“A sad tale, but worth a read!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)

You added Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gateway Svc Westbound A55, Northop CH7 6HB, Wales   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Northop
Colchester, United Kingdom
“A sad tale, but worth a read!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I would like to begin by saying I am a fan of the brand see my review of Ellesmere Port Holiday Inn amongst others for evidence. That's where I usually go but was delighted to find one nearer to my relatives and slightly cheaper as I am in the area several times a year.

The first thing to note is its a bit of a pain to find your way back to without a satnav from anywhere in the area. It's on one side of a duel carriageway which makes getting to it a bit complex as the road signs give no clue. We had a murderous journey from Essex with problems on the A14 and M6 so our journey took hours longer than normal. We were absolutely exhausted when we arrived.

We walked into reception with our luggage and I said "evening" and the man behind the counter let out a huge sigh before turning to his computer. Now call me old fashioned but is that the kind of response you should give as you welcome your guests? My response was "Clearly you've had a bad day?" The response was "I've only just come on!" I said "oh dear that doesn't bode well for your shift if that's how you feel at the beginning of it?" He then continued to stare into the computer and made no eye contact at all but just responded with “Name?” No friendliness at all, just another boring day "at mill" for him. Thankfully a more welcoming and friendly face soon appeared in the form of tall blonde receptionist. I describe her as she needs to be identified for praise from heavily sighing Man/Manager? That's how it should be done! Take a lesson from her! Friendly, professional and efficient! Our room keys were issued and off we went.

We had three rooms booked and the first two rooms were warm but we arrived to ours which was bitterly cold. So we turned the wall heating controls up high and and unpacked whilst waiting for it to warm up, but nothing happened and forty five minutes later we realised nothing was going to happen so called reception who sent up a mobile heater promptly. The room took about an hour to get to a good temperature.

The rooms did not have that fresh and clean feel and smell about them which is unusual for this brand of hotel. Our room/bathroom was filthy in some areas, see photos. The photo of the carpet at the side of our bed does not really clearly show how dirty it was but that part did not see a vacuum for the three days and nights we were there. There was mildew in the shower, the bathroom tiles on the floor had years of dirt especially in the corners and behind the door. Skirting boards had thick layers of yellow paint and were marked and dirty throughout. see photos. The hairdryer had one of those annoying curly cables which meant even stretched did not reach the height of my head so I could actually dry it in front of the mirror. To add to that it only worked on the cold setting and cut out every time I tried to use the hotter setting, meaning I had to wait ages for the cut out to re-set. On the cold setting the drier was useless, like using a very tired fly to blow dry my hair. Tea and coffee was not replenished. One measly packet containing three biscuits between two people on arrival and that's your lot! Well their net cost is 12p! One biscuit each and a fight for the third one! I won! I won! lol!

The first night we put a do not disturb label on our door as we didn't want to be disturbed early the next morning by the cleaners after the awful journey. Yes okay we forgot to take it off the next morning as we left, but the cleaners were only three doors down as we came out of our room they were in the corridor so I asked them could we please have a packet of biscuits each in 217? The cleaners said “yes no problem” But importantly the cleaners not only saw us come out of the room with our coats on and walk towards the exit door, we also mentioned it was room 217 where the requested second packet of biscuits were needed! So they knew which room we were in and also that we were clearly going out as we had left the building! We were mortified when we returned late that evening to find our room had not been entered at all by the cleaners and nothing touched because we had accidentally left the sign on our door. Surely we aren't the only people to have ever done that? So after a busy day out we had to make our bed, wash our dishes, sort the room, towels still wet etc and manage without tea or coffee as it obviously hadn't been replenished and wasn't replenished the next night we came back either despite the room being serviced that day. So the leaving with our coats on and giving the room number a few doors down to the cleaner was not a clue that we had left the sign on the door by mistake? The clues were all there! It's not rocket science!

Every morning we came down through reception I said "good morning" to same heavily sighing man mentioned earlier. You have to give me top marks for trying? Did I get a customary response? No, of course I didn't, he just looked up and back down again. Why do people like this work in the hospitality industry? (hospitality ie. hospitable.....) I have no idea it's such a contradiction! Answers on a postcard please!

This hotel does not live up to the standards of other Holiday Inns I have visited. It doesn't hold a candle to Ellesmere Port except for the WIFI which is far superior here. It's well below standard and has a Manager or whatever he is that should not be anywhere near the place or paying guests!

My overall view of the Holiday Inn brand has been tarnished by this experience. This hotel needs a deep clean and possibly a refurb! Buyer beware!

Room Tip: Room Tip: Find another hotel. Ellesmere port HI is not far cleaner and better value for your money
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West), responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Flamehairedandfeisty,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It is certainly disheartening to read of your experience and the fact we fell short in rendering great service during your stay. We regret that you had this encounter instead of the high quality experience that is more indicative of Holiday Inn. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We travelled up on a Friday for a 2 night stay, to celebrate a friends birthday. Had quite a bit of trouble finding the hotel. Arrived very late in the evening. Plenty of parking spaces available. We had a family room which was very clean and spacious, but could do with a fresh coat of paint. Tea/ Coffee etc was supplied. Beds were very comfortable. Plenty of towels provided. Ample hanging space for clothes. Went down to the bar for a few drinks, bar staff were very friendly. There was a wedding and a party on the evening we arrived, could not hear any noise once back in our room. Our room was situated at front of hotel and dual carriageway, again could not hear any traffic noise....
The only downside was the Iron, would advise you to iron your clothes before leaving home.

