“nightmare!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Grant Arms Hotel

You added The Grant Arms Hotel to your Saves list
The Grant Arms Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   11 Market Place, Ramsbottom, Bury BL0 9AJ, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Ramsbottom B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“nightmare!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed for one night to celebrate my birthday and had a terrible time. We went out for a few drinks and when we came back went to listen to some live rock musicians in the function room. What we didn't realise was that our bedrrom was directly over the function room and the music was deafening when we returned to our room. When we complained we received a complete lack of customer care and complete lack of interest from the manager. We were expected to pay the same price for a room at the front of the hotel directly over the function room as those staying at the back of the hotel who were undisturbed by the noise. We complained in writing on our return home, it took them a month to reply with a badly writen response which did not address any of our complaints.

Room Tip: get a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for five nights

On the plus side - Manager and his staff were very welcoming and friendly.
The room was kept very clean - especially the bathroom.

On the negative side.

A Hotel is supposed to have a Restaurant - when I tried to order a meal everything was off because the food supplier had not supplied. The next night a sign went up saying kitchen closed.

I ordered bacon and poached eggs for my breakfast, to be told 20 minutes later that the chef had tried 4 times to do poached eggs - would I like them scrambled, I tried them but they were awful - the next morning I got a breakfast in town.

On Monday I ordered a pint of Thwaites Wainwright (the only one on) to be told it was the end of the barrel - would I like something else, on Tuesday evening it was on again so I ordered a pint and it was like vinegar - so I went out for a drink.

Carpets throughout the hotel had seen better days - some of them badly stained.

I thought Fawlty Towers was fictional.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Ramsbottom hotels

Taunton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I had a good stay here in 2002, when I stayed in the rear extension and all was quiet.
In 2010 I had the misfortune to stay during the football World Cup in the front wing, where all was far from quiet.
Bedroom had no curtains on windows, only blinds, which of course let in the early morning sun from 5am in summer. It also had no chairs to sit on before bed time nor at the dressing table. The reception didn't understand why I found this unsatisfactory.
The exterior noise could have been lessened if management encourage people to leave at closing time, but they didn't and rowdy behaviour continued beyond midnight.
Also the refreshment tray was not cleaned and changed daily, and again the reception failed to understand my complaint about this.

Room Tip: Ask for the rear extension!
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Ryde Isle of Wight
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

We stayed here for one night in March. The hotel is well located in the town centre but set back from the mainroad so there is no noice. Near to the shops and resturants. The downstairs bar was busy and did food aswell in you didn't want to go out.

We walked through the bar and up the stairs to get to reception, although there is a separate entrance at the side.

We only ever came accross one member of staff who was great, very friendly and attentive. The poor chap seemed rather busy the whole time we were there, both dealing with reception and in the morning taking orders for and serving breakfast, he may even have been cooking it too. But he never ceased to be helpful and cheary.

The room was a good size, nicely furnished and clean. The bathroom was clean also a good size. Tea, coffee, biscuits and toiletries were in the room. The room was very quiet with no noice from the road, rooms next door or the busy bar below.

Breakfast was fantastic with a choice of hot drinks, juices and cereal. The portions on the cooked breakfast were very generous, bacon,egg, hash browns, tomato,beans, black pudding and toast I think there were mushrooms too.

