“40TH BIRTHDAY PRESENT.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Matfen Hall

You added Matfen Hall to your Saves list
Matfen Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Matfen, near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Matfen NE20 0RH, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Matfen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“40TH BIRTHDAY PRESENT.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed here on Friday 25.01.2013 for one night Dinner Bed and Breakfast.
Check in was really good arrived early at 1-30pm our room was available so they checked us in straight away which was really good the room was lovley and had a great view of Matfen.
Ventured out in the snow and visited the local brewery at High House Farm only a few minutes drive away being a real ale fan this was like heaven to me.
The room was very hot but the climate control did not seem to work so even in -4 degrees and about 6 inches of snow opened the door to the balcony and left it open for some time.
Dinner was booked for 8pm so went down for 7-45 they took our food and wine order but did not bring our wine to our table in the lounge we sat down for dinner at 8-35 and dinner did not get served until 9pm so we waited for an hour and they did not even apologise.
When dinner did arrive is was excellent probably the best three course meal that I have had.
Slept well and went down in the morning for a nice breakfast.
All in all really enjoyed my stay here but the service lets it down.
Very expensive would try else where next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your one night dinner, bed & breakfast stay with us. I am sorry of the problems you had with the heating in your room. Unfortunately, we were experiencing problems with the heating system, which has now been rectified.

I also apologise for the slow service you received during dinner, but thank you for your kind words regarding your meal, which I will ensure are passed through to my Head Chef and his team.

I do hope you will visit us again in the future.

Matfen Hall Hotel Golf & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Took my Girlfriend here for her 22nd birthday and upgraded to the 'deluxe style room'. In all honesty, for £230.00 a night, I was expecting full blown refinement and at least something to blow me and my partner away a little, but, I guess it was just average, what you'd expect if i'd have paid about £90.00 or so.
Spa facilities where second to non, no criticisms there. Treatments on offer are great and prices are reasonable.
As for the evening meal, well, it's a little ropey to be honest, we seemed to find that it was either dine in the 'Restaurant' or... nothing. The keepers lodge is essentially like a Cafe, the conservatory was adequate for an evening meal but lacks in a massive amount of potential. The menu for the 'restaurant' is released upon arrival in the evening, so this completely ruled out my partners dietary requirements let alone if there was even going to be something nice on there.
The cooked breakfast was very nice indeed and there was a good selection of pastries and fruit available.

I'd visit this place again ONLY for the right price I feel i've paid for a visit here that wasn't up to the price tag, for one night, I feel incredibly let down, I could have been on a beach in spain for a few days for what I paid for a room!

Room Tip: Rooms on front, 'Style deluxe rooms' are average, don't go expecting the world for upgra...
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall.

We have three very different menus on offer, which we find accommodates most people’s requirements and we always cater for any special dietary needs and do so on a daily basis. Thank you for your comments regarding your breakfast.

I am sorry that you felt let down with the standard of your room, rates can vary and are dictated by demand.

Once again, thank you for your comments and I do hope you will decide to return to Matfen Hall at some point in the future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Went to matfen hall for a night away from everyday life and it did not disappoint! ! The room was lovely, spacious, clean and luxury toiletries in the bathroom, The grounds are extensive and when we were there covered in snow, gorgeous!! Staff really friendly, helpful and made us feel really welcome. Food was truly delicious especially the mushroom soufflé starter! ! The falling snow and log fires provided perfect background for a winters night away, look forward to going back. Even managed trip to the gym which has excellent facilities.

Room Tip: Had standard room and it was lovely.
Dear Guest

It was lovely to read how much you enjoyed your recent stay at Matfen Hall – despite the snow!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Newcastle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed one night in January , Rooms are ok but nothing special , What needs adressing is the customer service , Waited 40 mins for a couple of beers before our evening meal , Had to keep asking for toast , tea and Coffee after it had been ordered at breakfast , Even at a discount the prices they charge to stop here is far to much , Save your money and go elsewhere .

Dear Guest

I am sorry you did not enjoy your recent stay at Matfen Hall and please accept my apologies for any problems you experienced with the customer service you received.

I shall certainly address the problems you mentioned internally with my management team, to ensure our usual high standards are maintained.

Once again, I am sorry you were disappointed.

Co Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night with girl friends on the deal from Secret Escapes which included DB&B. It was good value and the food was amazing. Rooms, I have to say, are very average with bathrooms in need of a refurbishment, towels and bed linen also worn and need replacing. That said I would revisit but only at a discounted cost. The odd niggle e.g. - ordered pre dinner drinks but we didn't get them until taken to our table. Worth a visit if on a deal but certainly not worth the full price on the hotel website.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
BernieBloodworth, General Manager at Matfen Hall, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Guest

Further to your review on our trip advisor website, I am sorry you felt disappointed with your bedrooms. We are currently in the process of changing laundries to ensure our quality of linen etc.. is to our usual high standard and we also have an ongoing refurbishment of bathrooms in place.

Thank you for your comments, I do appreciate all feedback and will use this constructively going forward.

Livingston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Arrived Saturday 26th January late afternoon ,
Check in at reception was efficient,
Room on the 1st floor in newer building , no view , window overlooked the roof of the Swimming pool but as we were only there for one night it didnt bother us , Room was cosy , Public areas in the rest of the Hotel were very cold , especially the dining room which was in the Library , it was freezing , sad to see the large Fire in the drawing room was just embers , we would have sat in there after our meal but it was too cold and went back to our room for a heat,
Service ok but not of 4 Star standard, we were offered bread to start but when my partners soup came there was no further offer of bread with his soup , food was good ,
Wouldnt rush back,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback, following your recent stay at Matfen Hall.

Unfortunately, we were experiencing problems with our heating system, which has now been rectified and I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I take on board your comments regarding your dining experience and will certainly ask my Restaurant Manager to review standards of service with her team.

Thank you again and I do hope you will return to Matfen Hall at some point in the future.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Lovely service on arrival. Receptionist was very personable, friendly and informative.
Rooms were a bit warm where as the rest of the hotel was rather cool.
We had booked evening meal for the 8 of us in the Library. This is where the service went down hill we ordered drinks at 1930 and at 20:10 four members of the party were still waiting for their drinks. We had to complain and eventually spoke to Duty Mgr who apologised and thought he had satisfied us by a 15% discount of the bill - which they forgot to apply.
Evening meal was amazing fully recommend the King Prawn Temperer [starter] Lamb [main course] and sticky toffee pudding with ice cream for dessert.
I felt the waitress service were in experienced and not attentive for a 4-5 star country retreat.
Lovely surroundings rooms lovely just feel service needs addressing.

Dear Guest

I was sorry to learn of your disappointment with the service you received at Matfen Hall, during your recent stay. I can assure you this is certainly not the ‘norm’ and I do apologise for the wait your party had for their reception drinks.

I am pleased your dining experience itself was enjoyable and I shall relay your kind words to my Head Chef and his team.

I do hope you are able to return to Matfen Hall in the near future, where I have every confidence you will experience our usual high standards of customer service.

Matfen Hall Hotel Golf & Spa

Been to Matfen Hall? Share your experiences!