“Fine for one night” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Himley Country Hotel

You added Himley Country Hotel to your Saves list
Himley Country Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   School Road, Himley DY3 4LG, England (Formerly Best Western)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Himley
Peak District
“Fine for one night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We also attended the Paperweight conference in June but fortunately had fewer problems than a previous reviewer. The hotel is in a quiet, semi-rural location with a large car park on two sides. Our room was on the ground floor and quite small (our fault for booking late!) but well appointed other than a bedside lamp which didn't work. The real downside of the rooms is that the bathroom fans sound like Vulcan bombers taking off and can be heard from room to room - bad enough in the day but a real nuisance in the night. The conference venue was well organised and the staff very helpful in terms of bringing more chairs, etc and the buffet lunch was excellent and far more comprehensive than we might have expected. The evening meal was good if not exciting and breakfast was very good. I will say, however, that the coffee was appalling at every turn! I'm not a fan of strong coffee but something apparently made with one grain of coffee to several gallons of water is also unacceptable. The staff were excellent other than a largely absent (and rather brusque) barman on the Saturday night but, to be fair, we had seen him throughout the day doing a number of jobs - is this another hotel which is badly understaffed? When will hotel owners learn that the only way to give really good customer service is to have a really full complement of staff? In essence, as a venue for a conference, the hotel was more than adequate but the smaller bedrooms would be restricting if the stay were for more than one night or you had to spend any time in them. Size can be important!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Tigerseye45

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found the conference well organised and the staff helpful. We take on board your other comments and will use them in our staff training.

I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again

Matt Pullen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Dereham, Norfolk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were part of a large group booked into this hotel for our Paperweight conference weekend 13th - b15th June 2013.
Our room was 2011 which was a double, after reading the reviews on trip advisor I decided to ask for an upgrade on arrival, however I was told there were no upgrades available but was assured by the manager that the room we had was the largest double also a very quiet room.
I also asked if I could borrow an iron and ironing board whilst I was checking in.(they arrived at the room before I did, what good service is that!).
There is no lift in the hotel but quite a lot of stairs, our room was on the 1st floor.
First impression of the room not bad for a three star, however the bathroom was not so good.
I went into the bathroom to get ready for evening dinner, as I went to pull the shower curtain across the whole rail fell down and landed on my arm. At first I thought it was broken as my fingers started to swell and it was very painful. I went down to reception and the assistant manageress filled out an accident report. Fortunately it wasn't broken just badly bruised.
A maintenance man came to repair the shower.(he was also the barman etc), he climbed on the bath extended the poles and put the rail back up, I asked him if it was safe, he replied that this was always happening.
Dinner was at 7pm, it took ages nearly 31/2 hrs as the hotel restaurant was very overbooked, the assistant manageress told us the kitchen couldn't cope.
We had two lights on our headboard, only one worked, we were told the fittings were broken and it couldn't be mended, we was offered a lamp.
We had instructions for setting the alarm clock, shame we didn't have a clock!!!
As for our room being a quiet room, forget it all the water pipes and tanks are above and make a hell of a noise all day and night! Also really uncomfortable lumpy mattress and poor quality pillows.
The shower rail fell down again, it couldn't be fixed so the assistant manageress told us just to use the shower with a curtain and use towels to mop up the floor.
During the afternoon I went back to our room to get something and discovered our door had been left on the catch by the maintenance man, so anyone could have just walked in, luckily they didn't.
As the bar was closing at 10.40pm we tried to get another drink, we were told they couldn't except cash after 10.30pm. When questioned about this we were told the drinks could only be charged to our room with a registered card in case we decided to do a runner.
After breakfast we asked to leave the dining room and take our coffee into the bar to drink because they wanted our table.
Our paperweight club had booked several rooms and nearly all had to complain about their showers and bathrooms, one elderly 86year old had the complete shower head fall on her, another had to fill a bin to flush their toilet.
I will say the breakfasts were good, also the set meals for the 76 people who sat down to our club meal on the Saturday evening was good.
The staff are very good, and work hard, the assistant manageress dealt with our complaint and many others very professionally she couldn't have done any more to resolve the problems.
The whole hotel is in need of a complete refurbishment and he HEALTH & SAFETY of the hotels needs to be addressed before someone is seriously hurt.
Hopefully the company or person who owns the hotel will address he problems because at the moment it is nowhere near a 3 star!!!

Room Tip: Our friends had a suite which looked really nice, I can't vouch for the functional parts i.e sho...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for pointing out the positives of your stay, it is always nice to hear that the staff have done everything they can.
I can only apologise for the experience you shared with us, I am aware of the required upgrade needed in the bathrooms and we are working hard to get this resolved. I have spoken to our maintenance team and gone through our procedure when in a guests bedroom while you are still staying with us. The door should not have been left on the latch and I am confident this will not happen again to any future guests.
I hope you were not hurt too badly from your incident with the shower rail and you have now recovered. We have gone round and secured all of the shower rails to the walls where we felt the suction was failing.
It is company policy that guests who have not given a pre-authorisation of a credit or debit card cannot get drinks from the bar on to their room bill, however I do acknowledge that the till was cashed up before time and I can sympathise with your frustration.
We were advised by the organizer that there would be 10 people dining from your group on Friday, this was changed to 20 on arrival, which we could cater for comfortably, however, in reality the 20 people turned into 60 people which I would like to think any restaurant would have struggled with this un-announced tripling of the covers expected. I understand that the restaurant staff were advising people that there would be a wait due to the volume in the restaurant and I understand that the guests accepted that. As the majority of food is cooked fresh and the grills are of a certain size, to ensure that the food quality and food safety is upheld, time was taken.
I would like to invite you back to the hotel for a complimentary two night stay so you can experience the hotel as we know it can be. Please contact me directly to book this and if an upgrade is available I will ensure this is allocated to you.