Would definately stay here again if in the area and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for two nights. I have to say that the manager was a charming and very helpful chap. The rooms were nice and he made every effort to accomodate every request. The pub was friendly and lively the night we arrived, and he was cheerful and hospitable behind the bar. He also served at breakfast on our first morning, which was very good.
Unfortunately...Sunday was his day off. The duty manager, in his absence, was a young man who appeared to be cooking and waiting on at the same time. When we arrived there were four tables occupied in the dining room all of whom were kept waiting up to half an hour to place their order. In the meantime,we all weakest tea I have ever experienced and coffee which resembled hot water with the very slightest coffee coloured hue to keep them refreshed. There was no milk, no orange juice, and no cereal bowls. The crockery and cutlery were unclean, and my cereal spoon was a large serving spoon.
Our duty manager was joined at around 9.30 by a young chap wearing a track suit top who took over the serving duties.
He informed us that there was no bacon, and gave us an extra sausage to compensate. My breakfast also contained a single fragment of mushroom.
Some sympathy may have been extended had the whole dish not been stone cold and the sausages almost raw and completely inedible. They looked as if they had been taken out of the fridge and placed straight onto the plate. When informed, and asked to cook our breakfast, our tracksuited friend informed us that the duty manager would be out in a moment to solve the problem. He never appreared, instead dismissing the situation and retiring to the office behind reception to commence other duties. Track suit meanwhile was left to deal with a barrage of 'I haven't got this...', and 'there is no...' and 'my---- is not clean...' enquiries.
I approached our duty manager at reception to ask if he could heat my breakfast up for me, and he responded by informing me in an extremely rude and dismissive manner that he had 'loads of other things to do'. When I pointed out that taking care of his guests should be a little higher on his priorities, he gruffly informed me that I could have a refund of £5 for the breakfast. He handed me a form to sign off and presented me with £5. This was supposed to be an adequate refund for not one, but two breakfasts! I told him I did not consider it to be an adequate refund and asked him what the complaints procedure was, he asked me to write my name and telephone number down and told me that I would receive a call from 'head office' later in the week. He made no attempt to resolve the situation by cooking our food properly.
We also did not receive any clean towels for our second morning at the hotel.
I feel sorry for the manager, who, I reiterate, gave us oustanding service. I feel sorry for him because it is clearly not possible for him to take a day off without his establishment degenerating into a chaos which would have been comic had it not been for the quite disgraceful rudeness of his stand in duty manager.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I stayed at this hotel whilst visiting relatives in the local area, it also happened to be the venue for a Christening party I attended the following day.
I booked the hotel by phone about a week before at a single rate of £45 B&B, which seemed to me to be a little cheap for a hotel.
On arrival I was greeted at reception by the duty manager who politely inducted me into the hotel, checked me in, advised of the details of breakfast and pointed me to my room.
The room itself was small (but then I did book a single) and was adequate for the one night. The room was very clean, tea and coffee facilites, hair dryer and phone.
Three areas for improvement here: the hotel directory is old, and was dirty, it needs regularly updating with new information (particularly there is no TV channel directory), the TV is fixed too high on the bedroom wall so it cannot be seen comfortably from the bed, the shower is very weak.
On the menu it is proudly stated that "all food is prepared by a former asssitant to a Great British Menu winner". Thankfully (for the chef) his former mentor is not mentioned by name, and probably just as well, as the "protege" does not seem to have picked up any valuable lessons. The menu is very basic and lacks any form of fresh or local food. The staple items consist of baguettes or jacket potatoes, or pies, pasties or scampi and the like. This is such an obvious area for improvement. The area in general seems to lack a good value evening British restaurant, and with such a good central location, this could really be capitalised on. However in order to do so, they would need to employ a chef with a much greater passion for food than the current incumbent.
My experience of breakfast sums this up well. The restaurant (only open for breakfast and only for residents) is dark and in need of a facelift, if only a lick of paint! (This can be said for most of the public areas of the hotel). Most of the tables are set against walls or in dark corners which is unappealing.
There was a good selection of fruit juices and cereals, but the glasses were dirty (needed polishing) as was the crockery (perhaps the dishwasher needs a clean?). A gentleman came out to take my order (wearing shirt and tie, an improvement on the polo shirt wearing duty manager from the night before!). He took my order and my breakfast duly arrived a few minutes later. Sadly the quality of the food (as I had suspected) was not up to much. Very cheap sausages, overcooked and dry bacon, tasteless scrambled egg, and burnt toast led to not such a nice combination. Finally on the restaurant side, I would never allow my staff to park their bicycle on the rear wall of the restaurant! It really smacks of unprofessionalism.
On to the christening lunch (which I wasn't paying for so mustn't grumble too much) but a couple of points. There was a 40th birthday party in the function room the night before (you should really let guests know about the noise when they are checking in!). The floor had not been cleaned properly, the table cloths were stained, there were "Happy 40th" balloons floating on the ceiling. The function room bar had that "not been properly cleaned" smell. I think worst of all was that last night's duty manager was still there in what looked like the same polo shirt, and hadn't even bothered to shave.
To the owner: You own a potentially thriving business but either you or your staff have lost your way. It saddens me to see a property like this where standards have dropped to such a low that no one really seems to care anymore, we are in the hospitality business for a reason, but in this hotel there is no pride in what you do. I don't know your local market but it seems to me that you might be doing a good job of alienating any business you could have. My strongest recommendation: watch a couple of epoisodes of the Hotel Inspector on Channel Five for some ideas on how to refresh your business, you really need it.

Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

I went to the Grant Arms Hotel in Ramsbottom to visit friends who stayed there. We planned to have breakfast together. On arrival at 8.30 am my wife and I had difficulty getting into the hotel as all doors were still locked. The pavements outside were strewn with cigarette ends.
Eventually we gained access and were asked to wait in the dining room. It did not appear that any other guests were having breakfast. The tables still had crumbs from a previous time. The tables were not set. In the corner were a few small cereal packets together with an empty Coke bottle. There was a filter coffee machine switched on but it was unclear if the coffee was fresh or was from the previous evening.
We shook the table clothes and set the table ourselves. A waitress arrived and asked what we wanted. There was no menu but she assured us that we could have cooked breakfast. My friend asked for grapefruit juice but was told they did not have any.
We asked for toast and later received a pile of bread on one plate and a pile of toast on another.
The cooked breakfast, in fact, was nicely cooked.
The view from the dining room was across a deserted weed strewn patio. The canopies and gazebo had blown over and had not been removed.
I can understand that owners cannot change decor and fittings over night but there is no excuse for not providing first rate service in clean surroundings.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
GrantArms, Manager at The Grant Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2009
In reply to a comment dated 20 October
The hotel would not normally open the doors to the public before all cleaning duties have been completed. Hotel guests are informed that rooms are not available until 2pm again after all rooms have been cleaned and checked. The situation with the cigarettes on the pavement would have been dealt with during the normal morning cleaning duties. Without reiterating that at this time in the morning cleaning duties would have been in progress and the fact that no people were booked in for breakfast, whilst this does not excuse what appears to be disarray this would have been rectified by the end of the morning cleaning shifts. As you had made no prior arrangements for breakfast and as it is not hotel policy to just serve breakfast then although we would endeavour to clear the tables sooner this we feel this is an unfair comment against the Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your cooked breakfast as many of our guests do. I have noted your comments with regards to the patio area and have taken steps to clear this area.

Been to The Grant Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!