All in all a lovely stay and would stay again :-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Darwen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Use this for business trips - location not great as on a busy dual carriageway however if it is for work only then just the job. Rooms are warm & comfortable with little noise to disturb you. Good restaurant or bar menu with a good buffet breakfast to set you on your way! Well worth booking if working in this area.

Room Tip: Only have a few executive rooms which are allocated on a first come first served.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
MJSCHEUK, Manager at Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West), responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that we met your requirements for your business trip as indeed we do for a large number of our midweek guests who's primary purpose for staying is work related. With a large number of Business Parks in the region and easy access along the A55 our location is a convenient base. Business aside, our location is also convenient for the leisure traveller who wishes to visit Chester and the North Wales coastal attractions.

I note your reference to our Executive Rooms and am sorry if you were unable to upgrade on your recent visit. The Executive Rooms are popular and very competitvely priced so are often booked early. Upgrades for Platinum Priority Club members are done on a first come, first served basis where there is availability on the day of arrival, however due to the large number of regular Platinum members we are not able to offer all guests an upgrade. We do however give a local benefit of 20% off food and beverages in the Restuarant and Bar.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

As we weren't able to get into the lovely 'Springfield Hotel & Health Club', we were lucky enough to book a double room at the Holiday Inn, at short notice.

Again, easy to miss as you're right on the turning before you know it, as you speed along the A55. However, we were greeted by some friendly staff on reception, and were soon able to chill with a hot bath and a glass of wine.

The room was lovely, and the choice of meals was excellent. You've got the obligatory McDonalds, Subway and an American Diner. Yet also, the hotel's own bar and restaurant.
For the first night we chose the bar menu (although the 'all you can eat buffet' curry night looked quite appealing). The service was excellent, in a relaxed environment which would suit not only the weary traveller, but also business person etc.

As we unexpectedly needed to book another night, the hotel was accomodating - and we also got a discount which was unexpected. After a slow cooked pork burger (with chips) and some chocolate peanut butter pie from the diner, and an evening meal in the hotel, and a hearty breakfast (with eggs cooked to order on your request) again we were well satiated.

We would definetly come back here again, in addition to the Springfield Hotel just down the road. They have different fortés, but are both lovely.

Thank you Holiday Inn Chester (West) for making our time enjoyable

Taff & Pam

Room Tip: Keep your eyes peeled for the hotel sign (lit up) as it's easy to miss.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed which highlights the range of choices available for dining whilst here at the hotel. I am pleased to hear that you have had an enjoyable stay and I hope that we will see you return again in the future.

The access to the hotel from the A55 is shared with the service area, once in the area of junctions 34/33 on the A55, please follow the new road signs for 'Services' to avoid missing the hotel.
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We have stayed here on several occasions and have bever been disappointed.
This visit last Saturday was once again excellent.
We were treated to a quiet room at the rear of the hotel due to a Christmas party that had been pre-booked.
The Premier Room was clean and well appointed and offered all the amenities you expect from a Holiday Inn.
We were looked after by friendly staff and thoroughly enjoyed a good selection of food at breakfast.
An ideal location for access to North Wales and Chester.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MJSCHEUK, Manager at Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West), responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you very much for your lovely review and your continued loyalty it is very much appreciated. We hope to see you again soon.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Ideally locatedon A55 for commutting to Chester and North wales. Located next to macdonalds, subway and another restaurant. Hotel restaurant ok but very over priced for very average food. I would use this hotel again but would not use the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MJSCHEUK, Manager at Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West), responded to this review, December 12, 2012
First of all, thank you very much for your review of our Hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the meal offerings as this is an area in which do get a lot of positive feedback due to the extensive range we offer of which all is freshly prepared in our kitchen. If you would care to contact me with details of your stay and the meals taken, I will be more than happy to investigate. Please email: Maria@HolidayInnChesterWest.co.uk.

With an extensive Bar Snacks menu, A La Carte menu, Specials Board and Carvery/Curry Buffet on selected evenings there is a wide range to choose from. Priority Club customers also benefit from discounts off meals (terms and conditions apply).
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stay here often and have been here on this occasion for two days. I cant really fault it, i piad £58 a night, its clean tidy with a good restaurant.

Unlike most Holiday Inn hotels that bleed you dry for every penny, this one is well priced and the internet is free. Yes, I will repeat it, 'THE INTERNET IS FREE'.

There is plenty of parking, the staff are nice and friendly and my room was kept spotless during my stay.

Nothing really to add other than it is a good hotel, well priced, with 'FREE INTERNET!'...

Room Tip: Spend an extra £10 or £20 and get a business room, i did last time and it was really nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review which is very much appreciated. We do strive to keep our rates competitive and as you kindly point out the supplement for the Executive Rooms is also good value.

Here at Holiday Inn A55 Chester West we have a 20Mb/s download speed which is delivered wirelessly by a FibreSpeed connection so is uncontended. Whilst more and more Hotels are recognising that WIFI is not a luxury that should be charged for we have always given our guests FREE WIFI. I'm glad you appreciate it.

Been to Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)? Share your experiences!