Matt Pullen

Travelers are raving about these Himley hotels

Hove
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Like a previous poster we booked on a KGB deal and Head Office had not informed the hotel to expect us. Due to this, and them not having any family rooms available, we were given a standard double room. This was far too small and really needed some updating and decorating.

We would question how fresh / homemade any of the food is and wonder how many microwaves are in the kitchen.

There seem to be a lot of positive reviews on here, so it's a real shame we didn't get one of the rooms that these people have had. There was also a wedding one of the night's we were staying and they weren't particularly considerate to the other guests.

One a very positive note, the staff members are a credit to the hotel. Every single one. Polite and helpful.

Room Tip: There is no lift, ground floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Richard

Thank you for your comments. It is great to hear that you felt the staff are a credit to the hotel as we pride ourselves on our customer service You are correct in what you say regarding the decor of the hotel, it is something we are working on week in, week out to improve and update all of our bedrooms.

We buy the majority of our menu in fresh, however with some of the menu items microwaves are used.

Solihull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed on a weekend break and wedding reception.
The hotel has had very varied reviews and these reflect the age and ageing decor mainly.
The service and the food are both first class and the staff were really prepared to make great efforts, for example, they made us some sandwiches in the bar when the restaurant had closed.
The rooms are a bit tired and could certainly do with some upgrade as they have great character.
The location is peaceful and attractive.
The breakfast is of the buffet type, but well run and kept fresh and hot; the toaster was early 19th century however which led to a massive toast queue.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Jack

Thank you very much for your comments, it it lovely to read good comments about our staff and food. We have an ongoing maintenance programme which allows us to update rooms but I do concede this is a long process. As for the toaster, I appreciate your comments and will pass them on to the purchasing manager.

Geneal Manager
Harlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We turned up to find that the reservation that we had made (through a KGB Deals Offer) hadn't been received by the hotel. This wasn't the first time that this had happened apparently. After a quick phone call the reservation was found and we were allocated our room - we are a family of 4 and were given two adjoining rooms (rooms 102&103) - 1 double and 1 twin room. The children (5&7) loved having their own room and we were very grateful too!! The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the service at breakfast was great (although I didn't think the sausages were particularly good!). Yes, the decor is dated and the hotel could do with a refurb, but it was very clean and tidy and the staff all take great pride in what they do. I would stay here again, but would definitely try to get the same 2 rooms!

Dear Nick

I am pleased to hear that you would stay with us again based on our customer service and hospitality. I appreciate that the hotel is tired in places and our ongoing maintenance programme will allow us to update where necessary. I have passed your comments on to our head chef regarding the sausages and he will be speaking to the butcher to discuss the quality. To ensure you have the same rooms on your next visit, you will need to specify the room numbers to the reception team when making your booking as we have more than one room of this type.

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel for one night. The hotel is very tired and dated. The staff were very friendly the rooms although could do with a bit of DIY and updating were spotlessly clean. The breakfast was exellent. We paid £49 for two,bargain so cant complain.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Freddie

Thank you for your positive comments, we are undergoing maintenance and updating our bedrooms, as I am sure you can appreciate this is a time consuming task but we hope to get round all the bedrooms by the end of the year.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

First on arrival, there is a warm greeting. Given our room keys for a room on the first floor.
As soon as you walk down to your room you realise, the hotel is somewhat quirky, random space with floor to ceiling mirrors, out of date decor and carpets. Yet clean and kept clear of rubbish etc..
Then we opened the door to our room, first the few positives there are.
The bedroom is clean, the sheets and bedding are clean, there is a flat screen tv, free wifi. Tea and coffee.
Now the negatives, first we are a family of 4 and had asked for a family room. My youngest has just turned 3 years of age.
We were given a very small shower room, no bath and my youngest cant take showers, the shower room was big enough for 1, yes just 1 person. It looks as if it hasn't had any work done to it since the hotel was built. Very out dated.
The room it's self was soooooooo tired, an 80s throw back.
Beds that have seen better days, also the 2 seater sofa, the only 1 yet we are a family of 4 was worn out same as the carpet. All this squashed into a small room, suitable for a couple and maybe a newborn baby. Again very poor outdated decor and fittings. Didn't sleep well at all, because the room was uncomfortable
I must say the staff at this hotel were very polite and understanding that the hotel needs major investment, then reopen and then have a name change. As its just had its name changed, I'd say that's all tho.
Breakfast was very nice, had to wait a bit for sausages and bacon, but we didn't mind that as you know everything is freshly cooked. The only thing that needs looking at it the coffee is of poor standard, very easy to sort that out.
The breakfast room was clean, a bit dated tho.
At the present time I would not stay at this hotel unless time, money and taste was used on this place.

Room Tip: Chose a different place to stay.
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. It is very pleasing to hear that you felt the hotel was clean and the staff were welcoming and friendly. You are correct in what you say regarding the decor of the hotel, it is something we are working on week in, week out to improve and update our bedrooms.

Great to hear your comments regarding breakfast and you are right, when you know it's fresh you don't mind the wait. I will look into the coffee myself as I am a big coffee drinker.

Matt Pullen

Been to Himley Country Hotel? Share your experiences!