“lunch,spa,dinner,bed and breakfast !” 4 of 5 stars

Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Headlam DL2 3HA, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Headlam
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
“lunch,spa,dinner,bed and breakfast !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I was at Headlam Hall with 8 friends (all women) . We arrived at lunch time, the food was lovely, not big portions but enough to enjoy.
We had the use of the spa for the afternoon. The swimming pool is lovely , sauna too, but the best was the outdoor jacuzzi, even though it was windy and raining.
My room was Holly in the coach house. It had a double bed and a single. The room was lovely though one window looked out upon a roof and the other looked over to the side of the spa building. That did not bother me , it was dark and I closed the curtains.The shower was great.
We went for our evening meal which was lovely in the Olive room.
We then went to sit in front of a roaring log fire to have a couple of drinks.
I went up to my bed and was woken up at 5.30 a.m. by the air conditioning unit which was bolted on to my bedroom wall. It vibrated and buzzed I reported it in the feed back form.
Appart from the rude awakening, I cannot find fault with the Hotel, spa , food service and building. I would love to go back ! I could get used to a life like that !!!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper do not get the Holly room in the coach house.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
TGJR, Owner at Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. Apologies for the noise from the a/c unit and we will look into this problem. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

On arrival we were greeted by first class service from the porter and receptionist. Our room was clean, warm and the view from the window was superb. The food was most enjoyable and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The grounds are beautifully kept and a joy to walk round especially as the sun shone all weekend for us. Although the hotel is quite a way out of Darlington we were always able to book a taxi at reception to take us out and about.
The only downside of the room was a very small bathroom.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
TGJR, Owner at Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Your kind comments are much appreciated and I am delighted to hear that you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us. Please do come again soon.
Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Have just returned from a night at headlam hall and I must say I was very impressed.The staff were really friendly ,the service was so efficient, and food wonderful, all the little extras really made a difference,a selection of various homemade breads ,soup to start and sorbet In between
courses.
We had a room above the spa which had wonderful views but unfortunately the outdoor jacuzzi was right below our balcony which was really noisy when occupied as door wasn't very soundproofed or insulated so had to listen to every conversation,room was lovely but wouldn't choose this room again.
Apart from this can't wait to go back soon

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
TGJR, Owner at Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I note your comments about the proximity of the spa bedrooms to the outdoor hot tub but this has not previously been raised as a concern. Perhaps there were some particularly loud talkers on that occasion? Never-the-less, we will look into this.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Having seen earlier reviews I booked a sunday lunch as I was staying nearby. The greeting was friendly and as warm as the lovely pre lunch lounge--where I could relax with a drink pre meal. The receptionist left me with a menu and asked me when I would like to eat and she then duly came promptly on time to escort me to the dining room. This was a small intimate room with just 4/5 other tables, ideal for myself --a lone diner . The menu choice was good for a sunday lunch and both the smoked salmon starter and the main of lamb were superb. The hotel itself is a beautiful old manor house and the ambience is superb,I will return to stay and hopefully try the golf course and spa when next in Durham,and eat in the Conservatory/orangery area!
The "soft" piano music played beautifully by the lady in the lounge was an added bonus--much appreciated.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch experience as well as the old world ambience of the Hall. We hope to welcome you for a break at some time in the future and thank you for your comments.
County Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night for our wedding anniversary, checked in without issue , stayed in "old part" of Manor as advised by previous reviewer as supposed to have more character , could not have been more disappointed with room !!! For £150 absolute rip off !!! Average to say the least !!! The evening meal was expensive, good quality, but limited choice, nice ambience . Overheard other people saying they were on some sort of "deal" where meals were included, this would be the only way to stay at this hotel as paying full price is a HUGE disappointment Never again !!!

• Stayed November 2013
TGJR, Owner at Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
I am pleased that you enjoyed the ambiance and food but sorry to read that the bedroom was not to your liking. I have just inspected this particular room and it is unclear to me as to why you were disappointed. I assume it is a matter of personal taste as we have received recent compliments on this room from other guests.
Cumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Headlam hall for three nights.

First day arrival was to the pleasure of the Sunday lunch which we had pre booked for that lunchtime. The Sunday roast was really nice and good portions.

During the stay we enjoyed the Spa facilities, with my wife also experiencing a massage treatment. The gym and pool are top quality and the outdoor hydrotherapy pool was especially nice. I also used the gym which has a nice selection of modern tread mills, cycling machines and other fitness items.

The gardens are nice to walk around and are well kept, which will obviously be used more in the summer and for wedding photos.

Evening meals in the restaurant where a delight to enjoy, and the staff were willing to adjust the menu removing or adjusting the menu slightly for some personal preferences such as removal of prawns. The quality of the meals was excellent throughout our stay. We also enjoyed a afternoon tea which is a delight in the surroundings with a nice selections of sandwiches and cakes.

We stayed in the main hall in a four poster room, Floral room, which also had the extra benefit of having a second room included in the price. The room felt part of an old hotel, with some parts feeling a little tired, and others feeling a bit historic and special. Both balanced each other perfectly and the room felt comfortable, clean and a bit special.

As well as the hotel they have a nice pamphlet for short walks from the hotel, which we did use. A golf course which we didn’t use and some other facilities.

Such a great value hotel for the quality of food and the staff friendliness is a pleasure and makes the stay that bit nicer.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TGJR, Owner at Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Many thanks for your kind review and I am pleased that you managed to experience most of the elements that makes Headlam Hall what it is and enjoyed the historic feel. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here quite a few times and each time receive a warm welcome. The rooms are clean and the rooms in the main building have lots of character. the food in the restaurant is excellent, and they always try to put our party in a smaller private area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
TGJR, Owner at Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for your review and it is always nice to hear good comments from a regular visitor. Please do come back again soon.

Been to Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf? Share your experiences!