“Consistently tasty fare” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Consistently tasty fare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have been a customer of this establishment many, many times over the past six years, and in that time I have come to expect an invariably pleasant culinary experience.

The choice of dishes changes weekly and there is always something to suit most tastes. The food itself is always cooked with care and is far from run of the mill, the chef being as good as any (probably the best) in the area.

Furthermore, It is quite noticeable that it is not just myself that returns again and again to eat here. Yes, there are other establishments to choose from, but, it seems I am not the only one that keeps coming back to this one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We were looking on Friday for a room for the Saturday night near the North Norfolk coast. The Plough Inn was one of the few places we could find available at such short notice, and the nearest to the coast that we could find. We did not want to pay £110 for bed and breakfast but the place looked OK from what we could see on the web and we were in a hurry so we booked it.
The room we were given was room 5, a family suite containing a double room and a single room. The rooms were clean and comfortable, though not large. The bathroom was fine, with a shower that worked well.
The evening meal was excellent; well above average and fairly-priced.
Breakfast was also very good, although it was a shame there was no yogurt available.
Overall we had a very pleasant overnight stay and would recommend the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

i do read the reviews on this site but always like to try out local places and restaurants just in case the reviews are a bit off the mark. not this time!! completely agree with previous food reviews.
nothing special, over priced and service-so so!!
i could go on about what we ate but i think if you look about there are better places in the area to eat. we shall not be returning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I have written about the Plough before and given it a very good write up. Last night however we went for a third time for dinner. We rang first to ask what time they started serving food and were told 6pm so we booked a table for 6pm. we selected our choice from the specials board. My husband had Ballentine of chicken wrapped in bacon and stuffed with sausage meat and thyme with saute potatoes. I ordered duck with orange sauce. When the middle aged waitress came to take the order I was slightly undecided between the chicken and the duck. She said we only have 2 duck left so be quick. I ordered duck and asked for it to be 'not pink'. It arrived perfectly cooked. It came on a small bed of red cabbage with 3 hassleback new potatoes. A few veg would have been nice but it was delicious. We asked for the pudding menu and were a little disappointed that it was the same as last time we went. We both ordered chocolate trio and were told they only had one left. How come when we were there on the dot of opening. Made me feel they just wanted to get rid of left overs. The chocolate trio was very disappointing. 3 very small over frozen things looked up at me. the orange choc ice I had to hold with my fingers and stab it with my spoon to break it. The pastry thing with half a strawberry on it tasted hard and stale. Having eaten the previous night at the Marsh Harrier where they do a fantastic chocolate trio, what I was given here was not nice. The waitress could have smiled too. We felt like an inconvienience. We shall not go back in a hurry.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ploughinnmarsham, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to leave feedback following your recent visit. I do remember you and read your kind review following your visit in March this year.

Our head chef changes his specials board at least once a week and because the dishes are not set menu items we do sometimes sell out - even at the start of service - as we only order enough for a limited number of portions from our butcher or fishmonger.

Desserts are freshly made at The Plough every week and the trio of chocolate was a new dessert made for the first time the week of your visit, it had been really popular with our customers and I am really sorry you did not enjoy yours. Ensuring good customer service is really important to us and I am sorry for the way you felt about the service you received. I won't offer excuses but do hope that you will visit us again and give us the opportunity to put things right.

Kind regards
Val Stock
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Booked a double and got there to discover that the owners had "messed up" (their words) the booking and I had a twin room. This didn't seem too much of a problem, just incompetence, and I didn't have much option as I was attending an event nearby so had to go ahead with the room they had allocated for me. They kindly provided a bottle of wine by way of compensation, but unfortunately this proved to be rather inadequate after one of the most uncomfortable nights I can remember. The beds were so uncomfortable that I took the trouble of looking at the make of mattress to ensure I never buy one of them! The shower was a challenge. It was either off, freezing cold, or scalding hot. However,o the plus side the owners were pleasant, breakfast was acceptably average, everything was very clean and the pub very nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Grimsby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights. Friendly, welcoming greeting on arrival. Lovely cosy & clean rooms - very nicely decorated. Excellent breakfast. Also excellent meals available in the restaurant. The bar area very welcoming & cosy. The owners and staff are all very friendly & do everything they can to make stay enjoyable. This is a very good central location for the Norfolk coast ie Sheringham & Cromer yet also very near to Norwich & the Norfolk Broads are very accessible Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: 3 adults booked as one family room, however even better when we arrived because there were 2 bedroom...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Rooms are spotlessly clean but a bit on the small side, especially room 12 which is really tiny and we refused to stay in it. We were expecting something peaceful and classy for nearly £100 per night but ended up quite disappointed by the fairly bland smallish rooms. The radio & extractor fan noises penetrating through the floor from the kitchens below didn’t do much to add to a peaceful stay, the kitchen started at 8am till roughly 9.30pm with a few spells of bowls being loudly clattered about for good measure in the evening. So all in all this was not what you would call a restful or peaceful stay. On the plus side the beds are really comfy and bathrooms are a good size the staff are very nice and the breakfast was fine .

The food was overpriced and nothing special, basically expensive pub grub. Unfortunately I had the steak & kidney pie which I had to send back as it was so over cooked and dry I could have banged nails in with it, which was a shame as it was my wife’s birthday, she had the cod & chips and she either had to wait and let hers go cold so we could eat together or carry on eating hers and then sit and watch me eat mine. I think I can honestly say with hand on heart that my meal was the worst thing I’ve ever been dished up in my life.

Room Tip: don't choose room 1 as far to noisy , room 12 is far to small and only has a shower, room 7 has...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Plough Inn? Share your experiences!