“Fantastic food - dining clubs eat here !” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Aztec West, Almondsbury BS32 4TS, England   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Almondsbury
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food - dining clubs eat here !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

This hotel is located at the junction of the M4 and M5 on an industrial estate and may be too far out of Bristol for some. For the business traveller it is ideally located however be warned the main exit from the estate to rejoin the motorway can be chaos at rush hour. It's simply about timing. The hotel is spot on, clean rooms with a tv, desk, sofa and bath robe. The old style tv served its purpose but the trouser press was broken, together with the extractor fan in the bathroom. Good job I didn't need the miirror to style my hair, though there are three other mirrors in the room. The complimentary muslin sachets of coffee (quality touch) and herbal teas help you forget these small imperfections, The hotel has free wifi, gym, swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi and steam room ( lockers and towels are provided) it also has a solarium at extra cost. I ate in the restaurant with my four colleagues and the service can only be described as relaxed. This may have been due to the fact that the private dining room was occupied and took precedence, who knows ? The staff are helpful and the set menu is an absolute bargain. For less than £20.00 I had Fowey mussels to start, Monkfish with a sweet chilli sauce followed by summer pudding with clotted cream. Absolutely fantastic food and the price is unbelieveable for the quality of the food served up. The sliced lemon that accompanied the monkfish was wrapped in muslin to stop the pips spoiling your meal - a nice touch. Breakfast was the same the following morning but bizarrely enough it was much quicker. (The fruit porridge is excellent) The hotel was quiet at night but very busy during the day due to numerous courses/conferences taking place there. There is a charge of £3.00 for overnight parking which probably costs more to administer than it reaps so why do they bother ? All in all a top place to base yourself.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Cotswolds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

This by far the most comfortable hotel I've stayed at for a long time. It is a long way from the centre of Bristol, but very handy for the motorway network.
I stayed on a dinner B&B rate and although the food was top quality, on every single occasion the restaurant couldn't correctly work out the paperwork for the evening meal. The staff themselves were great and eventually it all ended well but why make such an easy thing so problematic?
A nice touch was a small complimentary bottle of mineral water and fresh milk in the room fridge each day, so much nicer then those nasty plastic pots of UHT milk other hotels provide, small things like that really do make a difference and will influence where I will book next time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Surrey, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

We went for the 'girls night in package' at the Aztec and it was excellent! This hotel is a little way out of Bristol if you want to sight see but easy it has access for the motorway. It was easy to park though I think they charge for parking in the week. We were greeted by some very friendly reception staff who organised our rooms -3 for 5 of us ( one large suite and 2 twins), when we would like our tapas delivered to the room and what dvds we would like to watch. Our rooms were very comfortable with everything we needed. We hopped into the fluffy robes straight to the swimming pool and jaccuzzi. Sat around the pool afterwards drinking tea (provided) and reading the newspaper. The tapas were delicious and there was plenty of it, ice cream and pop corn followed. Room service was excellent. Breakfast was very tasty and fresh with options you could order seperately from the normal cooked breakfast. Again the service was excellent and we noted they catered for milk and gluten allergies. One of our party used the spa and again there was nothing but praise for the treatment.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
ShireHotels, General Manager at Bristol Aztec Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2010
Thank you for your comments about your Girl’s Night In – it’s a really popular one and I’m pleased to hear you all enjoyed your time with us.

Hope we’ll see you all back again soon.

Chris Hill
Cornwall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

I have reviewed this hotel many times and each time I try to look at it as if it was my first visit.
I have noticed that the rooms have varying standard. For example the room I had last week was well located insofar as it was quiet. However on a thorough inspection it clearly needed a deep clean. The windows have these wooden blinds which rarely get lifted. I lifted mine to let more light in and was surprised at the amount of dust/cobwebs behind it, same goes for sofas etc.
Same goes for food, I had 2 nights in, bar food on first night was very average whereas the restaurant food on the second night was excellent. Breakfasts are too repetitive and as I know there are so many regular travellers they ought to give it some variety.
All that said staff are polite and appear to be trying hard to please. I will keep using this hotel as it is by far the best in this area...come on Aztec give the place a good clean!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

The hotel was really welcoming - all staff were very friendly, and it felt very homely yet was stylish and well decorated. The food was excellent (albeit we only ate breakfast) but the hot breakfast was delicious and there was plenty for little ones. The staff were lovely with our little boy, and our room was spacious and had lovely touches - big fluffy robes, fresh milk for tea and coffee, complimentary water etc.
The pool was really nice, and not busy each time we went. I had a pedicure in the spa with Felicity who was lovely, and the pedicure was really good.
The location was ideal for us - straight off the motorway - but would have not been good had we wanted a holiday in central Bristol with nightlife, but we wanted a quiet retreat. We were handy for the Mall and Cribbs Causeway.
We definitely want to return to this hotel, and to explore the other hotels in the chain.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Chelmsford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

I stayed at the Aztec for two weeks, whilst working away at my company's Bristol office. The location was perfect because the office was a stones throw away from the Aztec West business park.

My first week there truly did exceed my expectations, which is why I booked the same hotel for my second weeks stay. The rooms are modern, clean and comfortable - the bathrooms high quality finish. The little extras are great - selection of drinks in the room, bottled water, toiletries, fluffy bath robe to use etc Everything you would expect from a top hotel.

The pool looked fantastic and was very popular although I didn't use it myself. I think they also have a good gym if you like a workout.

The bar was a friendly and lively place to eat if you don't want to eat in the restaurant which is more formal. Although I was staying there alone I felt comfortable in both the restaurant and bar. The food was really good, I only had one poor meal in the eight that I had there (which they rectified straight away when I commented on it). However, they were not the healthiest of meals - they had a pie of the day (the pork & onion pie I tried was fab). The rest of the menu was limited for those of us on strict diets - they really need more fish and chicken on the menu! But other than that, it was all good - especially the minute steak in the baguette. :-) Portions are very generous (I never managed more than a main meal) and they give you olives while you wait for your meal. Although I didn't have to wait longer than 5 mins for any of my courses - which really impresed me!!

Breakfast in the restaurant can be a bit fussy because it is waiter service, which can be a bit slow sometimes, especially if you are in a rush. Personally I would have preferred a self service breakfast but I suppose they do like to offer the pampered approach.

The staff in the hotel are lovely. The receptionist was really friendly and chatty when I booked in. The porter was great too. The girl that served me in the bar always went out of her way to help. And some of the young waiters really did offer silver service.

I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again. I've stayed in the Hilton before, which is nearby, and that was not a patch on this hotel. So book yourself a stay there - just don't book the weeks I want to stay there!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

We've been to Aztec on three or four occasions over the past four years with out teenage daughter on a dinner bed and breakfast basis to just spend the day in the hotel completely relaxing - using the pool and spa, enjoying a sumptious buffet breakfast and lazing about with the papers and coffee. The staff are very natural and freindly. The interior combines stylish modern with attractive botanical prints and reproduction paintings along its corridors. There is a good menu for the evening meal and we have always enjoyed the food and ambience. If you want to stop the world and look inward for a day, this is a good place to do it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Bristol Aztec Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!