“Amazing - must visit” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: We have been consistently listed in Good Food guides and continue to offer our own unique style of good honest pub food as well as a selection of freshly cooked dishes to cater for most tastes. We offer a superb lunchtime menu & Sunday lunch as well as extensive evening menus with a selection of daily specials and waitress service. Whenever possible, Kevin, the Landlord, prepares all of our dishes from fresh local Kentish produce.
“Amazing - must visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I took my partner here for his birthday; we are both into historic buildings and this being a beautiful historic pub I decided to take a trip there!! We walked in to a beautiful warm fire lite atmosphere and the landlady was very welcoming!! We went at 12.30 for lunch and it was quite and relaxed!! I had the steak and my partner he has the steak and ale pie! The food was amazing and the quality of the meat was outstanding!!! It's very rare to find good quality meat and home made pies and this we had! We were very impressed with the food and service and have decided we will be returning to try more of the food!! We sat by the fire enjoyed the building it's self and had a relaxed lunch next to the roaring fire!! Love this place and will be sure to return in many more occasions! I'm VERY DISAPPOINTED to see bad reviews and cannot understand why!! Over priced?? You pay for quality and we most certainly had quality!! The landlady ought to be very proud of her beautiful pub and amazing food!!! The local area was lovely also! Of I didn't have to collect my daughther from school I would have say there all day! Amazing!!!!! Please try out!!!!! Highly recommended!!! :-)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Borden, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, warm and cosy surroundings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Living locally, we had not been to this pub before, despite hearing good things from friends. We took advantage of a Groupon deal for the 2 Rib Eye Steak meals, however our voucher had expired but they extended it for us.

On arrival, we found a beautiful old English country pub with a welcoming fire burning, highlighting the stunning carved interior wood. We had a lovely welcome and sat opposite the wood burner.

Despite the voucher being for rib eye steak, they allowed us to take advantage of the lovely choice of pies on offer, such as lamb and apricot. Our food was outstanding, hot, tasty and served in a timely manner. The menu also had lots of other choices.

Our choice of food was served with vegetables cooked to perfection. All the tables had a lit candle, which just added to the atmosphere.

The desert menu has a wide range of traditional English deserts, including some lesser seen options such as the Olde English Fruit Pudding. Our deserts were cooked to perfection and very enjoyable.

We ended our visit with some delicious coffee and will have no hesitation in returning in the future to make the most of our loyalty voucher, which came with the bill.

The service we experienced was excellent and if you're looking for a quintessential old English pub, then this can't be beaten.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
christina872, Owner at The Ringlestone Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
hello thank you for taking the time for doing a lovely review i am glad that you loved the pies and everything about the pub even down to the lovely fire which does add to the ambience of the restaurant.i hope that we will see you and that you will use your loyalty voucher as well which is a great saving as well.im glad that you came in and made up your own mind about us because of the mixed reviews on here which are not always fair and correct bye for now ....christina
Meopham, United Kingdom
“badger meopham”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have never written a review before, but I feel obliged to do so today. We had a groupon voucher for rib-eye steak for two which was good value. When I tried to book, I had left it rather late, but the owner kindly said that she would honour it two days after the expiry date. I was most appreciative, and went last night.
My wife and I had two superb plasses of Pimms, and ordered our steaks 'medium'.
Unfortunately, when they arrived, both steaks had an unhealthy brown hue, and when I started to cut it mine it was so tough and dry, that I suspect that it might have been par-cooked before, and had certainly not been left for 10 minutes after cooking, as it should be. My wife's meat was even tougher.
When the waitress asked how the meal was, we told her, and she said that she would inform the chef. His response was to send her back with two large steak knives. I asked her if it was the normal chef , and she replied that it was, and that he had been there for a couple of months.
There was very little offer of an apology, and at no time did the chef come out to handle our complaint. We were offered no alternatives, but we were given a loyalty voucher with our bill, which expires on 1/10/2013,
I don't think that we shall be using it.
One more thing. The normal menu prices are horrendously expensive, compared to the normal
michelin starred and AA rosette restaurants that we often visit.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
christina872, Manager at The Ringlestone Inn, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
hello thank you for taking the time to write a review im glad you enjoyed your pimms with fresh fruit as it should be.i do not understand what you are saying about the steaks that you ate and we did offer to cook your steaks again for you when you left you decided to tell our new customers not to have the steaks when they turned up.i went myself to see our customers and i told them there is nothing wrong with the steaks and that they should try them they did and they loved them they ate every morsel of there meat there was nothing wrong with our steaks and if there was then i would have changed them without question thank you
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
“Unwelcoming with disappointing dinner”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This really old pretty pub has lots of potential but the evening was a disappointment. Lots of things going for it e.g. log fire, good car park, history. However, the welcome was non-existent and even when we gave the waitress a 10% tip she didn't face us to say thank you. We had a pie each and we both agreed that they were lovely, but the pies were spoilt by the vegetables. The carrots were nearly raw and the broccolli was so old that it was white in places and brown on the stem. My jacket pot was only just hot enough and had a soggy skin. So when the menu say 'seasonal vegetables' this means 'inedible vegetables'. We told the waitress who said that she would tell the kitchen but that was the last we heard of it. In the past if we have ever made a negative comment, which is extremely rare, the waitress would come back to the table and give the chef's apologies/explanation with an offer of e.g. complimentary coffee. We have a Gourmet Society Card so the deal was 2 for 1 on dinners. If we had been expected to pay full price we would have made a formal complaint and wanted a refund.

The final bill was £22.50 for basically one pie, one spritzer, one red wine and one lime/lemonade. The drinks were nice.

Let's hope that this poor experience was a one off but we will not return.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
christina872, Manager at The Ringlestone Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant.
I do apologise for your disappointment with your food and the service, and I will ensure this gets passed onto the team as we are always wanting to improve our service.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“overpriced and underwhelmed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Having seen the sign for this pub several times I thought that it was about time to give it a visit ......I honestly wished that I hadn't bothered ! The pub was virtually empty on arrival at 8:15 pm ,there were signs everywhere advertising many staff vacancies ( never a good sign in a small pub !) Our party of four were given a seat in an empty restaurant,there were candles on the table but no attempt was made to light them to provide an atmosphere. Menus were given to us I noticed that the starters were quite expensive but sometimes this is the practice when meals were reasonably priced .......not here though! They claimed that their " famous pies " were a must! Well sorry love but I must disappoint you they are in no way, shape or form worthy of that accolade unless it famously expensive! As northerners my partner and I have partaken of a few pies but £14 for what amounted to 2 or 3 spoonfuls of admittedly decent meat and a pastry top was highway robbery.......and before you come out with your usual reply about location and local produce that's all old hat I've been to pubs that are really really remote and who use local produce who have provided much more reasonable fare at a decent price.......and that service charge on the bill ,yes as you've mentioned many times you don't have to pay it. Well don't put it on !! It a nerve ...if your food is good, reasonably priced and served with charm and character people will tip willingly....

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
christina872, Manager at The Ringlestone Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2013