“Great venue but.......” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Matfen Hall

You added Matfen Hall to your Saves list
Matfen Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Matfen, near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Matfen NE20 0RH, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Upton, United Kingdom
“Great venue but.......”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely venue but the water supply went wrong to the hotel leaving us with no water in the room in the morning. I appreciate that this can happen but to then still expect guests to stump up full price is a bit off. The 3 hour drive home wasn't the most pleasant I've done!

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Matfen Hall is very relaxing place to stay. Service is unobtrusive but efficient. Food is superb, well cooked and beautifully presented. Obviously use good quality ingredients. Easy to reach sites on the Roman Wall and local National Trust properties.

Jarrow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

First time at maften and it won't be our last, lovely hotel with fantastic grounds and lovely staff who work there, have to say a thank to Mathew who showed me and my wife around the wedding area even though he was busy doing other jobs. We upgraded to the library restaurant for our evening meal and have to say it was the best 3 course meal that we have had the quality of the food was second to none can't wait to return in the near future

Selby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We had a two night stay here recently and booked via the Secret Escapes website. Whilst our room was quite small compared to some that we saw, it was nevertheless a nice well equipped room with a good quality bed. The bathroom had seen better days but somehow managed to blend in with the overall quirky atmosphere of the place. Be aware that if you booked into room 15 as we were it is a very long walk from Reception.
We ate in the main restaurant on both evenings and were impressed with the quality of the food.
We also managed to take advantage of the driving range during our stay and I was lucky enough to get a cancellation in the spa. The facial I had was one of the best I have ever had and I was floating afterwards!
Service was excellent in all areas of the hotel.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough and I hope that we will return again soon.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Nice hotel set in stunning grounds, well worth a visit. The spa is fantastic and good service throughout the hotel. Ate in the golf club lounge, lovely food and reasonable priced. Breakfast was also good and speedy service.

Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Used to work here when it was a Cheshire Home in the '60's. Staff were wonderful, they gave me my old room to stay in, what a difference!
The hotel is absolutely beautiful, the surroundings are beautiful and the staff were the nicest and friendliest I have met in any hotel around the world.
We had fish and chips and dessert in the Conservatory, great!
Would recommend highly to anyone and challenge anyone to find fault.
My thanks to Louise and Mark, just two of the staff who put themselves out during our stay.

Room Tip: Relaxing and very comfortable break. We stayed in room 4 which had the best views of the grounds an...
Stockton on Tees
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

When my daughter's hen weekend with friends was cancelled due to the air traffic controller's strike I phoned Maftfen Hall who were more than accommodating and extremely helpful. The group had a really good weekend, food was excellent, facilities very good and they praised the staff highly. Thank you for rescuing what could have been a very disappointing group. Needless to say my husband and I will be booking our own visit to the hotel soon.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!