We arrived at Leeming House on a Sunday afternoon after some difficulty getting there due to the bad weather (A66 was shut due to snow) but remarkably the roads there were clear. We were checked in quickly and given details of the Macdonald Club as we tend to stay in their hotels on a regular basis.
We found our room which overlooked the car park and trees which did disappoint us but we hadn't paid premium rate so not to be expected really. The room was really clean and spacious with a lovely king size comfortable bed, we did request extra pillows for our second night as they were quite thin for our liking. The only thing our room lacked was a fridge which is normally provided in other Macdonald hotels we've stayed in . We didn't really use any facilities, not that there are many! The sitting areas were quite small and it did have a feel of being in somebody's house! The views are stunning , just a shame there's not many places to sit and appreciate them inside the hotel unless you have a lake view room. There was a bar apparently but looking at the price list(£7.50 for a bottle of beer) we were glad we brought our own refreshments!
The location for the hotel is handy as it is only a 5 minute drive from the A66 which takes you towards Keswick and Bowness, and 7 miles from Penrith if you wanted to eat out . We only had breakfast in the hotel but it was superb and the staff were all very pleasant and courteous. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay for the chilled out couple of days that we wanted but if your looking for a bit more action on your doorstep or you have children id recommend staying at The Old England in Bowness.
I must say this would make a perfect spa hotel if they provided a pool!
Good value only because we paid with Tesco vouchers. I wouldn't pay full price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Leeming House is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels offering luxury and comfort in beautiful surroundings. Set in 22 acres of beautiful grand gardens in the countryside of Cumbria, our 200 year old country house hotel offers breathtaking scenery and fine facilities. With direct access to the shores of Ullswater and a private fishing licence, this hotel is a popular choice for family holidays, business and weddings. Macdonald Hotels' Lake District location in Ullswater offers the perfect retreat whether you're on a romantic break away, a business trip or exploring the surrounding countryside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, LateRooms, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater Hotel Penrith
- Macdonald Leeming Hotel Ullswater
- Macdonald Leeming Penrith