“Poor” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dodworth
Sheffield
“Poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed here recently, and found standards, particularly in the restaurant, to be poor.

The room itself was large, and what you would expect from a hotel chain, however in the bathroom the plug mechanism from the sink was missing. I had to put the plug in with my hand, then in order to empty the water out I had to scrabble with my fingernails to pull it back out; all around the plug was slime and old soap where it had not been cleaned properly. It was disgusting.

I am vegetarian, and there was only one vegetarian option at dinner, so no choice. The main course was a very small portion of stir fried vegetables and noodles, all of which were tasteless and there was no protein element to the dish. At lunch the following day there was no vegetarian option at all. I was offered plain pasta. Breakfast was good, except that we were not offered coffee. When the waitress brought round tea, I asked for coffee and was told she would bring some, but she never did.

On the positive side, the staff were all friendly, though there were not enough of them to do the job properly. We had a long wait to check in as only one member of staff was available, and she was on the phone. Another waitress at breakfast might have meant we got coffee.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Helen M,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I'm delighted you found our large rooms and friendly staff commendable. I am sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret that you were not satisfied with the check in process, services and food served at the restaurant as well as bathroom amenities. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences for us to improve on our services for our next guest or your next visit.

Once again thank you for bringing this to our attention, as we pride ourselves on excellent customer service. Hope to see you soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here last night for a conference and had great time. My room was lovely, modern and spacious. The food in the main restaurant was tasty and the service was great! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Beverley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I feel incredibly let down by this hotel, I was here 11.10.12 overnight for a conference. When I left ,I realised I had left a top in the wardrobe. Knowing that the Holiday Inn is such reputable company, I thought "no need to worry" how wrong I was.

When I got home, I called the hotel's front reception to ask them to check the room for my top and to send it to me in the post. I was a little surprised when the lady on reception didn't seem very confident and said she would not take my address until the room had been checked. At this point, being reunited with my top seemed a little less likely.

When the receptionist returned my call, she informed me that my top was not there and there was nothing else she could do. The problem I have with this is that I did not leave the hotel for the 24hrs I was there and did not actually wear the top, it went from my bag to the wardrobe, where else could it be? Now this top is a special top but it did not posess the ability to leave the room alone and thus somebody who works for the hotel or who holds keys for the hotel's rooms would be the obvious assumption. Now I completely appreciate that it was a beautiful top but it is mine and I would like it back.

The hotel has offered nothing to ease my loss and when I said I would like to complain, I was given an e mail address. Now call me old fashioned but I would have thought it would be courteous to offer me a person to speak to.

I would seriously have to consider staying at a Holiday Inn again and certainly would not take anything valuable with me. I just feel incredibly let down.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barnsley, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Cydney86,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed here for a friends wedding. The price was reasonable plenty of parking. Pool facilities in building next door but didn't use these. The foyer is huge and very pretty. The staff are polite and friendly. Plenty to choose at breakfast. The rooms were spacious , only thing the radiator didn't heat the room up much even when on full. Apart from that would recommend as a place to stay

• Stayed October 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We went to the Holiday Inn in Barnsley on 7th Oct for lunch, and it was the best Sunday lunch for a long time.
I had sea food risotto, turkey dinner, then profiteroles. For 14.95 it was fab, deff worth going to.
The staff were really nice too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a very nice hotel. The public areas are all tastefully decorated and the food was of a high quality. We had the continental breakfast which we thought was very good value. It is a great bonus being able to use the Bannatynes Gym next door, which is also done to a high standard. The hotel is in a great location - very close to the Peak District if you're here for leisure rather than business. As it is a pet friendly hotel we came with our dog which was brilliant. We didn't have any complaints really - our room was quite noisy the first night due to a large function downstairs playing loud music till the early hours but that didn't spoil our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I used this venue for a function for over 140 guests. Close to the M1 motorway is serve the country well as a central location. Very clean and tidy. The staff were all excellent. The food was spot on, no grumbles at all. Staying the night we had a well appointed clean and modern room. Great value with top service. So good its booked again for next year.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Barnsley? Share your experiences!