“I now go elsewhere” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Manchester, United Kingdom
“I now go elsewhere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I want to like this place and I have to say I have given it a go a few times, but each visit has been poor.

Poor service from the bar staff on every visit - more often than not they are more interested in chatting to each other. A total disregard to the customer.

All a bit cramped and a bit grubby around the edges - I now have my Sat afternoon pint and lunch elsewhere.

London, United Kingdom
“Best kept burgers in Ramsbottom!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I couldn't believe it when my boyfriend took me to this place, small and no fuss split over two levels filled with afternoon walkers and locals. We sat downstairs and eventually ordered the burger and wedges. How glad am I that we did. Succulent burgers and gooey mozzarella cheese with fresh salad and a beautiful red onion chutney. Wedges cooked to perfection and homemade garlic mayonnaise to finish it off. Frequently brought our friends French Bulldog with us on returning trips and he's been treated as the guest of honour with treats and fresh water every time.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Beer Tasting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

We visited the First Chop Bar on a beer tasting tour...we had 4 different beers plus others which we purchased & I can say all were kept well & tasted great..we also had lunch , which was burger & wedges , which was ok..if in the area again would visit here.

Visited November 2013
Ramsbottom, United Kingdom
“Great little pub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is a really nice place to go and get a drink with a lot of selection. Some of the prices of the drinks seem to be quite expensive for the area, but this shouldn't deter you, its still worth a visit.

I would have given it a 4 star very good rating but i have had food here twice and on one occasion it wasn't up to scratch. It was quite an early meal, around 2 in the afternoon, but i don't think this should make a difference. I had burger and chips and it wasn't worth the money, there weren't a lot of chips, and the burger just didn't taste as good as normal. In all i would say eat here for convenience if you are already drinking here, but if you're looking for a meal out i wouldn't choose this place.

Definitely worth a drink though. Always a good crowd and friendly staff.

Ramsbottom, United Kingdom
“Excellent service! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Went into the first chop last night for a Monday night drink with my girlfriend the bar was very quiet maybe a dozen people in as expected of a Monday night, ordered our drinks and sat down , the bar maid ( I think she was the manager) advised us on lagers and wine and seemed to know what she was talking about and was very friendly and made us feel welcome, after about twenty minutes or so a group of 3 came in ordered drinks and sat at the table next to us, they seemed ok at first but after a while it became apparent that they were a little drunk and were quite loud and kept swearing, feeling uncomfortable being next to them we talked about finishing our drinks and going somewhere else, not 2minutes later the barmaid who seemed to be watching the group went over to them and politely asked them to keep the noise down and refrain from swearing, the group seemed to listen but as soon she walked away continued as they had done , she again went back over and told them again ( still being very polite) and said they would be asked to leave if they didn't, she walked away, again the group started claiming it was a Monday night she should be glad they were in there, the manager then walked back and politely asked them to leave which they did, she then came over to us and brought us another round of drinks, apologised for the customers and gave them to us on the house for any inconvenience .

I would highly recommend this place I assume this type of customer is not welcome here and I can't explain how professional the staff member was or how well the situation was dealt with, but it's great to see how well The First Chop deals with situations like this, very pleased will definitely recommend to friends and family and most certainly be back again! BRAVO! An excellent venue!