“New chef?” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Doing business, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Set in beautiful Cheshire countryside, with magnificent views of the sandstone trailThe pub has a great reputation for locally sourced and freshly cooked food. The menu is quintessentially English and changes both daily and seasonally. We have some of the finest Cheshire real ales and guest ales from the surrounding areas.We look forward to welcoming you to the sandstone soon.
Chester, United Kingdom
“New chef?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Having been turned away from another pub in the area that was booked up, we decided to give it a go as one of our party had been before and loved it. We all agreed that the decor and ambiance was great and we loved the sound of the food on the menu. It was clean and well decorated. The staff were polite and served drinks at the table - a much appreciated change from other places in the area where you have to order everything at the bar. Overall we were excited to order our food and wait. And wait. And wait. And wait.......And wait. Finally when it started to come out the starters were OK - nothing special.. except for the Cauliflower soup was like water and tasted awful. I could see my wife struggling with hers and we left a lot of it. The mains came out quite quickly after our starters were cleared but I think they were just too eager to get it out because most of it was luke warm with a warm - hot sauce. I had a lamb shoulder with a really bitter gravy and a weird wet mashed potato that tasted like that frozen mash you can get from the supermarket. We decided to have puddings because my wife can't go anywhere without having something sweet. Creme Brulee was bland and didn't have a proper caramelized top. The cheesecake was like air filled mush that again had no flavour - so either they are not home made or the chef can't make puddings and should buy them in! My friend apologized saying he'd never had a bad meal there in the past. Upon quizzing the waitress it seemed that there was a new chef. We still had a good night, but that was the company not the food. My wife still wants to try it again, saying every chef has a bad night.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
snortler, Owner at The Sandstone, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear sir, thank you for your feedback, we as a small team here at the sandstone are always disappointed to here from anyone that has not had a good meal or experience, as you can see from the out weighing number of good comments, it is rare that we get it wrong, however on this occasion we did, and i am disappointed that it wasn’t as good as your friend had led you to believe.
I myself and the whole team apologise for that. We still have the same head chef that has been with us from the day we opened, seems you where misinformed about the new chef, however we do have local younger employees that we try and train to the same high standard as our senior members of staff.
Sincerely hope that you will try us again where we can prove to you that this is a one-off.
My apologies once again, and if you do decide to visit again, please ask for me direct.
Kind regards. Ian bowyer

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic as always!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I've eaten at the Sandstone so many times and have never had a bad, or even average meal there. The food is always cooked with skill and the chef clearly selects the best ingredients for the menu. This afternoon I had bouillabaisse which was really rich, full of monkfish, salmon and sea bass and surprisingly filling (I still managed to find room for the chocolate brownie though...).
Overall a great place to go whether you're with friends, family or partner - lovely atmosphere, location and friendly service.

Chester
“The Most Fantastic Quality Food in Cheshire - Fab Place !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Yet again, a truly marvelous combination of meals ordered by myself & guests, this really is a great pub, great food with amazing choice on menu, plus the decor and ambience is amazing, great selection of real ale & good wine with very friendly staff ! Will be back again next week !!

York, United Kingdom
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Hafthe pleasure of eating at this super pub whilst on a break in chester we ate at the pplace on Mon 2 enjoyed it so much revisted on the 3rd Great food and real Nice sélection of beers

Would recommence to anyone looking for à Nice place to eat

Shropshire
“Can't fault the food or service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I really can't fault this Restaurant. The food is excellent, atmosphere welcoming and service exceptional. We arrived late on a Saturday and although very busy they accommodated us with a smile. I would advise you book at the weekend as it gets very busy.

• Visited August 2013