“1970's Chinese Take-away” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Kent, Washington
“1970's Chinese Take-away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We ordered a take-away from here, to be honest having read the reviews on trip advisor I was intrigued as the menu read like a bog standard English Chinese take-away and unfortunately that's exactly what it was, though probably not that good.

If you like a 1970's Chinese take-away, then good luck, if you have read these reviews and are looking for good Chinese food then avoid.

Ashford, United Kingdom
“FINE REPUTATION FOR GOOD CHINESE NOSH”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Do ignore the photograph above, but at the time of this review it was NOT The Golden Wye but elsewhere. However, DO take note that this restaurant/ takeaway has been serving the local and wider community for many years, during which time it has established an enviable reputation for good, freshly cooked, tasty Chinese cuisine, served with much charm and friendliness, with good timing and at very competitive prices.

We have takeaway usually every week, and have done so for over 20 years, but still look forward to the next one. During this time we have not had a single bad meal. We are so lucky to have this gem within our village.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Not happy!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Have been a customer of theirs for years and have always enjoyed the food, until I collected the takeaway order and got home to find its was the wrong food not our order. So back in the car for a 10 minute car drive back, at once the lady behind the bar apologised for the incorrect order and took the wrong order away and explained the mix up with the order and asked for the extra £6.00 for the correct order, which I was not happy about as I have not made two trips to try to get dinner. The lady refused to budge on the £6.00 (we have been loyal customer for 8 years) so I paid up took my order only to find once I got home the food was STONE COLD it must have been sitting their the whole time. Hence we have not been back nor will we ever return they made have my £6.00 pounds but they will never get anymore of my custom.

Visited December 2012
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Highly rated...Highly dissapointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

On a visit to Wye, we came accross the Golden Wye restaurant. Showing my Chinese in-laws around Kent, I decided it may be a nice place to eat dinner - once I collect my wife from work. Having checked trip advisor's raving reviews for the restaurant, we were certain it would be enjoyable. Long story short: we wated 90 minutes for JUST 4 starters, service was slow, unattentive, whilst stating (in Mandarin and English) "sorry, we are really busy tonight." There were only two tables including ours at that time. We were given soups we did not order and we felt like they had forgotten us.
A party of nine (second table) had decided that the wait/service was enough, they all decided to up and leave, paying for their drinks as they too had just had 1 starter platter between 9. Likewise, we decided to end our visit to the Golden Wye (much to the visible annoyance of the manager...who eventually muttered a "sorry" when my wife and I explained the dire service and wait).
I appreciate the food would not be as god as in China (obviously) but the in-laws own restaurants in the PRC and were clueless about why we were made to wait in a seemingly empty restaurant, with no explaination or attempt to sugar-coat their shortcomings.

Don't go.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Another superb meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I can only say why can't other chinese restaurant be like Golden Wye in Wye, superb food cooked to perfection and the staff are so lovely, keep it up.

• Visited March 2013