“Fantastic spa break - pure indulgence” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Headlam DL2 3HA, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Headlam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Fantastic spa break - pure indulgence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were lucky enough to be given a residential spa stay as a gift and had an incredible time. I have stayed and/or eaten at Headlam on other occasions but this was our first time using the spa facilities.
We were greeted at 10am on Good Friday morning by a lovely lady whose name I missed unfortunately. Our room was available which was a bonus and what a lovely room it was, very comfortable and spotlessly clean, we changed into dressing gowns and popped back downstairs to have coffee and bacon sandwiches which were lovely. The layout of the spa is excellent, separated from the main hall and designed in such a way that you can come and go up one flight to your room as you please, have your lunch in the spa brasserie and attend your treatments all without leaving the decadent comfort of your waffle robe! A locker is provided with additional robe towels and slippers and an efficient welcome note informing you of your per booked treatment times. The outdoor jacuzzi is small but wonderful on a frosty morning which it was, the steam and sauna were lovely as was the pool. The whole place is calm, serene and nothing is a problem for the excellent staff.
Our facial and back massages were gorgeous and the whole day was enforced rest for us, telephone signal is poor which was a plus! ( though free wifi was excellent).
Our pre ordered lunch was excellent and again the staff very helpful.
In the evening we dressed and went for dinner in the main restaurant, the roaring fires and atmosphere in the old hall are great, the food was exceptional and the service and staff all very good, Sam is a real asset, she happily made menu recommendations which were very much enjoyed and without exception the staff are happy in their work, smiling and attentive.
After a very peaceful nights sleep ( regardless that a wedding party was taking place) we enjoyed a lovely breakfast and left vowing to treat ourselves to this again as soon as possible.
Simply couldn't fault it!

Room Tip: Spa rooms lovely and peacefully separate from main hall
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TGJR, Owner at Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your spa break at Headlam and I agree that a frosty morning in the outdoor hot tub is a great start to the day! The team always appreciate positive feedback and we hope to see you again soon. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We have just come back from a 3 night stay, and thought it was a relaxing place. We opted for the Spring Revival offer in one of their Premier suites, and got the Virginia in the spa. It was very spacious and comfortable. Our son joined us on the 3rd night, so the sofa bed was set up for him.

The staff were very friendly and always had a smile on their faces. They always helped with any requests we made. Room service menu was better than most other hotels too.

Food was very nice, and the main meal was always very filling. As we were there for 3 nights, the menu lacked a lot of choice. Only 5 choices per course, plus a special. Presentation was excellent too. We had lunch in the Brasserie in the spa, and again food was very nice and thought the prices were quite reasonable.

The spa was lovely although only had six loungers, so may find you luck out if it is busy. We managed to get two so was happy. I wished I pre-booked a spa treatment before we got there, as they had no spaces available.

Slight issues

- Our suite faced the main car-park, and windows could do with being more sound proofed, as we could hear a lot of outside noise on the Sunday. So spoilt our afternoon nap.

- Hot water was an issue on the 1st night, as I went to run a bath at 5pm and it was only warm. I was told that they have a water tank rather than on demand, so during peak times hot water does run out.

- Service in the restaurant was great on the 1st night, we got olives and nuts when we placed our order. However they were not offered again on the 2nd/3rd nights. The 3rd night was very busy, and as we had our son with us we dined at 6:30, but because of the wait between courses we didn't finish until gone 8:30. Whereas the previous nights we were done within an hour. Our plates were not cleared for nearly 30 min.

-My son who is nearly 5 was only allowed to use the pool between 8-9am and 4-5:30pm. I understand why it is restricted, but thought the times could be lengthened a little.

Over all we had a relaxing stay, and would go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Virginia Suite is very spacious and bright.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I love this place. I've been 3 times now and stayed in both the main hotel and the spa rooms. I personally prefer the spa rooms as they are more modern but that's personal taste. The spa area is small but perfectly formed and the staff are amazing and service exceptional. There is a lovely mix of old and new with the main hotel being the old (with the exception of the resteraunt area) and the newer spa area. The bar area with its open fire and comfy seating is the place to be after your meal and the grounds and surrounding country side is a lovely place to walk in the summer. We have always took advantaged of DBB offers which are really good value for money with use of the spa included. Will definitely be back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review and I am pleased that you feel as though we are achieving the right balance between traditional and modern - it is not an easy balancing act! We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have visit this hotel on many occsions as it is close by and a lot of organisations I am involved with have used this hotel.

The Hotel is nice but everytime I come here something goes wrong. In fairness, the mature staff seem genuinely concerned and refunds proportionate to the problem have been offered. However, I'm just tired and now wait for the whats going to happen this time...every time I go here.

Firstly all of the staff are nice but some don't seem to have a clue they seem to be college students or just out of school and ask a question or if theres any sort of a problem and they don't have a clue.

I have been served wrong food, I have been forgotten and not called for dinner, I have had the waitresses hair in my food. I have asked for extra different vegetables and received a bowl of the same vegetables. I have been told the food comes with vegetables to find the tinest amount. I have been given the wrong information had food served to others then took off them and brought to my table..

I like fine dining but I would like to be able to stay in a hotel an be able to eat a nutitional meal. I have to say I couldn't do that here as I would not have enough vegetables and the clorific content addedsugar / butter etc would mean I just couldnt stay at this hotel and eat here every night. What is the point of looking at a meal with a tiny piece of fish on a bed of mash sprinkled with nice red bits and "jus" ..great it looks lovely but is it nutritionaly balanced and could you eat it every night if you stayed here.....?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed here in March for a friends wedding. As an one of the Ushers we arrived a day early and were able to take full advantage of the Spa facilities comprising of Swimming Pool, Sauna, Steam Room and an outside Hot Tub. As groomsmen we were able to spend the morning of the big day relaxing and drinking Champagne in the hot tub.

The superb remote location is the ideal setting for a wedding, the cosy intimate lay out of the house, from the drawing room with the log fire and board games to the quaint little bar room and the four poster beds each ensure you feel like the Lord/ Lady of the Manor.

The Manor and gardens create the perfect back drop for those magical shots on your big day.

Room Tip: Request a room in the main hall/ building.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My friend and I spent a day on 27th march in the spa.(£95) It was first class, we were warmly welcomed at reception with a coffee tray, then shown around. We were shown our lockers where a personalised letter greeted us with the days itinery also where our towels robes and slippers were We spent the morning taking advantage of the pool and steam room etc. The outside jaccuci is excellent, cold drinks were brought to us on request (via pnone) We went for lunch at 1.00 , the menu was varied and we very satisfied with our chioce. In the afternoon we went for our treatments, the experience was delightful, aroma,s soft relaxing music and dim lights I was not expecting the facial to be so thorough as it is only noted as being a facial wash. My therapist Carolyn was excellent. I felt also that it was excellent value for money, as with other spa,s I have been to, they were as good but were more
expensive. The drinks are not over priced either. It is not the biggest but is my favourite. Really enjoyed the day

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Had a full day here this week at the spa with my mum - we both absolutely loved it. The therapists were lovely and very professional. From our initial greeting into the spa to the time we went home we can't fault a thing. The spa facilities were just gorgeous and it really was a day of escapism and luxury. Our lunch was lovely and the robes; towels and slippers provided were of a high quality. I would definitely recommend this spa. The changing facilities were great and they had lockers waiting for our arrival with our treatment schedule in along with the robes etc which I thought was a lovely touch... even the £1 for the locker was already in there for our arrival. We had a superb time and will most certainly be returning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Headlam Hall Hotel Spa & Golf? Share your experiences!