaxed atmosphere on our doorstep! A three course meal with drinks and liquors cost us £60 - very reasonable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Essex UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Stayed here for two nights last week. Stayed in the Ostler room which was a good size, modern, comfortable and had a decent sized bathroom with nice toiletries. The only slight criticism was that the room overlooked the square which was a bit noisy due to people constantly pulling up in their cars to use a cash machine.
Breakfast was good and we also had two evening meals there which we enjoyed - can recommend the steak and ale casserole.
The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Abergele, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

We ate here on a Saturday lunchtime. There were aprox 4 tables ordering food and the kitchen did n ot seem to cope. We waited for 3/4 hour for sandwiches and chips. When they came, we were very disapointed with the lack of flavour. I had the smocked salmon sandwich, which did not have the correct dressing, but I did not want to send it back as I was too hungry and feared how long it would take to come back to our table!!! The chips were nice and chunky, however I am a big fan of ketchup and covered them in what can only be described as Red Vinagre! I have eaten here once before, and we pre ordered our food before arriving as we were in a big party. On this occasion the food was ok (ish), but again we waiting a long time for it to arrive, and we had to wait quite a long time between people's food arriving. All in all I would not recommend this venue, or return.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I was looking for somewhere romantic to celebrate my one year anniversary with my boyfriend and came across Guildhall Tavern on this site. I'm so glad I picked this place because the hotel,restaurant & staff are absolutely wonderful. I booked pretty last minute and was enquiring about any offers they may have. Due to availability, they offered to upgrade me to a suite for the price of a classic room!! However, due to unforeseen circumstances, we could only stay for one night rather than the original two that I had paid for, so when I called up the receptionist was really nice about it. They couldn't give me a refund on my deposit as it was less than 24hrs but I could spend the money on dinner/breakfast/drinks in the hotel instead (I was planning on that anyway so it was no big deal). The Dinbych suite we stayed in was absolutely beautiful, very roomy with an amazing four poster bed & a clawfoot bathtub in the 2-persons bathroom. They also provided complimentary sherry/tea/biscuits in the room too. The highlight of this trip for me was the dining experience. We were absolutely blown away by the food and would definitely travel far just to eat here again. I highly recommend this place and we would definitely be making regular trips back as it is truly unique.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Betws-y-Coed, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

North Wales is wonderful in a 70s way except when it comes to food. It is a land ruled by over priced tea shops and doilies. A place where a really grim sandwich limed with value margerine and green boiled eggs will set you back the best part of a tenner. So hurrah for the Guildhall, at last, at last. My enthusiasm knows no bounds. A beautiful renovation, great wine and good straightforward delicious food at such a reasonable price. I am so happy that this place exists. My only plea, please sell crisps, they could always be cool crisps.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Guildhall Tavern Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!