“HENRY'S HUNTING LODGE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Manor House Hotel

You added Manor House Hotel to your Saves list
Manor House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Front Street | The Green, West Auckland DL14 9HW, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Auckland
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
“HENRY'S HUNTING LODGE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was a lovely place in pleasant surroundings. The twin room was spacious, bed very comfy, seats to sit on, traditionally dressed. Bathroom was clean and modern - plenty of towels and nice smellies. Had dinner in the conservatory restaurant which was very good, ate dessert in the garden. Breakfast was tasty with what appeared to be local sausage and tasty bacon. The swimming pool and terrace were very welcome as the temperatures were in the top 70s. For obvious reasons didn't use the sauna or steam room which were available. Jacuzzi was lovely and warm and smelled nice too. Lots of lovely spaces to sit in comfy lounges. Would use again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over the gardens
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
James H, Front Office Manager at Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Helegran.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant and enjoyable stay with us, and enjoyed making use of our facilities.

I have passed your kind comments on to all of our staff, and the management team, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

James Hart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed for the weekend 6th and 7th July, it was a break booked for my birthday and was a surprise so I didn't know where I was going, I loved the manor house hotel, our room was spotless, the hotel is full of character, the staff were lovely too. We had treatments booked in the spa which were very nice, (I would however check your own time against the clock in the spa as it appears to be a fewinutes fast). The grounds were lovely, food was good, all in all a very pleasant stay and I would return again. The only criticism I would have of the place is I found the stables bar to be a little intimidating due to the amount of young lads who seem to use it as a local, apart from that no other complaints :-)

• Stayed July 2013
Dear della47,

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay, and enjoyed making use of our facilities.

I am sorry that you felt intimidated in our stables bar, we do not get much of a younger crowd in there, and usually everybody who goes in, do just go for a quiet drink. It is not a place where rowdy crowds frequent.

I have passed your kind comments on to all our staff, and the management team, and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

December 2012, one day stay. It’s an interesting place. We chose it based on pictures and restaurant menu, not that there would have been too many options in this area. We arrived there late and in total darkness. At night the impression was a fancy haunted mansion, almost too much so for my wife and awesome for me. We hardly could find ourselves to the door as lights from the parking to the entrance were off.

We had a 4-poster bed “en suite”. The room was nice, spacious and old feeling. We heard everything and everyone from the hallway, but it didn’t really bother - almost added to the atmosphere. The lounge with the fireplace was nice. It was weird that we were requested to have a booking to a half empty (hotel) restaurant. As we didn’t have one we had to wait for over an hour to be seated (now to a almost empty restaurant). The restaurant tried it’s best to be a little fancy, but in reality both the food and the service were subpar. Breakfast was average, trying again to seem fancy.

Sleep was good, so was the service there overall. The building and immediate areas were beautiful. If we are around there again, we will go back. Preferably during summer time.

Room Tip: 4-poster bed rooms in the old main building might be more noisy, but have a nice atmosphere.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear vesa360,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and found it an interesting place.

I have passed your comments on to all our staff and management team, and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed here during the week and all I can say is ignore the negative reviews this Place is a little gem yes it can do with a little TLC but for what you pay for its a great. Food was great aswell as the spa!!!! Would really recommend it

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Gemmap978,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Manor House Hotel.

I am delighted that you had an amazing stay, and enjoyed your dinner and making use of our spa.

I have passed your kind comments on to all our staff, and the management team, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed here for one night with a good friend of mine with a WOWCHER offer which was excellent value - £89 for two people - overnight stay with breakfast and champagne and spa treatment the next day.

The hotel is full of character and history - and the receptionist was very friendly.

Our room was number 28 - we were tucked away in the corner of the stable rooms and it was very cosy. It was pretty quiet and nicely decorated. A little dusty in places and there were was a rip in my quilt but it was much better than I expected bearing in mind some of the reviews on here. I was pleasantly surprised!

Our evening meal was lovely - the dining area was nicely decorated and the staff were attentive. A little bemused as to why there was no drinks menu - only a wine list - but aside from that very good.

The spa was a little bit of a let down. It is very tired and in need of just gutting and starting over again. It was grubby around the edges and crying out for a bit of love and attention to make it somewhere you could feel special in.

The back and neck massage was fab though - but done in an old bedroom that looked like it had had some of the fittings ripped out and a massage table just plonked in the middle of it! I noticed too that they had given me my friends medical form and hers mine - not much help if there had been any problems!

All in all - I had an enjoyable stay - and I would love to see the money, time and effort put into making this a hotel this area can really be proud of.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room if you can!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Amy_Lea_10,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Manor House Hotel.

Firstly I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and appreciated the character and history of the building and found the receptionist very friendly.

I am glad that you enjoyed your dinner in our recently refurbished restaurant, and found the staff very attentive.

The spa and health club, have, and are still undergoing some maintenance and refurbishment work, which should be finished soon. I apologise that you found the spa a little grubby around the edges during your visit. It is only with guest feedback that we can aim to improve the service we offer. The health club manager has been tackling these issues.

During refurbishment, we did close our treatment rooms, and did use two of our bedrooms. We now have two beautifully decorated beauty rooms, that were knocked down and rebuilt from scratch.

I have passed your comments on to all the department managers, and hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon to see some of the changes we have made.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

pleasant old hotel but seriously needs upgrading reception hard to find if your disabled,the rooms are adequate but upkeep needs to be sorted quickly before this charecter building goes into disary,
food in the restaurant looked good on the menu but because we went at a weekend the menu was very limited to the extent that they hardly had anything that they were offering after checking with the chef he blamed it on the wedding party they had had in at the saturday, surely they should no how to cater for them as well as the rest of the guests,spa very poor two tiny rooms in a converted stable and a swimming pool area that was so hot it took your breath ,
overall not a pleasant experiance.

Room Tip: sorry i wouldnt no as i found the building quite poor and in need of restoration
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Derbyshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Filled with such history our room was fantastic, so much atmosphere from the moment we walked in.
I am a huge fan of the Tudors so to stay here was a real treat.
However, some areas around the spa especially a fan/extractor near the pool were so filthy and had not been cleaned for a long time and some of the areas were very jaded and dirty especially on the corridors to the spa.
Our meal on the Sunday night was nice but expensive for what it was.
The cutlery was dirty and there was broken glass all around the table, in fact generally unclean.
Come on guys could be awesome and Henry would have had your head off in a flash for this sort of tardiness.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear heyjude999,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Manor House Hotel.

May I first apologise that during your visit the spa and health club areas were looking tired and the extractor fans were looking a little dirty. It is only with guest feedback that we can aim to improve our business, and these problems have been sorted out, and some areas have seen a refurbishment.

I also apologise for the broken glass in the restaurant, I have spoken with the Restaurant manager to ensure this does not happen again, this is not a standard that we do accept at The Manor House Hotel, and procedures have been enforced with all staff.

James Hart

Been to Manor House Hotel? Share your experiences!