“Tastefully traditional, outstanding value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of George Hotel

Save Saved
You added George Hotel to your Saves list
George Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Swan Square, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent ST6 2AE, England (Formerly Swallow)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Burslem
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Tastefully traditional, outstanding value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The courtesy of the staff at The George was second to none. My room was immaculately clean and tidy - for the price I paid I was not expecting all the most welcome extras! I will make sure I stay at this hotel again when I visit Stoke on Trent. It is in the heart of Arnold Bennett land, and is steeped in history. And just yards from the public house where Robbie Williams spent some of his childhood with his family! Thank you to the manager, Sharon and her staff. Loved my stay, just wish it had been longer.

Room Tip: Sorry, pressed the wrong button - there isn't a swimming pool!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I know that I was looking for accommodation on a budget for one night’s stay after a concert but this hotel is as tired as I was when we arrived after 1am. The furniture in my single room (110) had missing handles and was water stained. The red curtains clashed horribly with scuffed terracotta walls and the headboard had obviously been removed for some reason as there were wall plugs sticking out of the wall. The bathroom plumbing smells. My daughter's room had a dodgy lock, no working hairdryer (for a teenager!!) and worse still no internet access.

I paid £100 for two rooms for one night. No breakfast. If all you want is a bed with clean sheets and pleasant desk staff you'll love this hotel.

Room Tip: I was told that some rooms have been referbished. Try one on these?
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Burslem hotels

Stoke on Trent
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Living out of the area my husband and I decided it would be nice to book a 3 night stay over the weekend of my parents wedding.

My husband checked into our room (Double Room, Single Occupancy - charged as a double room and all 3 nights had to be paid for on arrival!) his initial impression of our room was 'tired and in need of re-decoration' the carpets were stained in our room and the curtains aged. My Dad and Brother were also shipped off to the hotel for the night whilst I stayed home alone with Mum. My Dad and Brother were allocated a twin room with pink, yes PINK bathroom - I ask you!

On my arrival (the wedding day - Saturday 25 May) on the surface all seemed well.

The afternoon buffet served was good. Drinks expensive and there was a severe lack of service from the more often than not missing bar staff!

As the afternoon progressed into evening more patrons of the hotel began to collect in the lounge area which was supposed to be 'exclusive' use only on this day. A group of 'Brummies' were staying in the hotel and going to see the Rocky Horror at the theatre, in full 'cross' dress. My Mum was utterly offended that not only were they able to use the 'exclusive' lounge but also kept asking for a photograph with the bride.

My Dad asked if it was possible to use the ballroom early to avoid the offensive patrons; access was granted. The corridor smelt musty leading down to the function room, clearly because it isn't used that often so kept closed up with no air circulating.

An ale was supposed to be on tap in the ballroom; my Dad had chosen 'Speckled Hen' his favourite tipple - it never arrived! Drinks were advised at a set price only to find in reality the prices were charged higher.

Again, the calibre of the buffet was good. Just a shame no food was set aside for the Bride & Groom to eat in the evening and leftovers were taken away far to early. No Wedding Cake was cut but Mum and Dad had provided cake bars to be sliced and served at the buffet.

Early in the evening there was a drink spill on the dance floor; one of the evening guests happened to slip and fall heavily on his left side. There were no staff around to help, apology made nor effort to clean up. I had to approach the bar staff and ask for a clean up; another half an hour later a small 'half hearted' clean up was made. No staff member apologised or asked about the person, whether they were ok or if there was anything they could do. Neither was there an accident book produced to record the event. Health & Safety? Public Liability?

Mum & Dad were checked into the hotel for their wedding night too; a little after midnight we made our way back through the lounge to our rooms. The Rocky Horror Patrons had returned to the hotel and were in the lounge eating the left over buffet food that my Mum and Dad had paid for. As we passed by a derogatory comment was made about me and the group laughed at my expense!

The following morning breakfast was a positive experience and again the food was good.

My husband and I took Mum and Dad home and packed up the car with gifts and balloons, cases and the new Mr & Mrs. We were out for the full day, returning to the hotel at 10:30pm to find the entrance doors not only closed but locked! We had to knock several times on the front door to gain entrance to the hotel; only to find a young girl on reception alone.

Mum and Dad reminded me to ask about the left over wedding cake. I spoke to the young receptionist who rang the Manager - Sharon at home to ask of it's whereabouts. The response was 'in the bin'. With this comment I advised I would speak to Sharon the following day as we departed.

Monday 27 May; departure day. Breakfast was good! The car packed up and our key handed back at reception I started the conversation with Sharon about left over wedding cake - it turns out it was indeed put in the bin! Not only that but Sharon also insulted me by trying to pass off the left over buffet that was being eaten by the Rocky Horror Patrons as provided to 'late night guests from the wedding' I ask you - would cross dressed men really turn up to a conventional wedding, inebriated and post midnight...... VERY VERY DOUBTFUL SHARON!!!!! When I raised the issue about the offensive comments Sharon was a little coy.... an insistence was made that when Mum and Dad returned from honeymoon (I gave her the expected date of return) she would add it to her diary to ensure she called them to apologise and make a good will offer to them. They returned 1 calendar month ago and they are still waiting for the call.

Overall, we had a wonderful weekend but that had nothing to do with the Hotel; I had waited 28 years to see my Mum and Dad married..... it was the best day of their lives and one of my proudest days too.

I wouldn't approach this venue for an Event if it was the last place in Stoke on Trent - I can say that; I have my own company and organise events for a living!

Sharon - you should be ashamed not to have contacted my Mum and Dad and made your offer, venues only survive on word of mouth, I see a lot more negative comments on this site about the hotel than good!

I can truly say I wouldn't recommend and I certainly wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Booked to stay here for a night stop in June.
The area itself isn't the greatest but there's a few nice pubs around.
The hotel was lovely, you get what you pay for.
The pub was nice, the food was very good and the service from the staff was amazing- they were so helpful and friendly.
Probably the best staff service I've ever had (and I've stayed in a fair amount of hotels) from the girls working the 30th June evening.
Nice hotel, would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We eat regularly at The George Hotel and never had a bad experience. The staff are absolutely fantastic and can never do enough for you. I would recommend the food here especially the Sunday Carvery - fantastic value

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on the 21st june for one nite in a triple room costin £60. Great location nice cheap pubs on ur doorstep, great service clean rooms massive bathroom. Would definatly reccomend! Please egnore all the negative comments

• Stayed June 2013
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed here while attending a function at the same hotel.

Check in was quick and efficient and the lady who checked us in was friendly and chatty.

The room was clean and tidy but in need of refurbishment, in particular the end of the single extra bed for our son had collapsed, not a major problem as he is very small and doesn't sleep at that end, but it does need sorting. The room we had was very light and airy compared with a lot of chain hotels. The bathroom was clean and everything worked but appeared to have walls made of kitchen worktop which was quite strange. The free wifi worked well in the room. It was quite noisy in the room but that was due to the function we were attending so I suppose we can't complain but others should be aware.

There doesn't appear to be a lot to do around the hotel - we went for a wander with the aim of going out for a coffee and cake, but there only seem to be pubs in the local area and we ended up getting some biscuits from the local B&M store. It would be fine if you were after a pint!

Parking is difficult and very limited in the hotel car park. There is parking on the street outside but it is pay and display so you would have to get up early the next morning to feed the meter.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room away from the bar area and function room if there is a function on and you wa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!