“good food, good atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

The Plough Inn
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Norwich Road, Marsham NR10 5PS, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marsham
Norwich, United Kingdom
“good food, good atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

This was the third time we have been here. The first was for a warm salad lunch last summer which was good so we came back for dinner a few weeks later and both had the chef's signature dish of slow roasted pork with crackling. This was on the menu again on this visit last week with the comment ' Our customers won't let us take this off the menu' I can understand why as it is delicious. This time we both opted for Gressingham duck on a leek and potato cake in a red wine sauce. As neither of us is a lover of very 'pink'meat we asked if we could have it cooked a bit more when we ordered . The chef obliged and it was perfect. It was served with fresh veg. Delicious. Somehow we found room for puddings and I had meringue with vanilla ice cream and hot toffee sauce. Yummy! I could have eaten two! My husband had hot chocolate and black cherry pudding which he said was like hot black forest gateau which he loved.. I would rate this as one of my favourite local places to eat and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Book first
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
beccles, suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights. Room including bathroom/shower was newly decorated fresh and clean. Hosts very friendly and the staff polite. The food was very good with a good choice from the menu. Our room was a twin and quiet with comfortable beds. Would have no complaints about staying here again

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Worthing, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

I rarely find a place where everything is done to a really good standard but that's what I found at the Plough. There really isn't anything to complain about.

The room was freshly decorated and spotlessly clean. The shower worked well (a place where many hotels appear to fail), comfortable bed, nice TV, good tea and coffee facilities. I like having a clock radio to wake me gently in the morning.

The room remained warm all night despite the snow trying to fall outside.

All followed up by a delicious and well cooked breakfast.

Complaints - well - no bourbon biscuits but as you can see I'm getting picky now!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

This was our third time of eating at the Plough on Christmas Day, think that says it all. Its a warm, friendly welcoming pub/hotel and the food as always was delicious. We couldnt eat anything else all day as we over indulged on their fayre. Val, Roger and Staff are wonderful and nothing is too much trouble, always on hand if needed. I cannot comment on the Hotel side of the Plough as we have never needed to stay living so close. Highly recommend for the food though.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011 via mobile

Stayed for a couple of days good food and good service at a great price

• Stayed November 2011
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Stopped off here on business whilst in the area. Had a wonderful meal and the service was first class. Thank You

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Used Trip Advisor ratings to book this hotel and booked one night for business. Almost immediatly I needed to book a second night. Towards the end of my 3 hour car journey from London, Val the Landlady rang to check about my arrival and confirm the two nights. She asked if I wanted a meal as my arrival was due just after 9pm. Although the kitchen was due to close at 9pm that night Val said I could order and the the Chef would stay. I'd had such a hectic day - if Val hadn't have rung me I wouldn't have thought about food until I arrived and could have missed out!

I had the most succulant sirloin with a nice glass of chilled wine. Barman was friendly. Staff very accomodating.

Spacious bedroom to the rear of the building so quiet and very warm. Although wireless available in the rooms had to use laptop downstairs the following day.

English Breakfasts very tasty, not greasy - and well presented. Kippers avaiiable too!

Second night - ate in the restaurant. Interesting and diverse menu - had the Chef's Signature dish - Double Cheese Souffle (I think it was called) which was fabuous followed by herb crusted salmon. Again restaurant staff very friendly but discreet.

Would visit again.

Room Tip: If you need WiFi let the Plough know beforehand to make sure your room can access the signal.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Plough Inn? Share your experiences!