“Fantastic restaurant and staff, let down by room and bad housekeeping” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Northover Manor Hotel

You added Northover Manor Hotel to your Saves list
Northover Manor Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Northover, Ilchester, Yeovil BA22 8LD, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ilchester
“Fantastic restaurant and staff, let down by room and bad housekeeping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Firstly, we have to say the warm and friendly service we were provided from start to finish by all the hotel staff was excellent (especially James who was extremely friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble).

The evening meal served in the restaurant was superb as was the service. Food was prepared and presented in an excellent manner, kitchen staff should receive extra commendation as the restaurant is the highlight of this hotel.

Our initial impression of our room was good, lovely wooden beams, fantastic view, cosy country feel.
However it didn't take us long to notice that other than the bed being changed the room had not been cleaned. The carpets had not been hoovered with no attempt to even pick up the big noticeable bits on the floor to conceal this. There was thick dust everywhere in the room, and big dusty cobwebs (we realise being in the country means spiders are inevitable but these webs had been there for some time for the thick build up of dust to amount which made them even more visible with the lights on. Then there was the lack of general maintenance, a missing bed knob, a broken glass lampshade, one lightbulb blown in the bedroom and two of the three in the bathroom. Dirty iron and iron board cover meaning staining of clothes is inevitable. The sign on the door with info is not correct. The bathroom had been cleaned somewhat, again big bits of tissue on the floor, dirty mirror, cobwebs over the mirror light, wall unit and beside the toilet. The lack of attention to maintenance in the bathroom was a let down as it was a nice suite but unfolded holes in walls and tiles, a hole in the wooden door and dirty toilet brush were disappointing. A full length mirror is definately needed in the room.

The room we stayed in let the hotel staff and restaurant down.

We were on a special offer so mayne that is why not as much attention was paid to our room. However if it wasn't for the staffs excellent service and the restaurant our stay would have been a big disappointment.

We would return if rooms were better
maintained and cleaned.

• Stayed July 2012
, Owner at Northover Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
This review poses a conundrum for me. Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with the restaurant review, there are issues related to the housekeeping assessments.
What is encouraging, is my disappointment is certainly matched by the girls in housekeeping who it has to be said were outraged by the comments made.
From time to time there are undeniably issues in the standards we set ourselves but I would like to think we are consistent in the main.
However having spoken to the Front of House Team who found the guests charming I cant understand why the issues werent raised with them. We would have had an opportunity to remove for example dusty cobwebs which must have been there for a considerable time. Replaced Light bulbs that clearly needed replacing rather than have guests fumbling round in the dark for example.
But for some reason it would seem a guest would prefer not to point out these alleged easily solveable problems but instead notify trip advisor.
Over the weekend in question my wife and I were on holiday so every aspect of this we are hearing and were unable to witness. I do hope the complimentary drinks that were offered and consumed eased your discontent which we had no idea of up until you posted your review.
We are flumoxed

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
somerset,england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Held my 40th birthday party here!They were great,very helpful and accomodating.Had a number of rooms booked for guests which they were all very pleased with.Function room was lovely...food great both in taste and quantity.Really enjoyed the occasion and would love to return soon.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thatcham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We really enjoyed our recent stay, the location is beautiful in a local village. The hotel itself is quite old but has been decorated very well and is very modern. The service was exceptional and they were very helpful. The restaurant was lovely as well and recommned you eat there.

Chatham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I would just like to say that we found the rooms,food and staff excellent at this hotel.We stayed at the Northover for a rather sad occasion and the staff were so thoughtful and attentive,they made a very difficult time pleasant and bearable.Well done to you all,and many thanks. The hotel and grounds are lovely and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel on this occasion and for any future stays. Mrs Jan Ross,Chatham,Kent

Stevenage, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Had booked this hotel a long time ago. Was using it as a stop over for one night on route back from St.Ives in Cornwall. Received a phone whilst on route that our room was having plumbing difficulties. We went to the hotel and found that there was a wedding taking place on that day. We had been moved to another place down the road. We had just come from a five star hotel and where then shown a room which we had not booked and which would have been hard pressed to have even been given a one star. I would not have stayed in the allotted replacement accommodation for anything. I couldn't image what someone was thinking of. I found it necessary to complete the full journey from St.Ives to my home. I was not a happy bunny. I had selected the Northover Manor Hotel as I liked what I had seen. Sadly I didn't get the chance to sample its delights.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

My husband and I went in for his 40th birthday and enjoyed a great personal service. Every member of the staff was extremely helpful and nice to us. We had dinner in the hotel as it came with our package, and we were glad we did.
The food was very well prepared and the chef makes this hotel. My husband had steak (he always has steak where ever we go and so we have had lots of steaks, trust me) and he said "this probably is the best steak I have ever had". I had the burger and it was fantastic too. The chips (triple cooked) is a must have, I always had extra portion.
There is a complimentary breakfast (full English) which nice as well.
The dessert menu needs more attention, not much options and not as good as the main meal. There were ice-creams and sorbets, sticky toffee pudding, rhubarb stuff and not much more. i found this a let down as the dessert is the last impression a customer leaves with.

We stayed in Room 1, it was clean and comfortable. I found the walls seperating one room from the other to be too thin. We could hear our next door inhabitants snoring and other conversations loud and clear. Due to this my first night wasn't that restful but I got used to it by the second night.

You are provided with towels and complimentary soap, you may need to take your own soap if you use a lot of it. The shower system was very effective.
We visited Clarks Village and went to the cinema, I am sure there are lots of there things one can do too. There is a tv, iron and writing desk with a few socket scattered around.

This hotel is cosy and intimate and I love that about a place.

There was a wedding when we visited but it didn't mar our visit at all.
Yes I will go again just because of the quality of food and the good service recieved.

Room Tip: The hotel is right on a busy road, so ask for room inside the hotel and not by the road directly.
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed for two nights mid week recently, having to visit the nearby air base and did not expect the hotel to be as good as it turned out to be. From an easy, friendly check in to the very comfortable room mixing modern touches with classic style it was quite a surprise. The hotel grounds are lovely, with a handy outdoor courtyard and interesting and well decorated interior. To put a picture in your mind, imagine a place where horses go past each morning and ivy playfully covers the front of the hotel.

The restaurant deserves particular praise, I have never eaten such high quality and well presented food for the price and I have eaten in a variety of good restaurants before. The very affordable Applewood Burger, using freshly ground beef steak and the local cheese was absolutely gorgeous and the chips cooked three ways made it even nicer. Looking at the rest of our groups choices, I would have happily eaten them all! The hand cooked breakfasts were also top class. Keep it up, i'd happily go back just to eat here again.

All of the staff were very friendly and courteous and all seemed to care about the hotel and were rightfully proud to be part of it.

My only downside was the fact the room walls are quite thin, and in particular the extractor fan in the bathroom next door was alarmingly loud. This wasn't a problem as I was up early for work but might not be so nice if you require a weekend lie-in. This wasn't enough for me to rate this anything less than 5 though and the rest was so good it's easy to forgive.

Fully recommended.

Room Tip: There is a local spa type shop at the garage 2 minutes walk down the road if you require any bits-an...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Northover Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!